U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
andd the winner issssssss..........

In the 'exhaust'ential posting category....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,190,241 times
I would respond again but nancy the reader removes all of my posts for no apparent reason while allowing everyone else to ramble and post whatever they want...she must not like me. DAS RACIS!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,847,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I agree Patchogue Village does have aesthetic appeal going for it.

Well I don't know about seeing happy endings in neighbors windows, but if you did those improvements in the bolded paragraph today , holy crap you would get tarred and feathered on taxes! Expanding out is suicide. Up is ok. Sounds nice though. Doesn't it suck how prohibitive it's become where doing nice QOL improvements to your home like this are nearly impossible to do today because of the ridiculous taxes on LI?
Thanks! My parents expanded up, too. With four kids, they had to. The top floor, which was originally meant as an attic, became a bedroom. A lot of people in the neighborhood did that, actually.

No idea what the people who eventually bought the house did with it structurally. I drove by when I first moved back here and was annoyed at what I saw. They took out all of the fabulous landscaping my dad did in the front yard, and you could see the foundation! But, that's Bay Shore in the Brentwood school district for you. Shrubberies are just more stuff to take care of. Not what it was when I was a kid, and even then, its best years were behind it. Only the old-timers really took care of their homes. The rest of the neighborhood succumbed to Brentwood-creep.

That's why I'm glad downtown Bay Shore is in good shape again. I think it's better than Patchogue for a night out, but Patchogue is right behind it. Maybe the revitalized downtowns will bring up the rest of their respective areas. Who wouldn't want that for their hometown?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,225,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I would respond again but nancy the reader removes all of my posts for no apparent reason while allowing everyone else to ramble and post whatever they want...she must not like me. DAS RACIS!
Calling out Mods will get you everywhere Shirley.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,036,542 times
When it comes to Suffolk vs. Nassau - Suffolk is FAR better than Nassau and has more to offer. World class in beaches and natural beauty, world class in the arts, world class in sports, far better than Nassau when it comes to higher education, world class as a destination for the rich and famous. People from Nassau who call Suffolk a dump do not know what they speak of.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
When it comes to Suffolk vs. Nassau - Suffolk is FAR better than Nassau and has more to offer. World class in beaches and natural beauty, world class in the arts, world class in sports, far better than Nassau when it comes to higher education, world class as a destination for the rich and famous. People from Nassau who call Suffolk a dump do not know what they speak of.
I'm not a Suffolk hater, but I've never heard it described as such. Really? How so? Please provide examples of Suffolk's "world class-ness" in these areas. For example, world class in the arts makes me think of Paris (France, not Texas) or Rome (Italy, not New York). I know Suffolk has polo and equestrian sports ... but that is for a very limited audience, not "world" class global interest by any means. As for "higher education," there are no "world" class colleges in Suffolk (nor in Nassau for that matter).

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I'm not a Suffolk hater, but I've never heard it described as such. Really? How so? Please provide examples of Suffolk's "world class-ness" in these areas. For example, world class in the arts makes me think of Paris (France, not Texas) or Rome (Italy, not New York). I know Suffolk has polo and equestrian sports ... but that is for a very limited audience, not "world" class global interest by any means. As for "higher education," there are no "world" class colleges in Suffolk (nor in Nassau for that matter).
You know I am a wee bit biased but:

New Research By Stony Brook University Scientist Explains Why More Species Live In The Amazon Rainforests

Quote:
Its membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) places Stony Brook among the top 63 research institutions in North America. U.S. News & World Report ranks Stony Brook among the top 50 public universities in the nation, and Stony Brook ranked 78th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
A Century of the Leakey Family in East Africa A Century of the Leakey Family in East Africa

Famed Anthropologist Richard Leakey Joins Stony Brook University

http://www.turkanabasin.org/

Quote:
Founded by Richard Leakey and Stony Brook University in 2005, The Turkana Basin Institute is an international, multi-disciplinary organization supporting scientific research in the Turkana Basin region of northern Kenya.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,036,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

OBH answered my point about higher education. Though I didn't say SB was world class (it probably is if we looked deeper), just that it's far better than any college or university that Nassau has to offer.

Polo and equestrian are legitimate sports. They are widely followed among the elite in countries like the UK, Argentina, Uruguay, etc. and Suffolk is an important venue to those sports. The Black Course is a venue for the US Open golf championship, if you want a sport with a wider audience. It's about quality, not quantity. How about Nassau?

In terms of the arts - wealthy avid collectors buy artwork from the network of galleries in the east end.

Beaches - how does Jones Beach compare with South Hampton?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
OBH answered my point about higher education. Though I didn't say SB was world class (it probably is if we looked deeper), just that it's far better than any college or university that Nassau has to offer.

Polo and equestrian are legitimate sports. They are widely followed among the elite in countries like the UK, Argentina, Uruguay, etc. and Suffolk is an important venue to those sports. The Black Course is a venue for the US Open golf championship, if you want a sport with a wider audience. It's about quality, not quantity. How about Nassau?

In terms of the arts - wealthy avid collectors buy artwork from the network of galleries in the east end.

Don't forget Shinnecock Hills in Southampton. It ranked #3 nationally by Golf Digest. I am trying to see where it stands globally.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:

It's one non-Ivy non-top 25 state school (although, yes, with some impressive aspects to it), not a HUB of elite educational institutions, for crying out loud. I don't have any special high regard for Nassau's colleges, yet only ONE notable non-Ivy, non-top 25 higher education institution in Suffolk does not make Suffolk's entire group of higher educational institutions significantly better than Nassau's. I'll be kind and say they are about even, when taken as a whole. Let's get real here.

Nonetheless, they're small sports for a limited audience and they have other bigger and more elegant venues across the world. Suffolk certainly has no global monopoly on polo or equestrian activities. Also, the North Shore of Nassau County has plenty of equestrians too. Nassau at least has a coliseum (with a NATIONAL hockey team) for several decades. Suffolk has no coliseum and no national sports franchises. Again, let's get real here. Suffolk has a few sweet spots, I will agree, but Suffolk County as a whole being considered world class in sports is seriously reaching.

As for the Black Course, it is located in NASSAU County. Reaching much? Nice try. LOL.

When I thought world class, I was thinking museums and big auction houses. Art galleries are everywhere in the NYC metropolitan area, including Nassau. There is nothing special out in the Hamptons and way above galleries in Nassau or NYC just because vacationers to the area shop there because they are convenient to their summer homes. You think the elite art world beats a path to the Hamptons galleries in the winter because they're just so special people make trips out there off season? Many of them are probably not even open in the winter.

Beaches is the one place where I did not challenge your assumptions, as there are some world class beaches in Suffolk and none that I am aware of in Nassau. For example, America's Top 10 Beaches and there are two in the Hamptons, including Coopers at the #1 spot:

http://www.gadling.com/2010/05/28/co...t-fla-beach-2/

Here's the 2011 list, on which Main Beach is mentioned again:

http://www.drbeach.org/top10beaches.htm

Now that's more like world class instead of just blowing smoke because a person has something against Nassau County. All I'm asking is that if people make grand and all-encompassing "world class" assumptions, then they should be able to back them up too. Beaches, I totally agree with because it is a fact that world class beaches exist in Suffolk and not in Nassau.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 12-07-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Example of World Class Suffolk Beaches Added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island