U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM

9,905 posts, read 12,977,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I have an idea where you are speaking about as when I was looking I looked in that area too and I believe we decided against it b/c of the closeness to CI. However, what I learned while house hunting is...if you question anything that you are unsure of or weary about, to me, it means it is not the right place for you. Buying a home is a big thing and well, if you find yourself unhappy about it, it's hard to sell in these times and prices have been in decline which means you would be left in that area. I searched Commack, Smithtown and a bunch of areas and ended up in Kings Park which wasn't even on our list until we visited one day by accident. Have you thought about trying there? I know it's very North but it's right next to smithtown and the schools are good. I own a ranch and our taxes are approx. $8500 without STAR. With STAR the are in the $7,000 range which is hard to find on Long Island.

I do know what you mean though about having to turn one way when leaving the development. Before we looked in Smithtown, we looked in Deer Park with Half Hollow Hills Schools which means we were looking right off of Straight Path which was right next to Wyandanch. We decided against it b/c of the close proximity to Wyandanch and also, we felt that well, we would have to drive through there all the time to access the Southern State and also, my family lives South so they would have to drive through there as well and we felt silly that people would have to get off that exit to access a home we lived in. Therefore, we ended up in Kings Park and are very happy there. Miss my family b/c they are on the south shore but it's not like they're in another state.

Good luck with your search.
While I agree with most of what you say..it's really not dangerous to drive down Straight Path. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I didn't even go into the double yellow/high tension wire zone. The exhaust from the LIE wafting down over the neighborhood would be my first big red flag. Noise would be #2 -- the LIE sits above the neighborhood over that way, doesn't it?

I'm not sure of the actual zone of effect from gas fumes coming from the LIE. There is most likely a sound barrier wall there. The bigger concern is proximity to Brentwood and CI.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM

819 posts, read 2,472,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
While I agree with most of what you say..it's really not dangerous to drive down Straight Path. Seriously.
I agree with you b/c I do drive through there once in a while if I want to get to the South shore and avoid the Sunken. However, I was a little embarassed to tell people they would have to cut through Wyandanch to come and visit us. That's all. I drive through Wyandanch myself once in a while.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not sure of the actual zone of effect from gas fumes coming from the LIE. There is most likely a sound barrier wall there. The bigger concern is proximity to Brentwood and CI.
No sound barrier -- just googled mapped it and walked the little dude down the service road.

Between Brentwood, CI, and the LIE in the home's front yard -- the OP should walk away.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
No sound barrier -- just googled mapped it and walked the little dude down the service road.

Between Brentwood, CI, and the LIE in the home's front yard -- the OP should walk away.
I wouldn't consider it either. Considering how long it's been on the market, not many people are.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Hauppauge in the Town of Smithtown and the Towqn of Islip, Suffolk County

A map of the Hamlet of Hauppauge in the Town of Smithtown and the Towqn of Islip, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Hauppauge has a different border than does the "Hauppauge, NY 11788" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Hauppauge, NY 11788" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Hauppauge and a place can have other than a "Hauppauge, NY 11788" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Hauppauge): places that have a "Hauppauge, NY 11788" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Hauppauge are in the Hamlet of Smithtown and the Village of Islandia; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Hauppauge with a "Smithtown, NY 11787", "Commack, NY 11725", "Brentwood, NY 11717" and "Central Islip, NY 11722" mailing address.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM

188 posts, read 340,469 times
I live in Hauppauge, the western end. You can find homes in that price range in better Hauppauge neighborhoods. You really need to stay north of the LIE and if possible, in the Town of Smithtown rather than Islip.

Yes, Bretton Woods elementary is considered the lesser of the three elementary schools but I would not say it is by a wide margin.

Hauppauge is a good area and affordable. The industrial park provides a buffer from Brentwood, which is nice. Yes, many neighborhoods have high tension wires but most of the year they are barely noticeable.

Plenty of things to do in surrounding areas (Commack, Smithtown, etc).

Best of luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island