U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,963 times

Advertisements

Our priorities are good school district, a house of decent size and easy commute to Manhattan. We plan to look at some houses at Great Neck near LIRR station. I have some questions and will appreciate your input:

1. I have never taken LIRR before, is it reliable? or often cancelled/delayed due to bad weather?

2. Will East Asian kids be well accepted in the school?

For this concern, I initially looked at some houses at Bayside. I like Bayside in the sense it is like a mini-downtown. However houses are old and small in general. There are few new buildings but most are multifamilies which we don't want.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Compared to perhaps riding on the roof of the train from Mumbai to Calcutta, the LIRR is safe and reliable.

Compared to any other train system, it sucks. Expect delays, overcrowding, and stoppages due to weather and mechanical breakdown.

Sometimes it will run fine. Perhaps someone who rides the Port Washington line can fill you in on that lines usual problems and level of reliability.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Compared to perhaps riding on the roof of the train from Mumbai to Calcutta, the LIRR is safe and reliable.
Don't knock it til you've tried it. Cross-country sleepover train rides in India are a lot of fun! I bet some of the prima donnas on here would ***plotz*** at the sight of the "Indian bathrooms" though ... a hole in the floor with a footprint on either side! You gotta have pretty good aim to accomplish that with the train rumbling along at full speed. (Me = chicken = used "Western bathrooms.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Compared to any other train system, it sucks. Expect delays, overcrowding, and stoppages due to weather and mechanical breakdown.

Sometimes it will run fine. Perhaps someone who rides the Port Washington line can fill you in on that lines usual problems and level of reliability.
Port Washington is probably the most reliable LIRR line. It does not go to Jamaica or Brooklyn! Yay if you're in midtown! If you're in downtown, most people prefer going to Brooklyn, but the subway ride is bearable from Penn Station.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I work at downtown... Have not explored Brooklyn yet. Does Brooklyn have similar good school disticts like Queens and LI have? Forgive me for the naive questions, I am relatively new to NY.

Aonther thing attracts me is GN is not too far from Flushing. I imagine I can pick some food on the ride home and will save my cooking time

Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Also I read from posts from city data says "if you are not Jewish, you won't feel comfortable at GN". I would really appreciate some genuine input about this. We are both hard working professionals, open-minded and easy-going. We would like to live in a friendly neighborhood that my kids can enjoy their childhood, make friends and be accepted in schools.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmm1111 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I work at downtown... Have not explored Brooklyn yet. Does Brooklyn have similar good school disticts like Queens and LI have? Forgive me for the naive questions, I am relatively new to NY.

Aonther thing attracts me is GN is not too far from Flushing. I imagine I can pick some food on the ride home and will save my cooking time
I was really only talking about the option of the LIRR going into Brooklyn ... not you moving there. The LIRR station in Brooklyn is a little faster by subway to downtown Manhattan than the midtown (Penn Station) LIRR is. It's not a biggie.

The good parts of Brooklyn are super-expensive. Even then, the people probably send their kids to private school.

There is also good east Asian restaurant food (and supermarkets) to be found in Bellerose/New Hyde Park and, further east, Hicksville.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Also I read from posts from city data says "if you are not Jewish, you won't feel comfortable at GN". I would really appreciate some genuine input about this. We are both hard working professionals, open-minded and easy-going. We would like to live in a friendly neighborhood that my kids can enjoy their childhood, make friends and be accepted in schools.
Parts of GN have become heavily populated with Jews from Iran. GN also has always had a lot of Jewish people in general.

Personally, I don't know how welcoming or unwelcoming they are to people from other cultures. I think parts of GN are very pretty and can see why you are attracted to it.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,676,301 times
Quote:
We plan to look at some houses at Great Neck near LIRR station.
That would be in the Village of Great Neck Plaza ("Great Neck, NY 11021" mailing address).

A map of the Village of Great Neck Plaza in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Great-neck-plaza-ny-map.gif (broken link)

In case you were not aware, more than 8 of every 10 places with a "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" mailing address (6,022 acres) are NOT in the Village of Great Neck (866 acres).

Places that have a "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" mailing address that are not in the Village of Great Neck are in the Village of Great Neck Estates, the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Plaza, the Hamlet of Harbor Hills, the Village of Kensington, the Village of Kings Point, the Village of Lake Success, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Saddle Rock, the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of University Gardens.

Some of these villages, but no hamlets, have their own police force and some of these villages, as well as some of the hamlets, are in the Great Neck Park District, which means that residents of those villages and hamlets can park in the parking buildings near the LIRR station.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,018,291 times
My aunt lives in Flushing and I attended high school in Bayside, and since my husband works near Great Neck, I am familiar with that area and the LIRR. You have nothing to worry about, GN has a very sizeable Asian population...every time I am on Northern Blvd, I notice a new Asian grocery store that popped up..

The Port Washington LIRR line is much more reliable than other lines (i am on the Babylon line) and a very easy commute to midtown. The only downside is that in major snowstorms, the entire system experiences heavy delays and cancellations. The last snowstorm, the LIRR suspended service on the Babylon and Port Jefferson lines, and my husband had to drive me to the only LIRR line that was still working (Port Washington). I waited 1-1/2 hours for a train because the entire Island was waiting for the same train. That was the worst experience I have had w the LIRR but Port Washington is better than the other lines.

Brooklyn is not as nice, it is much more dense, congested, and to be blunt- not as heavily Asian populated. Depending on the specific neighborhood, if you arent white or black, you may be targeted by residents or viewed/treated differently. The schools are also not as good. I would stay wth GN.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Brooklyn is not as nice, it is much more dense, congested, and to be blunt- not as heavily Asian populated. Depending on the specific neighborhood, if you arent white or black, you may be targeted by residents or viewed/treated differently. The schools are also not as good. I would stay wth GN.
Actually, there is a sizable East Asian population in Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, and Homecrest. There are some other areas with Asians, but there are more South Asians (India, Pakistan, etc) in those other areas (parts of Brighton Beach, Flatbush, and even City Line)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or