U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM

999 posts, read 1,968,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Sorry to say but John McCain is right. If you ever lived in another part of the country you'd understand.

LI has just become an unattractive place. I'm not saying it's armpit of America, but there are many other better regions of the country to live in these days. I am originally from LI and I always will have a soft sport for it, but I cannot live there anymore since living upstate and out west. LI is overpopulated, overpriced, no space, flat, has sky high taxes because of poor tax infrastructure, has horrible traffic. It seems all anyone does there is eat deli food while they gossip and brag about themselves. Most parks don't allow dogs and people have no sense of outdoor recreational activity. Want to go hiking in the morning? Oh wait, they're no mountains on LI. Lets go to the beach? But you'll be stuck in 45 minute traffic, have to fight for a parking space, and end up having your towel two inches away from someone. How about biking? With the exception of Long Beach boardwalk and maybe a few others, there are no nice outdoor biking trails on LI. Most of Nassau County consists of these "turnpike towns" that are denser than osmium, filled with ugly strip malls and levitt homes that are usually right off Jericho or Hempstead Turnpike. North Shore is more spacious and prettier but only millionaires can afford to live there. Suffolk is a little better but it can take more than an hour to get off the island depending where you live. Now there is an SAT scandal, I guess because since people are living on top of each other they feel the need to unnecessarily compete against each other at everything. So they pay other people to take the SAT for their children for them.
Anybody I know who isn't from LI and has visited there does not like it at all and I don't blame them. The overcrowding and overpopulation has led to a poor quality of life on LI and most young people are leaving. The only good thing about LI is pizza and bagels. Places like Denver, San Diego, Tampa, Orlando, DC, and Seattle are way better regions to live in.

For the most part i agree, except the part with no hiking and trails, that is the biggest misconception on this island including the people who cry they want more and there are none, those people apparently have no idea how many areas there are for them... (maybe not as many areas in NC as SC, but they are there)

The pizza and bagels, in the 5 boros yes you can find good bagels and exceptional pizza, on long island you can find ***** you can deal with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 AM

239 posts, read 497,391 times
Meh, the racism I've seen on this forum is worse than anything McCain may have said about LI.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,150,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
Meh, the racism I've seen on this forum is worse than anything McCain may have said about LI.
Racism? Racism exists everywhere buddy ...

Believe it or not, even Black people and Hispanic people can be racist

Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM

2,518 posts, read 6,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
If the US doesent want us then we might as go it on our own. The only issues with independence are accepting the loss of US citizenship and the economic aspect, but hey that hasent derailed independence anywhere else in the world so why should it bother us?
Cool, you seem to have worked it all out. Do you know how will it turn out time wise ? Will I get enough time to get off of the island if I choose to ?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,076,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Very well said. I had to laugh at 75% of that post.
Funny, I cried at 75%. Very fair representation. Just forgot the arrogance and resistance to change our "unique suburban character" for the chance at something better.

McCain is an old goat. It was obviously an off the cuff joke, but oh what a dud. The PC police jumped all over it but really anyone with a sense of humor should have just rolled their eyes. Odd for him to say at all since all his forays here were in a beggars robe with his hands out for change.

"Don't be talkin' smack about my Island. Duh...if youse don't like LI, get the F out." Priceless. Classic, my house dropped another $30k and my taxes went UP 6.5%, yet every hack politician ran on the FACT that they FROZE taxes. Remarkable feats of fuzzy taxation and math. Oh yeah, they're all republicans.

Last edited by mongoose65; 12-01-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,305,600 times
Quote:
Sorry to say but John McCain is right. If you ever lived in another part of the country you'd understand.

LI has just become an unattractive place. I'm not saying it's armpit of America, but there are many other better regions of the country to live in these days. I am originally from LI and I always will have a soft sport for it, but I cannot live there anymore since living upstate and out west. LI is overpopulated, overpriced, no space, flat, has sky high taxes because of poor tax infrastructure, has horrible traffic. It seems all anyone does there is eat deli food while they gossip and brag about themselves. Most parks don't allow dogs and people have no sense of outdoor recreational activity. Want to go hiking in the morning? Oh wait, they're no mountains on LI. Lets go to the beach? But you'll be stuck in 45 minute traffic, have to fight for a parking space, and end up having your towel two inches away from someone. How about biking? With the exception of Long Beach boardwalk and maybe a few others, there are no nice outdoor biking trails on LI. Most of Nassau County consists of these "turnpike towns" that are denser than osmium, filled with ugly strip malls and levitt homes that are usually right off Jericho or Hempstead Turnpike. North Shore is more spacious and prettier but only millionaires can afford to live there. Suffolk is a little better but it can take more than an hour to get off the island depending where you live. Now there is an SAT scandal, I guess because since people are living on top of each other they feel the need to unnecessarily compete against each other at everything. So they pay other people to take the SAT for their children for them.
Anybody I know who isn't from LI and has visited there does not like it at all and I don't blame them. The overcrowding and overpopulation has led to a poor quality of life on LI and most young people are leaving. The only good thing about LI is pizza and bagels. Places like Denver, San Diego, Tampa, Orlando, DC, and Seattle are way better regions to live in.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Though with the exception of Denver, Seattle and DC I hate those other places too.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM

1,601 posts, read 3,047,160 times
Quote:

So you don't even live here anymore? Just decided to stop by and bash a little bit. Thanks for stopping in. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,076,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
So you don't even live here anymore? Just decided to stop by and bash a little bit. Thanks for stopping in. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Yes, never try to point out that LI is anything but Valhalla. Another "if you don't like LI, leave" post. Well, they left. Awesome. Who needs to improve? Not us... we rock, we rule.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,635,979 times
Sen. McCain: That a boy
I trip over the housing devlopments walking down the street.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,988,525 times
So it turns out that Long Island is the butt of jokes on a national level - who knew?

My favorite part of the whole story is the CNN bimbo pronouncing "NYers" as if it is a word - "nyers". As opposed to New Yorkers.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island