U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,177 posts, read 18,034,806 times
Reputation: 17571

Advertisements

2) The cheaters (the ones taking the exams) do not appear to be geniuses. One of them ended up at Stony Brook and I looked up his record - average at best. I guess, the cheaters are more entrepreneurial than anything

How would you have been able to look up a student's grades?
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
 
418 posts, read 914,937 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
2) The cheaters (the ones taking the exams) do not appear to be geniuses. One of them ended up at Stony Brook and I looked up his record - average at best. I guess, the cheaters are more entrepreneurial than anything

How would you have been able to look up a student's grades?
Faculty have access to transcripts of students within the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Selden New York
1,105 posts, read 1,632,694 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Did you pass your Regents yet?
I graduated so you fail agian go cook some dinner.
get back to me when you want to try and make yourself look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,312,268 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
this is news? please this is just as bad as the regents test
No you can"t open the test untill 12PM you have to stay for 2 hours
lol they probbly drop the test of in a Armored car with a soldier escorting it to the rooms LOL
That's just plain stupid. I was sitting around waiting for the 1.5 hours to elapse so I could go home (this was mainly on the math and science Regents I took so far), and yet despite all of these precautions, my friends say there were still people cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
 
239 posts, read 418,149 times
Reputation: 251
Nassau County must not have any real crime if the DA is going to arrest some punks for cheating on ridiculous standardized test. I'm all against cheating no matter what but how does this help create jobs and fix LI tax infrastructure? Let the schools and college boards deal with it.

The concept of the SAT/ACT has been a debate for several years. Some lobbyists in Washington, D.C. want to abolish it because for the most part it doesn't show how good of a student you are. For example, I didn't do so well on the SAT but maintained a high GPA and got accepted into prestigious undergraduate college and now I am in graduate school pursuing my master's in biomedical research. I had a classmate that had high SAT scores but a lousy GPA because he was lazy. Now he is on his 6th year of college obtaining a degree in philosophy. That shows you that being academically successful is about how hard you work and not what you get on a standardized test that requires you develop a well-written essay in 30 minutes.

Also the United States is the only nation that requires a standardized test for admission to undergraduate college education, and there has been rumors that you receive more points on your SAT if you're a minority. IMO that's where the real cheating is taking place.

My neighbor was an SAT prep tutor and two years ago one of the essay questions was "explain the prompt of American reality TV." Having a question like that for a college admission test is outrageous and there is nothing intellectual to that question. I don't blame people for becoming upset about SAT these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Long Island via Chapel Hill NC, Go Heels?
467 posts, read 613,847 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Nassau County must not have any real crime if the DA is going to arrest some punks for cheating on ridiculous standardized test. I'm all against cheating no matter what but how does this help create jobs and fix LI tax infrastructure? Let the schools and college boards deal with it.

The concept of the SAT/ACT has been a debate for several years. Some lobbyists in Washington, D.C. want to abolish it because for the most part it doesn't show how good of a student you are. For example, I didn't do so well on the SAT but maintained a high GPA and got accepted into prestigious undergraduate college and now I am in graduate school pursuing my master's in biomedical research. I had a classmate that had high SAT scores but a lousy GPA because he was lazy. Now he is on his 6th year of college obtaining a degree in philosophy. That shows you that being academically successful is about how hard you work and not what you get on a standardized test that requires you develop a well-written essay in 30 minutes.

Also the United States is the only nation that requires a standardized test for admission to undergraduate college education, and there has been rumors that you receive more points on your SAT if you're a minority. IMO that's where the real cheating is taking place.

My neighbor was an SAT prep tutor and two years ago one of the essay questions was "explain the prompt of American reality TV." Having a question like that for a college admission test is outrageous and there is nothing intellectual to that question. I don't blame people for becoming upset about SAT these days.
One can be successful at one point in academia and not in another point. I hold a 3.8 GPA as a senior in High School and I honestly don't care about most of the work, and going into College, it will be more focused because I'm picking schools that achieve focus right away and I will be more inclined to learn, take notes and do well to have a successful life.

That second point is idiotic. All that happens is that your test is sent to a venue for scanning tests on a scantron and then whatever the determined curve is what your score is. The only minority based debate for education that even makes sense anymore is that minorities (at least underrepresented ones such as Hispanics and African-Americans) receive more lenient admissions decisions and can get into colleges more easily due to affirmative action.

Your third point is just straight crap, because that was a prompt last year and I took it and got an 11/12. You don't even have to talk so much about TV, your words don't even have to be factual. You just have to have good spelling, grammar and paragraph structure and have something to do with the topic. I honestly just use famous figures like Gandhi or MLK for all the essays and do fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
 
239 posts, read 418,149 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
One can be successful at one point in academia and not in another point. I hold a 3.8 GPA as a senior in High School and I honestly don't care about most of the work, and going into College, it will be more focused because I'm picking schools that achieve focus right away and I will be more inclined to learn, take notes and do well to have a successful life.
I only get half of what you're saying here. Yes it's true that a person can be successful academically in college but not high school, but it's all what you make of it. Yes, all the subjects you learn in high school may not be interesting but that is not an excuse to be lazy and do poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
That second point is idiotic. All that happens is that your test is sent to a venue for scanning tests on a scantron and then whatever the determined curve is what your score is. The only minority based debate for education that even makes sense anymore is that minorities (at least underrepresented ones such as Hispanics and African-Americans) receive more lenient admissions decisions and can get into colleges more easily due to affirmative action.
I only said it was a rumor, therefore I shouldn't have posted it. But who knows the real truth with all the corruption these days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
Your third point is just straight crap, because that was a prompt last year and I took it and got an 11/12. You don't even have to talk so much about TV, your words don't even have to be factual. You just have to have good spelling, grammar and paragraph structure and have something to do with the topic. I honestly just use famous figures like Gandhi or MLK for all the essays and do fine
I don't know how Gandhi or MLK have anything to do with reality TV, but props to you if you found a connection. When people hear reality TV the first things that come to mind are Kardashians and Real Housewives. But come on, the SAT board couldn't think a more intellectual topic? Also spelling, grammar, and paragraph structure are important but there should be some grading on content too IMO. What is the point of having proper grammar and punctuation in an essay if the content is false?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,956,954 times
Reputation: 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I don't know how Gandhi or MLK have anything to do with reality TV, but props to you if you found a connection. When people hear reality TV the first things that come to mind are Kardashians and Real Housewives. But come on, the SAT board couldn't think a more intellectual topic? Also spelling, grammar, and paragraph structure are important but there should be some grading on content too IMO. What is the point of having proper grammar and punctuation in an essay if the content is false?
There is grading on the content with respect to how well you present your argument.

Given the sheer volume of students taking the SAT -- from the dolts to the geniuses -- the topic has to be something they all can express an opinion about. If the College Board came up with a subject 'Interpret the significance of social class in Victorian England as used by Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles', how many of the students will fall flat on their on tushies? How many will accuse the College Board of giving an exam that is biased?

The simple topic allows all who take the test to express themselves and permits those who are sophisticated writers to take their writing to a higher level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 AM
 
7,589 posts, read 8,013,779 times
Reputation: 8124
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There is grading on the content with respect to how well you present your argument.

Given the sheer volume of students taking the SAT -- from the dolts to the geniuses -- the topic has to be something they all can express an opinion about. If the College Board came up with a subject 'Interpret the significance of social class in Victorian England as used by Thomas Hardy in Tess of the d'Urbervilles', how many of the students will fall flat on their on tushies? How many will accuse the College Board of giving an exam that is biased?

The simple topic allows all who take the test to express themselves and permits those who are sophisticated writers to take their writing to a higher level.
That one had me choking on my sandwich from laughter. Good one OBH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 AM
 
2,852 posts, read 2,855,121 times
Reputation: 1172
The amount of taxpayer resources spent on this farce is getting out of hand. Maybe just give them a big fat ZERO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top