U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM

8 posts, read 11,876 times
Post Suffolk County Corrections Test

Has anyone taken the Suffolk County Corrections test and has inside information about it? I know they are opening a new prison in Yaphank and they may hire a couple hundred. Anyone heard anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 PM

15,512 posts, read 15,203,281 times
You missed the latest test:

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/civilservice/5501ann.html (broken link)

Did you know that in its entire history (since 1670), Suffolk County has never had a prisoner escape from one of their facilities:

Quote:
The Suffolk County Sheriff's Office has never had a single successful inmate escape from the county jail in the agencies entire history - since 1670. Inmates have escaped from District Court Detention, and while in transport but not from the jail itself.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/17332285-post2.html

A respectable and competent place to work! Be on the lookout for the next test date. Advice: Don't bother with the hellhole that is Nassau County's jail. Nothing but incompetence and mayhem. Just google it and see all the news stories on how terrible the conditions are there, all the trouble they are in, and what a horrible dump it is to work in (the rats that bite prisoners are the good part over there).

Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM

1,139 posts, read 994,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
A respectable and competent place to work! Be on the lookout for the next test date. Advice: Don't bother with the hellhole that is Nassau County's jail. Nothing but incompetence and mayhem. Just google it and see all the news stories on how terrible the conditions are there, all the trouble they are in, and what a horrible dump it is to work in (the rats that bite prisoners are the good part over there).

Shhh! Don't let gpsma see you say anything bad about beautiful, glorious Nassau. He can keep that broke dump

Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Shhh! Don't let gpsma see you say anything bad about beautiful, glorious Nassau. He can keep that broke dump
I don't think gpsma has any love for what's in the jail. LOL. Actually, that reminds me, did you know that the prisoners in Suffolk are TOO GOOD for Nassau's jail? It's true! Suffolk wanted to ease their overcrowding by sending some of their prisoners to be kept in Nassau, but New York State vetoed the plan because Nassau's jail is such a hellhole:

State Angry Over Nassau County Jail Violations - East Meadow, NY Patch

Quote:
State correction officials are upset that the East Meadow jail has failed to address several “deplorable” conditions affecting inmate facilities and scolded Nassau County jail officials in a scathing letter on Wednesday.

Until the violations are fixed, the state has denied the Nassau County Correctional Facility’s request to rent more than 500 empty jail cells to house Suffolk County prisoners.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM

8,681 posts, read 6,947,729 times
Default Waiter, fact-check, please.

Quote:
I don't think gpsma has any love for what's in the jail. LOL. Actually, that reminds me, did you know that the prisoners in Suffolk are TOO GOOD for Nassau's jail? It's true! Suffolk wanted to ease their overcrowding by sending some of their prisoners to be kept in Nassau, but New York State vetoed the plan because Nassau's jail is such a hellhole:

[URL="http://eastmeadow.patch.com/articles/state-angry-over-nassau-county-jail-violations"]State Angry Over Nassau County Jail Violations - East Meadow, NY Patch[/URL]
Oops!

[url=http://eastmeadow.patch.com/articles/nassau-county-jail-gets-go-ahead-to-house-suffolk-inmates]Nassau County Jail Gets Go-Ahead to House Suffolk Inmates - East Meadow, NY Patch[/url]

Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Some of the sanitation violations spanned more than 27 months, Beilein said.

In a harshly worded letter to Acting Nassau County Sheriff Michael Sposato, Beilein said he was disappointed over the jail’s “deplorable” conditions, saying that unless the jail was cleaned up, it would be banned from leasing any of its 500 empty jail cells to Suffolk County.

But the commissioner was impressed during the most recent inspection, even though some of the violations remained. He reportedly reserved the right to rescind the leasing agreement.
It's a start. So when push comes to shove (first article dated March 25, 2011, second article dated April 18, 2011), they actually CAN do better ... and all in a matter of a few weeks too!

What took you so long?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Be Sure and Update Us ...

... when the rest of these problems are cleared up at NCCC:

Group Files Lawsuit Against Nassau County Jail - East Meadow, NY Patch

Quote:
The Nassau County Correctional Facility in East Meadow is under the gun once again – this time from the New York Civil Liberties Union for allegedly refusing to release information on the medical and mental health care of inmates.

The group filed a lawsuit in state Supreme Court on Apr. 29 after the jail allegedly did not fully comply with a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request last fall to reveal its policies and procedures pertaining to the health care of prisoners.
BBC News - Judge rules inmate 'bitten on penis by rodent' may sue

Quote:
A New York man who says a rat bit his penis during a jail stay may sue county officials, a judge has ruled.

Peter Solomon, who said he later had to endure a course of rabies jabs, says jailers knew the ward in which they placed him was infested with rodents.
Nassau County D.A. Wants Review Of Inmate Suicides « CBS New York

Quote:
MINEOLA, NY (AP) - The district attorney wants a review of conditions at Long Island’s Nassau County Jail after four inmate suicides in a year.

State records show four Nassau inmates killed themselves by hanging in the last 12 months.
Nassau County Jail Inmate Commits Suicide | Long Island Press

Quote:
A Nassau County jail inmate committed suicide last week—a year to the day after the first of four similar incidents in the past 12 months.
I still wouldn't advise the OP to choose working in Nassau over Suffolk in this particular case. (Please forgive me, Nassau County fans!)

Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM

8,681 posts, read 6,947,729 times
Quote:
It's a start. So when push comes to shove (first article dated March 25, 2011, second article dated April 18, 2011), they actually CAN do better ... and all in a matter of a few weeks too!

What took you so long?
Steve Levy was too busy trimming his moustache and forgot to recharge the batteries on the red phone.

Quote:
I still wouldn't advise the OP to choose working in Nassau over Suffolk in this particular case. (Please forgive me, Nassau County fans!)
He's not asking about that, but FTR, I wouldn't advise it either. The starting pay sucks and you put up with a lot of garbage on behalf of an ungrateful public.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 PM

I don't even want to know what Steve Levy has to do with this ... nor how you've got the personal 411 on him ... and his pet caterpillar!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Default BOLO for ______ ...

... calling all "cars" ...

The Warriors- Come Out and Play - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island