U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,135,200 times

Advertisements

My first concert ever, the Moody Blues with Eric Burden of the Animals opening.

Saw many other concerts there. Somehow, I think my parents thought letting me go there to see concerts was "safer" than going into the city to the Garden. LOL

Good times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,032,467 times
First concert was Squeeze back in 1985. Also saw Judas Priest around '86 (people were throwing M80's from the upper level, scary), The Cult "blew my eardrums out" as they promised and I still can't hear right. Saw the Dead there but I barely remember it, remember going to the circus when I was a kid and being bored. Saw Howard Stern US Open Sores LOL. I saved all of my ticket stubs over the years and I am sure I missed a few events.

I am a die hard Rangers fan and have been to many Ranger-Isles games. I respect the Islanders and many of my friends are fans. I wish they would have some success as it would be good for the area. When I am at the Coliseum it feels like home, dump or not.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM

8,510 posts, read 11,393,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
To your point, former stars (Bossy, Nystrom, Smith) have been vocal about the need for a new arena as the current facility makes it harder to acquire talent (kind of a thin premise, it's more that they can't pay since they are so deep in the red and have low attendance which is a bad cycle...no attendance, no stars...no stars, no attendance),
Look at the Pens and Caps of recent years. Bottom dwellers -> fire sale -> good drafting -> superstars in the making -> win games -> selling out the arenas. The Pens didn't even get their new stadium until after Crosby erupted. Rocking the Red in an aged MCI Center (oops Verizon Center) didn't happen for quite a few years after Ovechkin showed up.

The Isles management simply has to do a better job on the ice with young talent first. The fans are still here and they will come when it's worth it. I wouldn't care what the building looked like if the kids are lighting it up. They're simply not right now.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
s13

744 posts, read 980,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Look at the Pens and Caps of recent years. Bottom dwellers -> fire sale -> good drafting -> superstars in the making -> win games -> selling out the arenas. The Pens didn't even get their new stadium until after Crosby erupted. Rocking the Red in an aged MCI Center (oops Verizon Center) didn't happen for quite a few years after Ovechkin showed up.

The Isles management simply has to do a better job on the ice with young talent first. The fans are still here and they will come when it's worth it. I wouldn't care what the building looked like if the kids are lighting it up. They're simply not right now.
I agree. At the risk of hijacking the thread, Wang is the team's #1 problem right now - not the building, not the coach, not even the GM. Snow sits there taking the heat for his moron boss, saying "I'm authorized to spend all the money I need," when one look at the numbers proves this is BS. Not only are the Isles barely reaching the NHL-mandated salary floor, they're using some "creative accounting" just to do so.

Wang simply doesn't want to spend the money since his cash-cow Lighthouse project went down in flames, so until he either changes his position or sells to someone who will open the wallet, this team will likely remain a draft-lottery contender while the talents of guys like Tavares, Neiderreiter, Strome, Bailey, and Okposo waste away without some kind of veteran support.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,060,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

All due respect, both terrible comparisons. Pitt was rescued from bancruptcy by Mario Lemieux in '05. He turned the franchise around, infused money, brought great excitement and was a magnet for top names like Crosby. The arena, while old is an architectural marvel with a retractable steel dome. It has been consistently renovated and was originally an opera house. It is classy and unique. The city itself has seen explosive growth in the past 15 years.

Washington was bailed out by the AOL exec who bought the team and moved it from the burb's to a new arena in the city, making all the difference in the world. Like moving the Islanders to MSG. It would dramatically change the entire demographic in an instant.

The Islanders have neither of those situations. The Coliseum is a dump with no heat, difficult trans access, outdated amenities and a losing club in both games and money. Wang is an anti-draw as he will not sell and will not infuse additional cash. The demographic is weakening as the LI population lowers. Winning would make a big difference but to infuse cash without winning you need to sell corporate boxes and luxury suites. That cannot be done at the current building.

It bums me out as I got my skates sharpened at Iceworks in Syosset the other day (Islanders practice facility). It's a nice place and offers alot of Islanders sponsored events for kids and local patrons. I am a Ranger fan but found that place to be a really cool thing. If the Islanders leave all that goes too. The Islanders need a new arena in a new location (out of Town of Hempstead) and a new owner.

I posted earlier in the thread about my points of appreciation for the old mausoleum but realistically, it is awful now. Took my kid to monster jam and disney on ice last year and parents were embarrassed. Felt like the Rollerama in Brooklyn circa 1971 but with less heat.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM

8,510 posts, read 11,393,776 times
^ nah I'm a Caps fan since before Bondra was in his prime and they were dreadful in attendance even with MCI Center in downtown - until Backstrom, Green, and Ovechkin started wreaking havoc on the league. You may remember a guy named Bruce Boudreau and his run-n-gun offense turning commoner people on the streets of Chinatown into bandwagon red-rocking Caps fans. It was just exciting hockey to watch. The nightly sellouts - in the same building - didn't start till a couple years ago. AOL moneybags Leonsis and McPhee came in many years before that with a 5-yr plan which included Jagr/Lang/Oates/Bondra/Gonchar but then had to blow it all up (firesale). Youth infusion is much more exciting anyway... it's just that the Isles are doing it wrong. I'm not saying a new arena won't help some, but who wants to take time out, pay NHL prices, and see their promising youth play at AHL levels? Who are some of those guys?

BTW, do you play in a league here? I'm with hockeyli.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-09-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,060,730 times
Fair enough. I think at least having an urban presence keeps the dream alive and helps the tide turn more quickly for a borderline team like the Caps were. Between Wang and the coliseum there is such an aura of decline it taints a team that really isn't that atrocious. They need to get out from under the DiPietro contract and eat that loss but Wang is becoming like the Wilpons and can't eat any loss. The money woes are just too public. The politics to pervasive on LI. It's sad. The franchise needs an infusion of life, be it a facility, goalie, new owner, whatever. Right now it's such an ugly scene and the mausoleum is the face of it.

I was playing roller but it's such a kids game. Tired of being the oldest coot in the league. Gonna join the midnight hockey geezer league. I thought about hockeyLI. Looks good. Have to check out an over 30 E game and see the pace. I'm a bit rusty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island