Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 12,413 times

Advertisements

Acquired American Traditional antiques when my folks died, now looking to replace the wall unit I bought a decade ago at Fortunoff (good riddance).

Most of the stores I look at are expensive and not good quality, IMHO. Went to Ethan Allen on the weekend, the media center was made in Vietnam.

Thomasville and Raymour and Flanigan didn't impress me at all, and I hear bad things about the quality of Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel but am open to all suggestions, I just want the item to blend in with my antiques.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,635 times
Try Classic Galleries in Huntington Village - can't guarantee they will have what you want, but they carry upper end furniture with upper end prices. Maybe waiting for their sale would help in the price department.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM

653 posts, read 1,050,241 times
I know it is a chain, but I am a huge, huge fan of Restoration Hardware. I love their quality and their modern interpretation of classic styles. They also have an excellent lighting dept. Sadly, right now there is not a Restoration Hardware store on Long Island. The Roosevelt Field store closed because they are relocating to a larger space on the first floor of the mall...not sure when the new store opens but they do have one in the Ladies Mile area of Manhattan (where there is a plethora of excellent furniture stores). ABC Carpet & Home (also on the Ladies Mile) may also have what you are looking for but the prices can be staggering.

You could also try Room & Board which is much more contemporary but high-end as well. They have a store in Soho....you might find something to blend in with your antiques...might..

Also look into Stickley furniture.....they are based in the Syracuse area but man they carry some beautiful items and are family owned....quite the tradition there.....

I really recommend heading into the city and checking out the whole Ladies Mile/Flatiron area and its furniture offerings....I'm just not impressed with the furniture offerings in Westbury or along 110........

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM

44 posts, read 134,703 times
^^ There is no retail store, but a Restoration Hardware outlet at Tanger in Riverhead opened recently.

I had an Ethan Allan entertainment center for nearly 14 years and it held up beautifully (as has my other EA furniture). We only replaced it because we upgraded to a flatscreen that didn't fit. We replaced at with a beautiful console table found at Ben's Garden in Huntington.

I'd also recommend Classic Galleries. I've also picked up several great pieces at Sedoni Gallery in Huntington. We got some lovely oak bookshelves at Corinthian in Westbury.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,323,967 times
Classic galleries is a good place. pricey but quality stuff.

I have purchsed from Raymore and Flanigan, the quality isn't really there, but I wasn't kidding myself at the time, I knew what I was getting.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,986,135 times
Here's another plug for Ethan Allen: pricey but good quality.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM

23 posts, read 96,007 times
Drexel Heritage is a high end furniture store. They used to have a store in Manhasset and just moved to Farmingdale-- not sure of exact location.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM

88 posts, read 247,917 times
Try Safavieh in Glen Cove. Of course, custom made might be better in the long run- with a good carpenter you can get exactly what you want

Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM

654 posts, read 2,111,147 times
I love Peter Andrews. They have a few larger pieces but it is well worth the trip. I go to the on in Huntington Station on Jericho Turnpike. They have beautiful pieces that will show well in your home and are bound to be admired by your guests. I loved loved Domain but they closed.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,459,406 times
I'd take Bobs Discount Furniture in many cases over Ethan Allen et al. Most of those pricey name brands are just veneers over crappy particle board. If you are truly looking for the good stuff, Veneer isn't in the listed product specs.

If you want heirloom quality stuff then you're probably going to order custom stuff from specialty shops. Bare Boards has a bunch of stuff, but a little dingy on the shop-looks side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island