U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM

236 posts, read 369,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
LI is overpopulated, overpriced, no space, flat, has sky high taxes because of poor tax infrastructure, has horrible traffic. It seems all anyone does there is eat deli food while they gossip and brag about themselves. Most parks don't allow dogs and people have no sense of outdoor recreational activity. Want to go hiking in the morning? Oh wait, they're no mountains on LI. Lets go to the beach? But you'll be stuck in 45 minute traffic, have to fight for a parking space, and end up having your towel two inches away from someone. How about biking? With the exception of Long Beach boardwalk and maybe a few others, there are no nice outdoor biking trails on LI. Most of Nassau County consists of these "turnpike towns" that are denser than osmium, filled with ugly strip malls and levitt homes that are usually right off Jericho or Hempstead Turnpike. North Shore is more spacious and prettier but only millionaires can afford to live there. Suffolk is a little better but it can take more than an hour to get off the island depending where you live. Now there is an SAT scandal, I guess because since people are living on top of each other they feel the need to unnecessarily compete against each other at everything. So they pay other people to take the SAT for their children for them.
Got anymore inaccurate and exaggerated generalizations to offer?

Sorry, I just got back from lunch at the deli, and there wasn't enough provolone on my ham sandwich. So I was in a bad mood to begin with before I had to sit in traffic for 90 minutes even though I only had to go a 1/4 mile back to the office. I asked someone what all the traffic was for, and he said everyone had to drive due to the lack of bike paths. Then we spent 15 minutes complaining that there are no mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
So you don't even live here anymore? Just decided to stop by and bash a little bit. Thanks for stopping in. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
We get a lot of that on the LI forum -- the expats to utterly forgettable (but cheap!) places in middle america and the south who are bored to death where they are, yet never miss a chance to come here and "brag" about their $126 a year property taxes.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM

3,131 posts, read 4,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, I don't understand and I have lived in the "paradise" state for 4 very long years. Let me give you a couple of comments I have experienced myself.
I go back to LI as much as I can to see my kids on LI and be in NY. One time I was going through security in Florida and handed them my ticket and my Florida driver's license. The TSA guy said to me, "WHY do you want to leave paradise (sic) in the winter and go to NEW YORK?" I suppose HE thought it was funny too. I didn't find it funny at all. "I am a NEW YORKER and MISS New York", I said. If looks could kill, I would be dead. He shoved my papers at me.
Coming back, I went through security at JFK. This is NOT a made up story. I was crying because I didn't want to go back to Florida. So, I gave my papers to the TSA guy in NY, and he said to me, "Are you ok? What's the matter?" "You don't want to leave New York?" I was STUNNED when he said that! "Yes, I am New Yorker and don't want to leave NY", I said to him. "I don't blame you", he said. "New York is the greatest place in the world". He smiled at me and patted my hand.
Not everyone feels the way you do. Even people who have, and DO, live in other states.
I found McCan's, and that Florida TSA worker's,comments VERY INSULTING, and not funny at all.

Really... 4 years of constant complaining Where has it gotten you?
Who would have thought moving to Naples,Fl would be such a prison sentence

Instead of complaining on these boards all day why don't you have a heart to heart with your husband and let him know how you really feel? Have you tried that yet? If you have, what does he say? Life is too short to not to be happy or at least content, espically something that could be changed like your location.

How does one get pulled away from family? Does he hold a gun to your head? Does your say into things not matter at all? I know your older but women can be heard these days.You sound like a spineless jelly fish to me. I guess your husband doesn't come from the "Happy wife..happy life" mold. Remember you can control your destiny not others! Get off your keyster and do something about your situation already. Hope and change my friend. I'm surprised he hasn't booted you off his paradise Island yet

Last edited by BigMike50; 12-01-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 11:42 AM

5,702 posts, read 8,135,958 times
lol McCain - FWIW I think anyone would agree that LI is the epitome of how the GOP views what is ruining this country. Unions - et al.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Not everyone feels the way you do. Even people who have, and DO, live in other states.
I found McCan's, and that Florida TSA worker's,comments VERY INSULTING, and not funny at all.
Which does indeed show that everyone is different, because my sister could not wait to get out of Florida and move back here, and she is thrilled to bits that one of her children is moving to the DC area and getting out of that hot-house of racism and governmental jackarsery. Like you, she hated it there. Florida is where people from the NY tri-state area go to die when they are allergic to dust and can't handle Arizona.

Not that I am defending Long Island or holding it up as wonderful, but if I had to chose between Florida and Long Island, I'll take Long Island.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Love it!

Like this quote in the ND link too:
Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy , a Republican , said, "If the senator regrets that Long Island is part of this nation, then we certainly would welcome back all the disproportionate tax dollars we have sent to Washington."

The long-winded speech by JCNNY is just utter nonsense. Good for them - stay off our Island.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Jon Stewart's from NJ -- pot calling the kettle black in s Snookie kind of way?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
If the US doesent want us then we might as go it on our own. The only issues with independence are accepting the loss of US citizenship and the economic aspect, but hey that hasent derailed independence anywhere else in the world so why should it bother us?

Not a bad idea. We can cross a bridge, work illegally, be brash and emboldened as we demand our 'rights'! Viva Long Island!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Always room for improvement, its just not as bad as that poster makes it out to be.
And yes, if you don't like it here or anywhere you are, leave. That poster left but now wants to come here to this forum to bash LI, for what? To make themselves feel better about where they live now? Please!

Stuart Smalley's famous quote - YouTube

Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E

It's looked upon as New Jersey without the pizzazz
Or the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island