U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Reputation: 17199

Advertisements

Did Aerosmith ever play the Colesium? I always wanted to see journey or Duran Duran but never got to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 PM
 
7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
Reputation: 8025
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I saw 2 Islander games, ringling brothers circus, Harlem Globe Trotters, Billy Joel twice, Debbie Gibson, Brian Adams, Professional Ice skating twice , Sesame street live.
I once saw a Disney on Ice show there. Does that count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Reputation: 17199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I once saw a Disney on Ice show there. Does that count?
yes it does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 AM
 
939 posts, read 1,960,534 times
Reputation: 514
saw tull there back in the late 80's ... two guys behind us were so wacked out, they were trying to tear thier seats out of the concrete...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Reputation: 1754
I waxed nostalgic on the good stuff, when do we get to point out the current atrocities:

1. Disney on Ice with half house, overflowing bathrooms and no heat in the building at all.
2. Rangers/Isles game w/ 9000 in attendance, mostly Ranger fans. Just sad.
3. Islanders fire-selling actual game worn team equipment at a concession stand. Can anyone IMAGINE the Rangers selling off Lundquists stick and pads at the garden like it's Play It Again Sports. Not talking about for charity, but RETAIL sale of used player gear. It's just bizarre. In fairness I got a great deal on Nate Thompson's $200 gloves ($50). Like new. Now that he's a star in Tampa Bay they are like pro gear again. Another lucky sod who got off Long Island and found a brave new world.

The current building tarnishes the dynasty as much or more than the team itself. The lighthouse project should have passed and given the area a shot of modernity and ambition. Instead it remains a dump reminiscent of the worst of the rust belt circa 1985.

We all have pride in the history of the coliseum. Too bad it is STILL our arena. Where is the pride for it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 AM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Reputation: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I waxed nostalgic on the good stuff, when do we get to point out the current atrocities:

1. Disney on Ice with half house, overflowing bathrooms and no heat in the building at all.
2. Rangers/Isles game w/ 9000 in attendance, mostly Ranger fans. Just sad.
3. Islanders fire-selling actual game worn team equipment at a concession stand. Can anyone IMAGINE the Rangers selling off Lundquists stick and pads at the garden like it's Play It Again Sports. Not talking about for charity, but RETAIL sale of used player gear. It's just bizarre. In fairness I got a great deal on Nate Thompson's $200 gloves ($50). Like new. Now that he's a star in Tampa Bay they are like pro gear again. Another lucky sod who got off Long Island and found a brave new world.

The current building tarnishes the dynasty as much or more than the team itself. The lighthouse project should have passed and given the area a shot of modernity and ambition. Instead it remains a dump reminiscent of the worst of the rust belt circa 1985.

We all have pride in the history of the coliseum. Too bad it is STILL our arena. Where is the pride for it now?
you just couldn't resist....could you?

I'm not an Islanders fans but I don't see how the dynasty teams are in any way "tarnished" by the team or building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: One of the "New" States
1,745 posts, read 1,572,136 times
Reputation: 1762
Coolest show I saw there was in 2007, Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Show was amazing and at the end, Roger Daltry came out and did 3 songs with the orchestra. AMAZING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you just couldn't resist....could you?

I'm not an Islanders fans but I don't see how the dynasty teams are in any way "tarnished" by the team or building.
Yes, I couldn't resist. I held out as long as I could.

To your point, former stars (Bossy, Nystrom, Smith) have been vocal about the need for a new arena as the current facility makes it harder to acquire talent (kind of a thin premise, it's more that they can't pay since they are so deep in the red and have low attendance which is a bad cycle...no attendance, no stars...no stars, no attendance), and it does not represent the accomplishments the dynasty team(s) achieved (4 cups, record still for consecutive playoff wins, handful of big-time Hall of Famers).

In this thread someone posted how "cool" it was that someone sees the banners and says "there is a lot of history here" with reverance and then you say you don't see how it tarnishes the legacy. You can't have it both ways. Right now, the "legacy" is the only thing holding the franchise (and building) together and that by a thread.

I think I may have seen Chief Jay Strongbow and Bruno Sammartino there. I was young and had to be snuck in for that. That was awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 AM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Reputation: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yes, I couldn't resist. I held out as long as I could.

To your point, former stars (Bossy, Nystrom, Smith) have been vocal about the need for a new arena as the current facility makes it harder to acquire talent (kind of a thin premise, it's more that they can't pay since they are so deep in the red and have low attendance which is a bad cycle...no attendance, no stars...no stars, no attendance), and it does not represent the accomplishments the dynasty team(s) achieved (4 cups, record still for consecutive playoff wins, handful of big-time Hall of Famers).

In this thread someone posted how "cool" it was that someone sees the banners and says "there is a lot of history here" with reverance and then you say you don't see how it tarnishes the legacy. You can't have it both ways. Right now, the "legacy" is the only thing holding the franchise (and building) together and that by a thread.

I think I may have seen Chief Jay Strongbow and Bruno Sammartino there. I was young and had to be snuck in for that. That was awesome.
yeah...the problems facing the Islanders have been well documented. Perhaps we veiw the concept of "tarnishing" differently. To me, the only that could away from that dynasty is some cheating related scandal (steroids or whatever). Those teams will live on in history and it will take a lot more than a lousy lease, worse owners, and Kate Murray to diminish what those teams accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
yeah...the problems facing the Islanders have been well documented. Perhaps we veiw the concept of "tarnishing" differently. To me, the only that could away from that dynasty is some cheating related scandal (steroids or whatever). Those teams will live on in history and it will take a lot more than a lousy lease, worse owners, and Kate Murray to diminish what those teams accomplished.
Fair enough...it does come down to definitions of "tarnished" and as a big hockey fan, mine might be a little more sensitive than yours. My arguments about the "tarnished rep" mostly end up related to the current Islander/Coliseum situation and as you said that's all been well documented so I won't go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top