U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 AM

1,631 posts, read 1,908,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Any word if the limbs found were related to woman?
Forensics test pending as of Friday.

Tattoo on dismembered body found in Long Island parking lot is same one missing Brooklyn mom has: source - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,053,008 times
I predict more of these findings in Holbrook in about two years time.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia1961 View Post
I'm from Canada and I don't know how many of you heard of our own serial killer, Robert Pickton. But the fact that he killed prostitutes, kept the police force apathetic and unwilling to even acknowledge that a serial killer was at work. He managed to kill 49 such unfortunates. Now, had he chosen, say, doctors' wives or the like, how long do you think he would have continued to kill?? The police would have jumped on it with both feet.

Sadly, society at large appears to value people by their personal wealth or the respectability of their jobs.

I am from Canada too...I don't know what the climate is like for on the west coast for sex trade workers, but here in Ontario there are some pretty good initiatives for women who are working....Persons at risk department in some local police detachments profiles workers, want's to know them, their routines and has an open door policy for reporting bad tricks, want's everyone to stay safe. London Ontario is pretty good.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:31 PM

24 posts, read 35,757 times
People are so quick to judge. How do they know all of these women were prositutes. Make be they were be stalked. By unknown people. Twisted. Like a cat in mouse game.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Default New Suspect? So far SCPD says "no" ...

I wonder if he will turn out to be the one. You don't just strangle prostitutes and leave their naked bodies in the woods 20 years ago and stop doing it forever. And just because these victims were not dismembered does not necessarily mean it's not him. Many serial killers refine their methods over time. The victims also fit the profile (had been arrested before for prostitution). DNA worked its magic to find him so long after the killings. Interesting that he lives in Manorville also.

John Bittrolff arrested in 1990s murders of two women, cops say - Newsday (this one is subscription required so I am adding links for stories that are not)
Quote:
A Manorville man will be in court Tuesday to face second-degree murder charges in connection with the beating and strangulation deaths of two women more than 20 years ago, Suffolk police said.

Asked if investigators believe the suspect, John Bittrolff, 48, might be tied to the Gilgo Beach murders -- one of the largest and most baffling homicide cases ever in Suffolk County -- police issued a statement saying: "At this time there is no evidence that these crimes or this defendant is connected to any of the remains found in the vicinity of Gilgo Beach. The investigation into those murders is continuing."
Man Charged In Murders Of 2 Women On Long Island Over 20 Years Ago « CBS New York

Quote:
Both Tangredi and McNamee had been arrested previously for prostitution, police said in the archived release.

Detectives at the original crime scenes recovered DNA evidence that linked the case. Over 20 years later, police traced the cold cases to Bittrtolff, police said.
Man Accused in Decades-Old Strangling Deaths of Naked Women Found in Woods | NBC New York
Quote:
A 48-year-old married father of two has been charged in the strangling deaths of two women whose naked bodies were found in the woods on Long Island more than 20 years ago, police say.

John Bittrolff was arrested at his home in Manorville early Monday on two counts of second-degree murder after detectives linked his DNA to the decades-old crime scenes, Suffolk County police say.
And yet a third victim over 20 years ago? However, back then they thought it was not related. I wonder if they are going to look into this further.

Cops: Manorville man charged in two cold case murders | Riverhead News Review

Quote:
Detectives told Newsday in 1994 that a third murder victim, Sandra Costilla of Queens, whose body was found in a wooded area in North Sea 18 days after Ms. Tangredi’s, may have also been connected to the same killer. Two years later, detectives told Newsday they did not have the conclusive evidence that ties her death to the other two murders. No arrest was ever made in the Costilla case.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You don't just strangle prostitutes and leave their naked bodies in the woods 20 years ago and stop doing it forever.
Agreed. Not only that, but the wiki article linked below mentions other remains found in Manorville that may or may not be connected to the gilgo remains.

Long Island serial killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Agreed. Not only that, but the wiki article linked below mentions other remains found in Manorville that may or may not be connected to the gilgo remains.

Long Island serial killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks! Whoever worked on that wiki article did a thorough job.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
99% of the time I dismiss the neighbors/friends who always come out of the woodwork and say stuff like "he was always such a nice guy" and "he's just not capable of this"....but the comments about this guy just don't jive with typical serial killer behavior. Not saying I think he's innocent or guilty, but what what's been reported so far doesn't quite seem to fit previous patterns. What a crazy story.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM

87 posts, read 64,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I wonder if he will turn out to be the one. You don't just strangle prostitutes and leave their naked bodies in the woods 20 years ago and stop doing it forever. And just because these victims were not dismembered does not necessarily mean it's not him. Many serial killers refine their methods over time. The victims also fit the profile (had been arrested before for prostitution). DNA worked its magic to find him so long after the killings. Interesting that he lives in Manorville also.

John Bittrolff arrested in 1990s murders of two women, cops say - Newsday (this one is subscription required so I am adding links for stories that are not)

Man Charged In Murders Of 2 Women On Long Island Over 20 Years Ago « CBS New York

Man Accused in Decades-Old Strangling Deaths of Naked Women Found in Woods | NBC New York

And yet a third victim over 20 years ago? However, back then they thought it was not related. I wonder if they are going to look into this further.

Cops: Manorville man charged in two cold case murders | Riverhead News Review
Very interesting connection, I wonder if he may be the "drifter" spoken about in the book, the one who was sleeping off a drug/alcohol binge at Brewer's place?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 PM

24 posts, read 35,757 times
There are a number of suspects to look at Jb, pk, pp, Es, jcw. If the caught in a lie the police will know. What about the wig master from steinfeld show, the connection to the new gilgo movie is one related to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or