Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Just visit the CD upstate forums to see how much they loathe us. They've met a few bad apples so they assume we're all awful.
Mybe if more people from NY had maners
you ask a guy to hold your spot in line in SC they say why sure
you ask a person in NY they tell you to Moderator cut: language deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 PM

239 posts, read 509,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's insulting considering that WE fund the rest of the state. New York would be poorer than Puerto Rico if it wasent for Long Island.
More like NYC funds the state with all those high-end, snobby, upscale business jobs in Manhattan. Upstate NY could probably do without Nassau and Suffolk. In the end upstate NY and Long Island could not survive economically without NYC.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
LIers (even the ex-pats) are generally jaded, impatient, loud, sarcastic, and generally crass by nature. I went to school upstate and dealt with plenty of townies - it's not a "few" bad apples. Most times we don't even realize we're being awful.
Speak for yourself

j/k

When I was a USB student, we considered Stony Brook residents to be townies.

I've come a long way LOL

Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
More like NYC funds the state with all those high-end, snobby, upscale business jobs in Manhattan. Upstate NY could probably do without Nassau and Suffolk. In the end upstate NY and Long Island could not survive economically without NYC.

How much of that money stays in NYC vs how much NYS (everything outside of the 5 Boroughs) money pours into NYC in the way of housing subsidies, welfare, school funding -- just to name a few.

NYC definitely drives the tristate's economic engine, but I don't know enough to state with any confidence that it funds the state.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM

239 posts, read 509,354 times
Quote:
How much of that money stays in NYC vs how much NYS (everything outside of the 5 Boroughs) money pours into NYC in the way of housing subsidies, welfare, school funding -- just to name a few.

NYC definitely drives the tristate's economic engine, but I don't know enough to state with any confidence that it funds the state.
I ment more that NYC is the economic engine of NY, like you said. I doubt much or anything actually goes to the state. While not as high as LI, upstate NY has high taxes too. High taxes everywhere in NY = state funding

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post

Thank you Emily Post.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
LIers (even the ex-pats) are generally jaded, impatient, loud, sarcastic, and generally crass by nature. I went to school upstate and dealt with plenty of townies - it's not a "few" bad apples. Most times we don't even realize we're being awful.
True. I've learned to tone it down when away from my Tri-State cousins. Southerners still find me snarky, but in a fun friendly way. And I've even been paid the ultimate compliment which is, "So and so hates New Yorkers, but they likes you".

Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Really? I was going into a donut shop in Florida and held the door open for a younger man with both hands full of donuts and coffees. You would have thought I had just given him a million dollars by his reaction. What is the big deal? Because I am old and a WOMAN? So what? I am not a cripple and he was struggling. Oh, I forgot. New Yorkers have no manners. Only Southerners do.

For what it is worth, I believe equality isn't a one way street. A Southern woman wouldn't help out a man? Is this my New York "attitude"? Well, then quilty as charged.

Last edited by Jo48; 12-01-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Sorry to say but John McCain is right. If you ever lived in another part of the country you'd understand.
When McCain used the word, regretably, in the context of Long Island life, or our values, or for that matter, any aspect of Long Island living,
or its contribution to the rest of the nation as home of the national laboratory as well as being a major contributor to the military and defense
industry, while cranking out some of the greatest aircraft ever to reach the military, once upon a time, we were the unspoken home of Rosie the Riviter,
Long Island Ice Tea, Billy Joel and the red light camera.

John McCain was a prisoner of war during the Vietnam conflict, he spent time in a Viet Cong prison camp, and was most likely subjected to torture,
I think that whether it was the Chinese water torture or the bamboo shoots under the fingernails, I believe that he has carried those traumatic times
and those days along with baggage that really doesn't belong in today's newly digitized world, he is a relic that needs to head for the tar pits, and to
dedicate himself to doing much good by lying there in the tar pits as little more than biodegradable mass given back to society.

Among the many nightmares that often come to me in trouble times, there is the horror story that has John McCain steering the wheel of the
ship of state, directing our country from a bunker below the White House and playing soldier boy at 80 years old, no that would never do. I have never
been to Arizona and most probably McCain has never been to Long Island, he might be trying to pass it off as, comedy, but there is really nothing funny
about the fact that as a public official his behavior is continually under scrutiny and that if he cannot contain his thinking so as not to demographically
demean nor negate any segment of the population.

I really think that John needs to return to Arizona and begin building a fence, regrettably more people flow through his open borders, perhaps to be
the landscapers that descend upon Long Island, like locusts. If he really wanted to do more to brighten America's future, I hope that he is considering
electrifying the fence! He will always be considered as nothing more than mediocre in my book, just another glory seeking personality who had the good
fortune of being, at one time, exposed in the media and trumped up to more than they really were.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself

j/k

When I was a USB student, we considered Stony Brook residents to be townies.

I've come a long way LOL
Gotta love that "townie" thing. It's amazing how full of ourselves we get in college... we know everything and everyone else is so dumb! rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
True. I've learned to tone it down when away from my Tri-State cousins. Southerners still find me snarky, but in a fun friendly way. And I've even been paid the ultimate compliment which is, "So and so hates New Yorkers, but they likes you".
lol "snarky" - so true... I've found that it's the sarcasm that gets easily misinterpreted for other stuff. It's a very fine line between snarky and coming off as obnoxious. Like you, I try hard to not cross the line - and even at that I can't help myself sometimes. I cringe when I see fellow ex-pats doing it when I'm out and about. If you step back it's very easy to see why the Tri-state area (including LI) has such a bad rap everywhere else. McCain will get insta support in certain areas bashing LI because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island