U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the demolition?
Yes 15 71.43%
No 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,195,767 times

Advertisements

Something positive, Nassau Mausoleum is quite large capacity for hockey 16.250 when the national average is about 18.000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's what you take from my post?

How about addressing the serious aspect -- the cost to taxpayers? You cited Newark's arena -- tell us how Nassau can do the same without passing the cost onto the taxpayers?
That's what taxes are for. I don't think Nassau are in need of a new Methadone clinic.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
That's what taxes are for. I don't think Nassau are in need of a new Methadone clinic.
Once again -- Newark built their arena without taxpayer money. How do you propose the existing coliseum be razed and a new one built without passing the cost onto the taxpayers?

MSG IV (ca. 1968) is being renovated in place; why not do the same with the current coliseum?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM

If taxpayer money is the only resource for finance then I guess you're not going to have a new or rehabbed arena.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 PM

29,573 posts, read 12,362,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
The Nassau Mausoleum is the oldest, most outdated arena in the NHL. Funny thing is, it is located in one of the highest urban income areas in USA. Long Island does not want or care about the Islanders. They surely will move when the lease is up.

Where are they going, Hartford, Oklahoma City, this is just another idle threat by an owner looking for leverage. They wll never be able to compete with MSG as far as top end shows, Lady Gaga is not coming to Uniondale anytime soon and hockey is not a big draw unless you are winning Stanley Cups.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,170,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
C'mon it really is the worlds famoust arena and still a grossing venue. You can't tear it down there would be riots. But the day it's not a grossing arena anymore I'm sure that "Revitalization Bloomy" would be more than willing to tear it down. Nassau Coliseum just ain't got that same historical value as MSG.
Historical value means nothing in this case, example: Yankee Stadium. Historical value means nothing: in order to build MSG, they did tear down Pennsylvania Station to build it. Also it is the 3rd (or 4th) MSG to exist. A few years back they were talking of building a new arena over the General Post Office across the street, the plan was abandoned, probably because they would lose the property tax exemption that has existed on MSG since 1982
MSG is 'old' and ugly as sin on the outside, but it's still plenty functional. The Coliseum was non-functional in 1972.
Brenden Byrne arena in the meadowlands was an obscure building, but it was 100x better than the Coliseum.

The new Nets arena in Brooklyn should be nice though. Newark's new arena is beautiful.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM

3,131 posts, read 4,117,369 times
Man, from the late 70's-mid 80's The Islanders rocked the Island Those were some great times @ the coliseum. The Islanders still hold the all time record of 19 straight playoff series wins ! the longest streak in the history of professional sports.

Now this once storied franchise is a shell of its former-self. They play in the most dilapidated arena of all sports, in front of 30-40 % capacity. They will miss the playoffs for a fifth straight season Sparky the dragon lol this team should go the way of dragon and be extinct.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,060,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
" In October, Booker conceded there would be "a first-class arena built in the city of Newark, whether we like it or not",and soon afterwards, the Devils struck a deal including both property and monetary givebacks that appeased city officials.
The city of Newark pledged to contribute $210 million to the construction of the arena, using all of that money from its lease of Newark Liberty International Airport with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Devils paid for the remainder of the cost. Thus, no new direct taxpayer funding was required for the construction of the arena.
"

If there were no new direct taxpayer funding for a new coliseum, this would be a non issue.

The Devils put up $100,000,000.00 (over 25%) toward the cost of the arena, which seats about as many people for ice hockey as the Coliseum does.

Having the 'latest and greatest' venues is merely competition between millionaires and billionaires who don't give a rat's patootie about the cost as they will merely pass it along to the ticket buyers. If we were to follow their lead, I can think of many venues in NYC which should be torn down because they are 'old and outdated'. Radio City Music Hall, Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden -- oops, sorry, forgot it is undergoing an upgrading and lots of construction. How is it that the owners didn't need to tear it down? It's ancient by arena standards, having opened in 1968.
MSG has total historical and landmark significance right down to the shape. They do consistent renovations that cost MORE than a new building would cost, the current being in the $900 million range. You can build 2 new buildings for that. The whole "hub" area needs to be developed. When I drive past it I shake my head and say "what an eyesore." The coliseum is an outdated "war memorial" style facility that looks like it would fit in a crumbling 1980's Detroit or Rochester and the empty parking lots just make it look barren and bleak. Kate and Co. prefer it that way. It is their idea of "unique suburban character."

Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,170,373 times
You cant beat the location of MSG though, which is why I guess they decided to build it atop Penn Station. I was in the city on Saturday with my wife, as we walked back to Penn, a Rangers/Flyers game had just let out, and I saw quite a few Philly fans getting on buses, which surprised me. I would have thought taking Slamtrak, er, I mean Amtrak would have been a better, faster bet.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 AM

191 posts, read 251,472 times
Im a rangers fan so keep the dump..i can go there and taunt the islanders for cheap low low prices ( as long as I don't buy a soda)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island