U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:41 PM

239 posts, read 417,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
For what it's worth, I was born, raised, and lived in NYC until I was 37 and moved to Long Island. This is not just about Long Island, it is about NEW YORK! I would defend NYC, Long Island, and the Syracuse because it was still NEW YORK, against somebody from another STATE attacking it. Obviously, that was Schumer's point too. He is the Senator for ALL of New York State.
I'll tell you that Syracuse and most of upstate NY would never defend LI. From my experience living up there, they make fun of us more than we make fun of them. I think they'd rather just see LI become its own state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM

414 posts, read 152,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I'll tell you that Syracuse and most of upstate NY would never defend LI. From my experience up there, they make fun of us more than we make fun of them. I think they'd rather just see LI become its own state.
My inlaws are in Syracuse. They do in fact make a lot of fun of LI (bro inlaw's fam is from there).

Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM

3,131 posts, read 4,117,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
As is New Jersey, the Nation's Armpit, and West Virginia, where 32 people in one room is a full set of teeth.
In West Virginia it's called a TOOTHbrush and not a teethbrush for a reason

A ventriloquist is touring around the state of West Virginia performing his act. One night, while performing his act, he proceeded to make a bunch of redneck jokes while talking through his dummy. Halfway through his act, one of the audience members stands up and yells, "Hey! We don't take kindly to your jokes around here! Not all of us are as stupid as you make us look!"
The ventriloquist begins to apologize to the audience when the audience member interrupts him and says, "I was talking to the man on your lap, not you!"

If you give it you better be able to take it!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM

5,647 posts, read 3,198,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I'll tell you that Syracuse and most of upstate NY would never defend LI. From my experience living up there, they make fun of us more than we make fun of them. I think they'd rather just see LI become its own state.
I have and do defend the ENTIRE state of NY, especially living in another state, because I have been all over NYS. A Senator from NYS SHOULD defend the entire state. I love ALL of NYS from Connetquot to Casanova. My family originally came to Cold Springs from Belfast in 1840. Ever been up there? Absolutely beautiful place. Different from Manhattan, but just as beautiful in my book.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Long Island is like Appalachia but without the mountains and with teeth.
Them's fightin' words, mister!

Now pass me that jug o' moonshine!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 PM

414 posts, read 152,721 times
Quote:
I have and do defend the ENTIRE state of NY, especially living in another state, because I have been all over NYS. A Senator from NYS SHOULD defend the entire state. I love ALL of NYS from Connetquot to Casanova. My family originally came to Cold Springs from Belfast in 1840. Ever been up there? Absolutely beautiful place. Different from Manhattan, but just as beautiful in my book.
Cold Spring, and that entire Hudson Highland area is amazing. I love it up there.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
That doesn't mean the "anywhere else" doesn't kick LI's a$$ around the block as a place to live or for quality of life
So who kicks our a$$ around the block for QOL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
One thing I liked about Texas is that it has that NY attitude. I came to see Texas as the NY of the south. They think all their neighbors (Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico) are made up of inbred freaks. I said, "wow, Texans think someplace ELSE is made up of hillbillies!?" In hindsight they were right. TX was downright cosmopolitan compared to OK. In fairness to us, Jersey really is the scum of the earth and CT is in a coma! LOL. See, I can be nice.
Dissing OK? How could you? Oh, dear, don't you know that EDMOND, OKLAHOMA is the #1 choice in this "10 Perfect Suburbs" article?

10 Perfect Suburbs
News Headlines

Now don't you feel silly?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM

292 posts, read 691,313 times
Quote:
. I love ALL of NYS from Connetquot to Casanova.
But you don't love it enough to get the name correct....it's Cazenovia.

Hope you don't teach geography.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM

5,647 posts, read 3,198,175 times
I do not want to hijack this or get OT, or sound like a travel agent. People, experience your state. ALL of it. I am very grateful that I could. NYS is very "diverse" and you can have and experience just about everything possible. You can see skycrapers/highrisers, to beaches, seaports and lighthouses, to mountains, farms, lakes, waterfalls, etc. Don't just live in your own little world. Go out and appreciate all your state has to offer. You will not regret it. When I was a young woman, born, growing up, and living in Manhattan, I simply had no idea what NYS had to offer. I am very, very grateful for my life's experiences, to have gotten the opportunity to have had to chance to see ALL of NYS. THIS is why I will defend MY state of NY; ALL of it.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,326,781 times
Oh yeah...beautiful Buffalo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island