U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,665,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
What you also need to consider is that although Bayside is a nice area, it's still part of the NYC Department of Education, which means that you would have to deal with middle and high school application process which is tedious and bureaucracy-ridden in addition to the fact that kids have to get high grades on specialized exams to get in. So, moving to a town in Long Island with a strong school system alleviates this problem because once you are a town resident, you attend town schools without an additional headache.
That's what I like about Long Island schools, they're set in stone so there's no surprises later on down the road. I don't get how people want to consolidate LI into county-wide districts. What a disaster that would be. The school district IS the community in most cases. Although Bayside and Cardozo do not look too bad on paper, even above average schools easily trump them on LI. I wouldn't want to deal with the dysfunctional NYCDOE and the City income tax.

OP, I would consider the south shore for that price range. GN is nice but what can you find there for $600k? Check out Rockville Centre and the south shore towns on the babylon LIRR line (Merrick to Massapequa/Park)... Way more bang for your buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:06 PM

64 posts, read 188,311 times
I haven't checked out Rockville before, but quickly scanning the houses for sale, they seem like bigger houses than Bayside and GN. The couple that I checked seem to be around 10k in property tax.

Haven't checked out Port Washington yet. Will take a look at that also.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,676,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newy0rker View Post
I haven't checked out Rockville before, but quickly scanning the houses for sale, they seem like bigger houses than Bayside and GN. The couple that I checked seem to be around 10k in property tax.
Be aware that there are places that have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address that are not in the Village of Rockville Centre are in the Hamlet of South Hempstead, the Hamlet of Baldwin, the Hamlet of Oceanside, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

Quote:
Be aware that Port Washington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (6,652 acres) are not in the community (2,732 acres):

Places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington are in the Village of Sands Point, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:

That seems low for a big house in Rockville Centre. Rockville Centre also has a Village property tax on top of the County/School District property taxes. Some realtors do not list the Village property taxes in the "total property taxes" section. Village property taxes in Rockville Centre for a house costing $600-$700K can be anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 in addition to the other property taxes.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,974,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
What you also need to consider is that although Bayside is a nice area, it's still part of the NYC Department of Education, which means that you would have to deal with middle and high school application process which is tedious and bureaucracy-ridden in addition to the fact that kids have to get high grades on specialized exams to get in. So, moving to a town in Long Island with a strong school system alleviates this problem because once you are a town resident, you attend town schools without an additional headache.
I think I already said that in an earlier post.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM

64 posts, read 188,311 times
How's the traffic in Port Washington, Valley Stream, or Rockville Centre in the morning to LIRR? It seems it takes an average of 10minutes, depending on the location of the house, but it doesn't take into account traffic. Also, do you need a permit to park at these LIRR locations? How much?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,923,260 times
Quote:
How's the traffic in Port Washington, Valley Stream, or Rockville Centre in the morning to LIRR? It seems it takes an average of 10minutes, depending on the location of the house, but it doesn't take into account traffic. Also, do you need a permit to park at these LIRR locations? How much?
In Valley Stream there is no significant traffic to worry about when going to any of the 3 LIRR stations (Valley Stream, Gibson, Westwood).

Here is the parking permit cost info for the Village of Valley Stream. The parking decals are good for ALL municipal parking lots (shopping, parks, pool, etc.), including LIRR:

Residents: $40 for two years
Non-Residents: $425 for one year

The LIRR station named Valley Stream also has metered parking available.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM

2,748 posts, read 3,010,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
That's what I like about Long Island schools, they're set in stone so there's no surprises later on down the road. I don't get how people want to consolidate LI into county-wide districts. What a disaster that would be. The school district IS the community in most cases. Although Bayside and Cardozo do not look too bad on paper, even above average schools easily trump them on LI. I wouldn't want to deal with the dysfunctional NYCDOE and the City income tax.
I think the idea is to consolidate administration, not districts. One of the conclusions of that article comparing LI to Reston, VA was that LI has many layers of duplicative administration which are a callback to when it was a series of small rural communities. Even if we did it at a town level, it's more efficient to have one school superintendent and staff, one water district, one sewer district, one fire department, etc., than dozens, all drawing paychecks. You would keep districts and buildings, just adminstrate them differently from the top down.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,676,301 times
Under current NYS law, it is impossible to consolidate administrations but not districts.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM

166 posts, read 447,363 times
Quote:
I don't drive to the LIRR. I have a 6 minute walk to the LIRR so I don't know the details but straight from the Town of North Hempstead website:

Town of North Hempstead - Applications

FEES: Parking Permit 6/1/11 to 5/31/12: $15.00
In addition to the parking permit a voucher is also required
Daily Voucher: $1.00
Book of Vouchers (10): $10.00
Monthly Voucher: $20.00
Yearly Voucher: $240.00

Port Washington isn't that big and there are only 2 or 3 major intersections that are no bigger then typical intersections in the East Village of Manhattan. There isn't like a block long line of cars trying to get into the LIRR station with 4 lanes of cars merging. The main artery, Port Washington BLVD is a 45MPH 4 lane expressway... I would call it traffic if we were going less then 30MPH, but that's mainly used to get into or out of Port Washington. It's no Penn Station or any other terminal. I would just add 10 minutes to your total commute time. Or better yet, let google maps tell you how long. It's fairly accurate down to walking time. I wouldn't exactly worry about traffic. We live on a peninsula. No else trying to go through Port Washington except for people living in Port Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or