U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the demolition?
Yes 15 71.43%
No 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

4,135 posts, read 6,720,675 times

Advertisements

everyone wants a new building. But the taxpayers rightly didn't want it on their dime.

If it's such a great investment, someone will come along and pay for it themselves.

That said, despite having zero amenties and looking pretty ugly, the coliseum is still a very good place to watch a game in terms of sightlines/proximity to the ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM

29,643 posts, read 12,399,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
everyone wants a new building. But the taxpayers rightly didn't want it on their dime.

If it's such a great investment, someone will come along and pay for it themselves.

That said, despite having zero amenties and looking pretty ugly, the coliseum is still a very good place to watch a game in terms of sightlines/proximity to the ice.
That's basically the issue, the new stadiums added a tremendous amount of amenities that have little to do with the game or venue. I f you truly like baseball, hockey, do you really need all these other distractions. Sports stadiums on the taxpayer dime are a losing proposition, there is a rather large history of local residents getting shafted by deals that were supposed to be a great income producer.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,941,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
MSG has total historical and landmark significance right down to the shape. They do consistent renovations that cost MORE than a new building would cost, the current being in the $900 million range. You can build 2 new buildings for that. The whole "hub" area needs to be developed. When I drive past it I shake my head and say "what an eyesore." The coliseum is an outdated "war memorial" style facility that looks like it would fit in a crumbling 1980's Detroit or Rochester and the empty parking lots just make it look barren and bleak. Kate and Co. prefer it that way. It is their idea of "unique suburban character."
Historical? The MSG IV was built in 1968 upon the location of the actual historic and architecturally significant Penn Station which was demolished in 1963.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM

38 posts, read 62,556 times
The question of whether somebody "supports" the demolition of the Coliseum is going to be moot. There is no reasonable chance of a new arena being built. The zoning approved by the town of Hempstead simply does not provide any tenant on that site to build enough other development there to cover the costs of a money-losing arena. An arena that is a stand alone or in the middle of the reduced footprint sought by Kate Murray and the Town of Hempstead simply can't make it. The County can't afford it and the people have spoken. What's the road map to having an arena remain in Nassau County? I can't see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island