U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:46 AM

3,131 posts, read 4,129,385 times

Advertisements

I was @ the greatest moment of the history of the Nassau Coliseum.

May 24,1980

Game six of the Stanley Cup. I was kid and remember it like it was yesterday. Hockey was huge back then and just a couple of months after the "miracle on ice" the Islanders were in the finals.

That goal scored my Nystrom in O.T. and the whole place just erupted like never before. That was some celebration after and no one wanted to leave the coliseum or the parking lot. 31 + years ago, man does time fly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,884,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I waxed nostalgic on the good stuff, when do we get to point out the current atrocities:
When we create a Nassau Coliseum Depreciation thread.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM

258 posts, read 593,491 times
Plenty of good memories. On the concert scene, saw:
Rush - Hemispheres and Permanent Waves tour. The Good Rats were the opener on one of those shows! John Gatto disappeared from the stage during a long guitar solo and a spotlight suddenly shone on the top row of the arena as Gatto appeared in a doorway, still wailing away on the solo on his wireless guitar, which was a new thing at the time.

Yes - Relayer tour!! Incredible!! Took a girl along who didn't get it though, she never spoke to me again after that.

Renaissance, great show, bad acoustics.

Queen on the Day at the Races tour. Openers Thin Lizzy were fantastic, better than Queen who were too loud.

Hockey - went to many Islander games the first three years (mostly to see the opposing teams), bought $6 upper deck seats for half price with a student G.O. card.

I even got to play on Coliseum ice several times with my high school team.

Wrestling
- Saw quite a few shows the first few years of the Coliseum. They were only getting 3,000 attendees back then, so we bought cheap upper deck seats and moved down very close to the action. Took a ton of great photos which I unfortunately no longer have. The Valiant Brothers with Lou Albano were big favorites then but the managers wouldn't appear at the Coliseum cards.

I think I saw indoor lacrosse once too, the Arrows?? And the circus, monster trucks, Harlem Globetrotters...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM

4,138 posts, read 6,739,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
indoor lacrosse
this just reminded me of all the indoor soccer games I used to go to see there. There would be like 500 people there to cheer on Shep Messing.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 PM

16,416 posts, read 28,031,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Did Aerosmith ever play the Colesium? I always wanted to see journey or Duran Duran but never got to go.
Yes. I saw them a couple of times there. The first time for $7.50.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Default What I have done/seen at Nassau Coliseum

So many things --

Hockey (back when the Islanders were in their glory days)
Wrestling
Circus
Ice Skating Shows
Concerts (too many to name)
Home Shows
Big Craft Fairs
Pet Expos
Real Estate Expo

Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM

488 posts, read 339,895 times
I saw Mike Bossy's 50 goals in 50 games there. First game being seated below the glass line. Witnessed up close and life sized :-)

Of the many concerts there in the early 80's I saw Ted Nugent (Starz opening) in the 100's section. People in the 300's were tossing lit M-80's down into our section. Thankfully it was a rainy night and we all had opened our umbrellas so we could continue w/ the concert w/o looking over our shoulders all night.

Front row center for Prince's Musicology tour 2003-4? (thanks to his fan club at the time, purchased tix at face value)

Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM

4,138 posts, read 6,739,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So many things --

Hockey (back when the Islanders were in their glory days)
Wrestling
Circus
Ice Skating Shows
Concerts (too many to name)
Home Shows
Big Craft Fairs
Pet Expos
Real Estate Expo
but were any of them memorable?

Excluding the craft fairs, home shows, etc....

Old 12-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
but were any of them memorable?

Excluding the craft fairs, home shows, etc....
Come to think of it -- NO!

I should just march over to the "demolish Nassau Coliseum" poll thread and vote "YES!"

Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,041,120 times
When we saw Disney On Ice, the place was full. That was about 10 years ago.

Also saw Paul McCartney there post Wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island