U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,527,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I took my ex, a Virginia native, to an Isles-Rangers game there in the early 00s. When the game was over and the place emptied out, he just stood there, looking up at all the banners in the rafters. After a moment, very softly and with the reverence of one whose appreciation of a sport transcends team allegiance, he said, "There's a lot of history in this building."

Indeed there is.
That is pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,909,805 times
First concert in 79 when I was 14 -- Charlie Daniels Band. The tickets were $7 for 300's center ice area. My best friend and I thought we were so cool with our floppy suede hats with the feathered roach clip attached, suede boots, denim jackets. We sat there getting into the music until the cute guy next to me tapped my elbow. I turned and he was handing me a joint. Total teen angst and dilemma! If I took a hit, it could be laced with something and I would end up the vegetable girl on the next ABC After School Special. If I passed it along without partaking, would the cute guy think I was a nerd? I opted for nerd and passed it along.

Then in the fall of 1980 there was the Black and Blue Tour, which was filmed and released as a movie. Dio was heading Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult rocked the house. Excellent show. I ended up buying the DVD before Dio died and watched it with my kids. In one BOC scene, I was able to see myself, boyfriend and friends in our section -- blurry, but it was us!

The one show I don't remember very well was Joe Perry Project/Def Leppard and Ozzy Osbourne in 81. My then boyfriend was a very bad influence. Let's leave it at that.

There were many other great shows.

Last show was last year: Roger Waters The Wall. Amazing.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,909,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
The first concert I ever saw was Led Zeppelin at the coliseum in 1972.
When I bought the tickets for the Charlie Daniels Band I noticed (as I left the buildling) someone had scrawled "Wait til Zeppelin comes" on a concrete post outside the Coliseum near the ticket office entry. I couldn't wait for the day I could see LZ. John Bonham died 1 year later, dashing that dream.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,061,862 times
14 yrs old, 1st concert was a Dead show at the Mausoleum. Came out from Brooklyn with no permission from Mom. Got stoned and played hackey sack with the tripping girls. Grew to be a hippie hating metalhead (j/k), but we all have our skeletons.

Also as a teenager, used to come out for Isles/Rangers games (back when it wasn't safe to wear opposing team jerseys in their house), then catch the last 3 races at Roosevelt. We used to drive home pretending to whip the side of the car "coming down the stretch." My friend who my Mom didn't like because he was becoming a degenerate gambler...went on to become a mathematician...go figure.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,849,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Then in the fall of 1980 there was the Black and Blue Tour, which was filmed and released as a movie. Dio was heading Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult rocked the house. Excellent show. I ended up buying the DVD before Dio died and watched it with my kids. In one BOC scene, I was able to see myself, boyfriend and friends in our section -- blurry, but it was us!
I was there! Too funny. I went with a chick buddy, my sister, and my sister's then-hub.

Like others, my first concert was at the Coliseum, too. 1979, Kiss, with Judas Priest opening. My father took my friend, my sister, and me to that one. Parental oversight, sure, but my dad was into Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin, himself, and he wanted to see what all the fuss over Kiss was about, as whenever I played a Kiss song with a Gene Simmons lead vocal, he'd say, "What the hell IS that crap?" He did like Peter Criss songs though.

After the concert, he said, "I couldn't tell one song from the next, but the theatrics and fire were good. And no, you are not going to see them at the Garden, too." He was cool, but he wasn't stupid.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM

4,135 posts, read 6,711,898 times
I saw Pearl Jam there in 2003. This was a notorious concert among PJ fans as a considerable number of folks in the crowd started booing during "Bushleaguer" (anti-Bush song). Probably the only time they've ever been booed.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,871,314 times
Ahhh..the good ol' Coliseum.

The Grateful Dead shows are still a blur.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM

4,135 posts, read 6,711,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Ahhh..the good ol' Coliseum.

The Grateful Dead shows are still a blur.
somehow I convinced my parents to let me see the dead on a "school night" when I was like 15 years old. They opend up with Jack Straw....and that's the only thing I remember.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,871,314 times
^^ Very nice.

My parents thought I was away at my friends cabin. Then we would go on tour for 2-3 shows in a car I wouldnt drive 3 blocks today. Ahh the good ol days.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,527,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I saw Pearl Jam there in 2003. This was a notorious concert among PJ fans as a considerable number of folks in the crowd started booing during "Bushleaguer" (anti-Bush song). Probably the only time they've ever been booed.

I was at that show and it was shaping up to be a great one until that happened. I had great 10C seats and have the bootleg...now I am going to have to bust that out today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island