U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Not as bad!! where do you live when you have to pay an insane amount of taxes and get a property that you could spit across your entire front
lawn yea i think it is that bad.

And lets not even bring up the drug dealing issue
If you stopped, perhaps it wouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Another "if you don't like it, leave" recommendation. What about "if you don't like it, fix it." It's not like there is popular concensus that the place is thriving or seeing it's best times. It needs CHANGE, not exodus. Especially if we want to continue living off the backs of middle class taxes with little business development and cadillac school and police salaries. Same old dead horse. Everyone who has a beef just leave, that's much easier.
What are you doing to fix it? We know you don't like it.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,059,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Seriously, nearly every post you have on this topic is a complete bash of how bad LI is (at least that it was much better). Some of your points are quite valid but what are YOU doing to make it better?
voting, volunteering, complaining, surviving, supporting my community, staying, praying (figuratively).

Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
voting, volunteering, complaining, surviving, supporting my community, staying, praying (figuratively).

Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,059,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm almost contemplating committing the supreme act of self-sacrifice...buying Islander season tickets.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Which does indeed show that everyone is different, because my sister could not wait to get out of Florida and move back here, and she is thrilled to bits that one of her children is moving to the DC area and getting out of that hot-house of racism and governmental jackarsery. Like you, she hated it there. Florida is where people from the NY tri-state area go to die when they are allergic to dust and can't handle Arizona.

Not that I am defending Long Island or holding it up as wonderful, but if I had to chose between Florida and Long Island, I'll take Long Island.
WHAT???

But you'd take Appalachia over Long Island, right?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Not a bad idea. We can cross a bridge, work illegally, be brash and emboldened as we demand our 'rights'! Viva Long Island!
I could be an illegal alien????

I like that! Especially the pay no income taxes, get free health care part.

Gotta get to work on some anchor babies now ...

Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
So it turns out that Long Island is the butt of jokes on a national level - who knew?
As is New Jersey, the Nation's Armpit, and West Virginia, where 32 people in one room is a full set of teeth.

However, people here seem to be hypersensitive to it, on this board at least. I don't understand all of the uproar. McCain is doddering on the edge of senility. The last smart thing he did was choose Sarah Palin for a running mate as it pretty much guaranteed that no one would try to assassinate him should he win. So then he says something snarky, and Chuck Schumer and Steve "Moustache" Levy get upset about it, as did a number of folks here.

Ye gods, people. Do you know how much abuse I put up with living in NoVA? Yes, the place was infested with people from up here, but DC and its burbs comprise an area of transients, with people from all over the country. A sampling:

"Oh my GAWD, you're from LAWN GUYLANDT."

"Say 'two utes.'"

"AYYY, yo, Butta-FOOOOOKoh! Watcha GOTTI for me today, hah?"

"Long Island? Really? You don't sound like it. What does 'd-o-g' spell?"

Although I suppose it could get old, because the last time someone did the d-o-g thing, I said, "'Azzhole.' It spells 'azzhole.'"

Never mind.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm almost contemplating committing the supreme act of self-sacrifice...buying Islander season tickets.
That's one sword I would not fall upon.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM

239 posts, read 417,218 times
Call me negative, LI basher that exaggerates. Yes I said that all LI people do is gossip, brag, and eat deli food, but it was more of snitch joke. Remember, I am from LI. If someone told me that joke I'd probably laugh because it sounds ridiculous. You got to take some insults with a grain of salt.

All I was trying to get at was that with the high cost of living, high taxes, and overpopulation I don't see how people are happy on LI anymore. But then again that is just my opinion. I'll tell you that I love open space and mountains, so of course I wouldn't be happy residing on LI.

Why do we even really care what John McCain has to say? Even though I joked about what he said was right, reality is he doesn't know anything about LI. It's not like he won the presidency. The media makes snitch jokes about many areas of the U.S. As someone stated before, look at New Jersey. I feel like people always make fun of the south, Texas, and even California. They call Massachusetts "Taxachusettes." As for not making fun of Maryland, I'm sure someone has. If not, probably because Maryland isn't that interesting no offense.

Rub it off, as I said you got to take regional insults with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island