U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2016, 02:03 PM
 
9,901 posts, read 12,973,449 times
Reputation: 5462

Advertisements

Link to the Newsweek story:

http://www.newsweek.com/james-burke-...istrict-411386

The whole department needs to be cleaned from the top down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2016, 04:20 PM
 
3,226 posts, read 1,186,468 times
Reputation: 2736
Thanks. . I read the article. Business as usual folks. You pay somebody that kind of salary and then tell then that they are gods amongst men what do you think will happen. They have all the power ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 PM
 
5,392 posts, read 5,642,038 times
Reputation: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Link to the Newsweek story:

http://www.newsweek.com/james-burke-...istrict-411386

The whole department needs to be cleaned from the top down.
Not much is stated in that article. I like to hear more juicy details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 06:11 AM
 
4,536 posts, read 9,862,877 times
Reputation: 2016
^^ Read the comments at the end of the article. Not sure how true but its pretty convincing. A lot of stuff will come out when the trial starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 AM
 
9,901 posts, read 12,973,449 times
Reputation: 5462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Read the comments at the end of the article. Not sure how true but its pretty convincing. A lot of stuff will come out when the trial starts.
And the juicy stuff with Burke goes WAY back. He was the "rat" in the Pius murder. There are people who've been going around for years (decades) saying he was directly involved. Spota was the prosecutor in the Pius case. Burke rode Spota's coattails all the way to the top. Spota basically blackmailed Steve Levy out of his position by going after his wife.

Steve Levy, while far from perfect, targeted the SCPD (remember the whole Sheriffis on the highway thing) which was something that was for the good of the entire county. Look what happened to him. The SCPD is not far from the mafia in many ways. They have a combination of big time money and small town insularity that makes them very dangerous.

I wonder how many SCPD brass were working in very corrupt precincts in NYPD back in the 80's and brought their MO out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 AM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Reputation: 2206
the stuff that comes out of this department would be dismissed as unrealistic if you saw it in a movie.

I used to think the MccCready/Tankleff scenario couldn't be toppped, but this might be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
 
5,392 posts, read 5,642,038 times
Reputation: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
And the juicy stuff with Burke goes WAY back. He was the "rat" in the Pius murder. There are people who've been going around for years (decades) saying he was directly involved. Spota was the prosecutor in the Pius case. Burke rode Spota's coattails all the way to the top. Spota basically blackmailed Steve Levy out of his position by going after his wife.

Steve Levy, while far from perfect, targeted the SCPD (remember the whole Sheriffis on the highway thing) which was something that was for the good of the entire county. Look what happened to him. The SCPD is not far from the mafia in many ways. They have a combination of big time money and small town insularity that makes them very dangerous.

I wonder how many SCPD brass were working in very corrupt precincts in NYPD back in the 80's and brought their MO out here.
Well arent a lot of cops on Long Island just former NYPD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 04:42 PM
 
9,901 posts, read 12,973,449 times
Reputation: 5462
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well arent a lot of cops on Long Island just former NYPD?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM
 
1,320 posts, read 1,515,940 times
Reputation: 1423
Click.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 PM
 
4,536 posts, read 9,862,877 times
Reputation: 2016
Excellent read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top