U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,189,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Let it be it's own cool downtown. Sayville is nice, but why emulate it? Patchogue has it's own vibe, pubs and restaurants and is appealing to a younger, vibrant crowd. You don't want a bunch of us old geezers hanging out down there, do ya sonny boy? LOL
I see where you are coming from and agree it has its own vibe.

But why emulate it? easy - because it works. Sayville was just a great example of a South Shore town with a great downtown that is pretty much problemless. The biggest problem Sayville has ever seen were the ghetto apartmens on the lakeland/Johnson junction and Fairfield recently purchased them and fixed them up.

Just seems to be a good role model for Neighboring Patchogue which has more problems then a math text book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,629,428 times
Lets get Drunk!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I see where you are coming from and agree it has its own vibe.

But why emulate it? easy - because it works. Sayville was just a great example of a South Shore town with a great downtown that is pretty much problemless. The biggest problem Sayville has ever seen were the ghetto apartmens on the lakeland/Johnson junction and Fairfield recently purchased them and fixed them up.

Just seems to be a good role model for Neighboring Patchogue which has more problems then a math text book.
Those apartments were atrocious.
IMHO, Sayville is nice, but I prefer Babylon Village -- it might be because I lived there as a young single. Sayville is a bit stodgy.

As a preservationist, it would have been awesome to have seen the old lace mill retrofitted into apartments, adding to the funky, youthful vibe. People like new, but one thing that gives the villages a sense of place is the link to the past. I love that the Brickhouse Brewery is in a circa 1850 building and that other older buildings are being repurposed.

Patchogue has taken a step in the right direction.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
IMHO, Sayville is nice, but I prefer Babylon Village -- it might be because I lived there as a young single. Sayville is a bit stodgy.

As a preservationist, it would have been awesome to have seen the old lace mill retrofitted into apartments, adding to the funky, youthful vibe. People like new, but one thing that gives the villages a sense of place is the link to the past. I love that the Brickhouse Brewery is in a circa 1850 building and that other older buildings are being repurposed.

Stodgy???

See I feel the opposite, to me Babylon is nice but Sayville has a charm like almost no other town on LI has, IMO

Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Stodgy???

See I feel the opposite, to me Babylon is nice but Sayville has a charm like almost no other town on LI has, IMO
OK -- you get Sayville, I get Babylon. We'll leave everyone else to argue over who gets PJV, Patchogue and Rocky Point

Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,221,965 times
Quote:
Stodgy???

Sayville is really disturbingly choked with car traffic in the Summer and a challenge to navigate on foot. I damn near got run over ON the sidewalk.

Shame, it was my favorite once.

These days Im loving Babylon, Bellport, Patchogue, Northport and Sag Harbor in Suffolk.
Advantage Babylon by a mile

Crooks

Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Patchogue? Sketchy? Del Fiore? Karl Ehmer? Have you even been to the Theater, the library, Queen City Cupcakes, Reese's, The Oar...??? Sketchy? Makes me wonder, when was the last time YOU were there, and where did you go?

Bars for teens? Not all bars are like this! I haven't been to all, but the ones I frequent most (Brick House and Reese's) have a very diverse crowd of all ages. Been there?

All the things I mentioned were actually things that turned me toward buying in Patchogue. Though I could have a completely different view on things since I am in the age group of people who you seem to be turn off by.

Open your eyes, Patchogue is changing for the GOOD.
He bought in Shirley when he couldve had Patchougue, hes just bitter, pay no mind.
; )

Patchougue is the new Port Jefferson.Anyone who doesent see it is high on nostalgia.To take it a step further youd have to be high on Toxic waste to not see that Port Jefferson is quickly becoming the old Patchogue in terms of drifters and skels.

They better get it together quick in PJ, the locals are definitely heading to the other side of 112 for a night out...and rightly so.

Crooks

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:

HUGE step

Tip a hat OBH.

HUGE improvement.

Crooks

Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
He bought in Shirley when he couldve had Patchougue, hes just bitter, pay no mind.
; )

Patchougue is the new Port Jefferson.Anyone who doesent see it is high on nostalgia.To take it a step further youd have to be high on Toxic waste to not see that Port Jefferson is quickly becoming the old Patchogue in terms of drifters and skels.

They better get it together quick in PJ, the locals are definitely heading to the other side of 112 for a night out...and rightly so.

Crooks
Oh I bought in Shirley? you don't sound asinine assuming or anything. I didn't know I owned a house here...thanks for letting me know though. Guess I am living in a dream world. If anyone is bitter it is you.

Funny how you would even say anything about Sayville. Hard to navigate on foot?! it is one of the most walkable towns in Suffolk. Please. You really are clueless and love giving people misleading information.

The reason why Sayville is jammed with traffic in the summer is because there are actually places to go and things to see there. Ever hear of teh Fire islandz?
there is a reason why house prices in Sayville are very high. It is a gem of a community and has held up well through everything while other towns have turned to crap. Patchogue is lightyears away from being even half of what Sayville is, or Babylon for that matter, and anyone who doesn't see THAT is blind. Or just plain indenial.

Last edited by ydsavaged; 12-21-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Oh I bought in Shirley? you don't sound asinine assuming or anything. I didn't know I owned a house here...thanks for letting me know though. Guess I am living in a dream world. If anyone is bitter it is you.

Funny how you would even say anything about Sayville. Hard to navigate on foot?! it is one of the most walkable towns in Suffolk. Please. You really are clueless and love giving people misleading information.

The reason why Sayville is jammed with traffic in the summer is because there are actually places to go and things to see there. Ever hear of teh Fire islandz?
there is a reason why house prices in Sayville are very high. It is a gem of a community and has held up well through everything while other towns have turned to crap. Patchogue is lightyears away from being even half of what Sayville is, or Babylon for that matter, and anyone who doesn't see THAT is blind. Or just plain indenial.

You raise a good point though Savaged, one which supports my argument. Sayville has very much become a victim of its own success.Its actually more crowded recently due to the re routing of the East Bound Oakdale merge.I agree Sayville is a wonderful town, but its about as "charming" as Huntington.I just like sleepier stuff and there are very few left. We agree on Blue Point if I were looking to enjoy Patchogue with better schools).Bellport and Northport both come to mind as well.

Patchogue is certainly no Sayville and still has its work cut out for it, but if its schools were half as good as what I have on the North Shore, Id move there tomorrow.

Patchogue is a great town with a bright future.

Crooks
PS
Ever heard of teh Davis Parkz lol

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-22-2011 at 06:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island