U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,169,698 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to see them in a few spots, and I'm undecided about them.

Most street lights are high pressure sodium lamps, they give off that bright orange light. Some neighborhoods are still using mercury vapor lighting, which is gives off the whitish-bluish light. Most places went to HPS because they give off a better light.

Anywho, to the point here, a newer technology, called inductive lighting is coming on the scene. the lamps look like fluroescent lamps in the shape of a donought. These use a lot less energy, but IMO give off a much poorer light. I noticed them on Commack Rd, by Pilgrim State. They barely light up the road it seems.

When do we stop trading energy saving for effectiveness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,844,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post

Most street lights are high pressure sodium lamps, they give off that bright orange light. Some neighborhoods are still using mercury vapor lighting, which is gives off the whitish-bluish light. Most places went to HPS because they give off a better light.

Anywho, to the point here, a newer technology, called inductive lighting is coming on the scene. the lamps look like fluroescent lamps in the shape of a donought. These use a lot less energy, but IMO give off a much poorer light. I noticed them on Commack Rd, by Pilgrim State. They barely light up the road it seems.

With the way headlights on newer cars dang near blind anyone coming from the opposite direction, and the unnecessary fog lights on SUVs, combined with the increasingly obnoxious penchant among Long Island's aging population to turn on the brights the second the sun sinks beneath the horizon, I don't think it's going to matter much.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:41 AM

64,577 posts, read 66,129,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post

the orange light is low pressure sodium. thats an obsolete form of lighting . in fact the bridges used it but cops couldnt tell one car color from another so they had to mix in metal halide lighting too.

hps is more a light yellowish.... most street lighting is metal halide today around the city. thats a whitish color.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the orange light is low pressure sodium. thats an obsolete form of lighting . in fact the bridges used it but cops couldnt tell one car color from another so they had to mix in metal halide lighting too.

hps is more a light yellowish.... most street lighting is metal halide today around the city. thats a whitish color.
Yellow / Orange, I may be a bit colorblind. LPS lamps are long and tube like, I know. The only places I see them now as street lighting is in parts of Nassau (Levittown area) All the street lighting by me is HPS.

All the TBTA bridges use Meercury Vapor / Metal Halide, as they feel it lights up the bridge structure better (looks wise).

Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 AM

it was a more a case of showing the colors of the cars on the bridges. i was involved with the origonal low pressure sodium project.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,030,753 times
Lots of new LED lighting in Smithtown area. Look more like the bottom of an iron than a donut.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Lots of new LED lighting in Smithtown area. Look more like the bottom of an iron than a donut.
Yes, the LED ones, but there is a new kind. Inductive, the resemble the old circleline fluorescent lights, like what my grandmother had in her kitchen. See link
Induction Lighting | Street Lighting | US Lighting Tech | Cobra Head Street, Highbay, Parking, Wall Pack, Canopy

Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it was a more a case of showing the colors of the cars on the bridges. i was involved with the origonal low pressure sodium project.
when was this, I have (what I thought) was an early pic of the VZ-bridge at night, its all mercury vapor.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 AM

origonally the throggs neck had low pressure sodium lights origonally back in the late 70's. they then went to 150w hps with metal halide mixed in. i think today they went to induction lighting. ...

the low pressure lasted a very short time . a side from the poor color when they broke they would flare up when water hit them.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM

the triboro bridge was filled with old mercury vapor fixtures. i think they are going led. QUEENSBORO BRIDGE also started life as low pressure sodium lighting before that too was replaced with high pressure sodium.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-02-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island