U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM

414 posts, read 152,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I do not want to hijack this or get OT, or sound like a travel agent. People, experience your state. ALL of it. I am very grateful that I could. NYS is very "diverse" and you can have and experience just about everything possible. You can see skycrapers/highrisers, to beaches, seaports and lighthouses, to mountains, farms, lakes, waterfalls, etc. Don't just live in your own little world. Go out and appreciate all your state has to offer. You will not regret it. When I was a young woman, born, growing up, and living in Manhattan, I simply had no idea what NYS had to offer. I am very, very grateful for my life's experiences, to have gotten the opportunity to have had to chance to see ALL of NYS. THIS is why I will defend MY state of NY; ALL of it.
You should run for governor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM

239 posts, read 417,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I do not want to hijack this or get OT, or sound like a travel agent. People, experience your state. ALL of it. I am very grateful that I could. NYS is very "diverse" and you can have and experience just about everything possible. You can see skycrapers/highrisers, to beaches, seaports and lighthouses, to mountains, farms, lakes, waterfalls, etc. Don't just live in your own little world. Go out and appreciate all your state has to offer. You will not regret it. When I was a young woman, born, growing up, and living in Manhattan, I simply had no idea what NYS had to offer. I am very, very grateful for my life's experiences, to have gotten the opportunity to have had to chance to see ALL of NYS. THIS is why I will defend MY state of NY; ALL of it.
NY is a beautiful state minus the run down industrial cities like Buffalo. Unfortunately many people are leaving because of sky rocket taxes, overcrowding of the NYC metro area, and poor upstate economy for decades (but then again in 2011, no where has a good economy).

If you ever seen the landscape out west it'll blow your mind compared to NY, nevertheless NY does have any beautiful landscapes.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM

93 posts, read 260,761 times
The taxes are horrible, but I like LI. I think my quality of life is pretty good.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,117,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
The taxes are horrible, but I like LI. I think my quality of life is pretty good.
You get what you pay for .... to a degree.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:18 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,844,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post

Here's what I've found (and this will drop a few jaws--or maybe not), but I while I don't love LI, I do find that I enjoy it a lot more when I'm not part of the office culture here. Most of the people I met here whom I absolutely could not stand were people I've worked with or who worked in offices I've done business with. I just don't like the way people here operate in that one regard. In my experience, they cross too many boundaries or aren't quite as current as city workers in terms of acceptable behavior at work.

Okay, and there is one neighbor who gets on my last nerve.

But the people in my community, the locals I see every day (shop owners, pharmacist, check-out people, people in the rental office, the new neighbors who crack me up, etc.), my other half's family and coworkers, and people I've gone hiking with in a hiking group, are all fine, good people. It's just the office culture. I don't fit in with it. City offices, yes, so maybe that's more a comment on suburban offices vs urban ones. But there it is.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I'll tell you that Syracuse and most of upstate NY would never defend LI. From my experience living up there, they make fun of us more than we make fun of them. I think they'd rather just see LI become its own state.
Just visit the CD upstate forums to see how much they loathe us. They've met a few bad apples so they assume we're all awful.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 PM

239 posts, read 417,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Here's what I've found (and this will drop a few jaws--or maybe not), but I while I don't love LI, I do find that I enjoy it a lot more when I'm not part of the office culture here. Most of the people I met here whom I absolutely could not stand were people I've worked with or who worked in offices I've done business with. I just don't like the way people here operate in that one regard. In my experience, they cross too many boundaries or aren't quite as current as city workers in terms of acceptable behavior at work.

But the people in my community, the locals I see every day (shop owners, pharmacist, check-out people, people in the rental office, the new neighbors who crack me up, etc.), my other half's family and coworkers, and people I've gone hiking with in a hiking group, are all fine, good people. It's just the office culture. I don't fit in with it. City offices, yes, so maybe that's more a comment on suburban offices vs urban ones. But there it is.
What office culture? Oh that's right there's no jobs these days since the economic crisis.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,196,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

I haven't been part of the "office culture" since the late 70s when I worked in Manhattan for a Fortune 500. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go back to that. I find working with disabled children and adults worth more than money. A lot of people would not understand that, but I feel I am giving back to society for what my own children received. I have no regrets leaving the for profit business world.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM

5,702 posts, read 8,137,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Just visit the CD upstate forums to see how much they loathe us. They've met a few bad apples so they assume we're all awful.
LIers (even the ex-pats) are generally jaded, impatient, loud, sarcastic, and generally crass by nature. I went to school upstate and dealt with plenty of townies - it's not a "few" bad apples. Most times we don't even realize we're being awful.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,117,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's insulting considering that WE fund the rest of the state. New York would be poorer than Puerto Rico if it wasent for Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island