U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 AM

7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
PV is coming along nicely IMO.
Reese's, the theater, Del Fiore, Para Bell, and much more. And now there's Queen City Cupcakes, a Japanese Hibachi opening soon, Drove through tonight and the streets were crowded, on a Sunday!

as a couple in our 20's, we looked at houses in PJ and houses in PV. PV has so much more to offer for the money!
PJ is not a place I like hanging out at. Art galleries that have giclee's in the $3000+, trinket shops to... well, idk what kind of crowd the trinket shops are meant to cater to... Old ladies??? and every other store seems to sell sugar! Fudge, Ice cream, yogurt, cupcakes...
Thanks but not thanks. If it weren't for the bikers and 14 year old girls I think PJ would be in faster decline.
Other than the schools...I agree.
(Pat Meds a trainwreck)

As for PJ, they tossed out the bikers (and in came the skels)then they charged for parking lol.It really accelerated the decline greatly by sending the surrounding areas elsewhere for fun.

I think between the LIPA funds drying up to fund the schools and the Superfund site sliding into the Village...its a recipe for failure.Again I hope I'm wrong because it will impact the entire area.

I only needed to see guys in hazmat suits once at Rocketship park to send us packing.We go down to the bandshell park and L Dock in Patchogue all the time and we love it.

Looking forward to the Christmas show at Patchogue theater too.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-28-2011 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Other than the schools...I agree.
(Pat Meds a trainwreck)

As for PJ, they tossed out the bikers (and in came the skels)then they charged for parking lol.It really accelerated the decline greatly by sending the surrounding areas elsewhere for fun.

I think between the LIPA funds drying up to fund the schools and the Superfund site sliding into the Village...its a recipe for failure.Again I hope I'm wrong because it will impact the entire area.

I only needed to see guys in hazmat suits once at Rocketship park to send us packing.We go down to the bandshell park and L Dock in Patchogue all the time and we love it.

Looking forward to the Christmas show at Patchogue theater too.

Crooks
pat med schools are not as bad as you keep reminding everyone. My kids graduated from pat med, both did fine. Does it need to improve? Absolutely. The main problem is the illegals are bringing the test scores down. And don't blame Medford for the illegal problem, I lived there, and there are many more living in patchogue, this is a fact. And you really are paranoid about the superfund site! There are MANY on long island, and treated properly, don't cause problems. Did you know there are superfund sites down in patchogue? Are you gonna run from that also?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:49 AM

9,902 posts, read 12,973,449 times
Patchogue's bar scene is not about dive bars. The Tap Room is not a dive bar. Brick House is not a dive bar. Public House is a guido pit, but not a dive bar.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Do you really think people want to love in suffolk..they are just too poor to love closer to the city
Better to love in Suffolk than hate in Nassau.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
pat med schools are not as bad as you keep reminding everyone. My kids graduated from pat med, both did fine. Does it need to improve? Absolutely. The main problem is the illegals are bringing the test scores down. And don't blame Medford for the illegal problem, I lived there, and there are many more living in patchogue, this is a fact. And you really are paranoid about the superfund site! There are MANY on long island, and treated properly, don't cause problems. Did you know there are superfund sites down in patchogue? Are you gonna run from that also?
Interesting reading on the current Patchogue superfund site, discussing remediation, etc.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/remediati.../152182rod.pdf

Reading into it, it looks like Nat Grid is being held as a responsible party -- wonder how much of this mess the ratepayers are going to be paying for?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,188,678 times
Everyone needs to stop making Patchogue seem like its on some amazing upswing and a wonderful place to live. Not saying its bad, but its not exactly great either. Keep in mind we have newcomers to LI that come to this forum for reliable information - and Id say that 50% of the crap strewn around this board is false or misleading or opinionated by pompus aholes.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Everyone needs to stop making Patchogue seem like its on some amazing upswing and a wonderful place to live. Not saying its bad, but its not exactly great either. Keep in mind we have newcomers to LI that come to this forum for reliable information - and Id say that 50% of the crap strewn around this board is false or misleading or opinionated by pompus aholes.

Well, the part I put in bold can be said for all of Long Island. It's not what it once was in general. Mall culture destroyed a lot of the Main Street culture: When people stopped heading to town to shop, the restaurants there suffered, too. Maybe places like Sayville and Babylon Village weren't hit as hard, but their downtowns aren't what they were 30 years ago, either.

At any rate, Patchogue isn't perfect, but the downtown is much better than it was. Someone else mentioned Bay Shore. Same story with the downtown there. I have to give both communities props for their revitalization efforts.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
The fact of the matter is that Patchogue is on an upswing and any upswing is good, big or small. Compared to any other community on LI I'd say Patchogue is going through a bigger upswing than any other. Therefore, I don't think people are out of line when they insinuate that the change Patchogue is going through is amazing.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
The fact of the matter is that Patchogue is on an upswing and any upswing is good, big or small. Compared to any other community on LI I'd say Patchogue is going through a bigger upswing than any other. Therefore, I don't think people are out of line when they insinuate that the change Patchogue is going through is amazing.
Positive change is good -- not knocking improvements -- but how much of that change is superficial as opposed to addressing many of the core issues (absentee landlords, poorly regarded schools, etc.)?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,188,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Positive change is good -- not knocking improvements -- but how much of that change is superficial as opposed to addressing many of the core issues (absentee landlords, poorly regarded schools, etc.)?
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island