U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times

Advertisements

Aldi Grocery Store to Take Over Former Circuit City Spot - Three Village, NY Patch

Quote:
A German-based grocery chain is renovating the former Circuit City shopping center in Lake Grove.

Aldi, a discount supermarket originally started in Germany, is currently gutting the Circuit City location on Alexander Avenue. The market plans to open for business by the summer of 2012, according to spokeswoman Amy Nadler. An exact date has not yet been determined.
The location in Bay Shore was too far to drive -- the cost of gas would negate any savings. I am looking forward to checking out this new location when it opens.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Aldi's Question: Is it just a bargain spot or is the food particularly less processed? I know they own Trader Joes (thanks to getting schooled on this forum) and TJ's packaged stuff is generally alot more wholesome than the supermarket brands. Wondered if Aldi's was similar in that regard.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
oh gee..I cant wait.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM

756 posts, read 983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
oh gee..I cant wait.

If only you were talking about a visit from the Grim Reaper.....

Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM

5,702 posts, read 8,134,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Aldi's Question: Is it just a bargain spot or is the food particularly less processed? I know they own Trader Joes (thanks to getting schooled on this forum) and TJ's packaged stuff is generally alot more wholesome than the supermarket brands. Wondered if Aldi's was similar in that regard.
I found Aldi's to have great prices, but only good for basic staples since they have a very limited selection... Each department is very small and we always needed to go somewhere else to completely stock up the pantry/fridge/etc. So needing to go somewhere else anyway kind of did it in for me and haven't been back in a while. YMMV I guess and depending on proximity to other stores it may very well be worth making the 2nd stop if it's only for a few things you can't find at Aldi's.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
now was that nice?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Quote:
It's a bargain spot - it's just generic brands of regular foods, with some name brands thrown in. The day I checked them out, they had some Kraft products. Otherwise one of the brands was Millville and I can't remember the others. Not worth a special trip - if there's one where you'd normally shop then go for it.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
It's ok for some things but you will most likely need to shop somewhere else to get the items they don't carry. For cereal, milk, eggs, butter, chips, baking needs they are good but their meat and chicken is so so and they do not have an actual deli department, It's all packaged cold cuts and they do not have fresh fish it's all frozen.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
There are four shopping centers -- 3 on the south side of 347, one on the north -- each has a supermarket: Waldbaums, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and the future Aldi's. Aldi's will be the furthest from me; I would be passing the other three on the way home. It wouldn't be an inconvenience in my situation.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM

418 posts, read 912,908 times
Quote:
With Trader Joe's I am yet to see a fluke with a food item - very consistent good quality, great selection etc. Don't have anything negative to say.
With Aldi's (Bayshore) - not an extensive experience, but would put it a notch lower in terms of quality. Not sure about "wholesome" .
The meat section there does not seem appealing to me (not sure why) and I have not tried any of it.
I found an extremely good coffee (beans) for a low price, good and reasonably priced European cookies and chocolates, some cheeses - less than in TJ, other basic stuff. The canned food is super cheap (half the TJ price) - some of that is good, some - not so good.

It's a great thing that it's coming nearby. It was a hassle to drive to Bayshore and I only did it a couple of times. Once you identify quality items, I think is worth adding to a shopping routine.
I like their business model (both TJ & Aldi). TJ is more quirky, Aldi's is efficient .
BTW, I think Whole Foods is over-priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island