Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 72,994 times

Advertisements

I know this may sound like a rather eccentric question but are there any residential areas in Eastern Nassau or Western Suffolk that have zoning for Helipads? If not then how can I find something like this out?

We don't own any of these vehicles at the moment but my husband and I are developing an avid interest for these so our next location may be reflective on the zoning regulations for helipads/helicopters.

Thank you for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,375 times
Blue
Some guy tried that in baiting hollow he bought 10 acres of land started landing his helicopter.
PS
He no longer lands his helicopter on his 10 acres

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
So I'm confused based on this previous thread post of yours:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post21617998

You want to live somewhere that you can have a helipad, but on not too much land and where people aren't snooty.

All-righty then.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:43 AM

16 posts, read 72,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So I'm confused based on this previous thread post of yours:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post21617998

You want to live somewhere that you can have a helipad, but on not too much land and where people aren't snooty.

All-righty then.
You seriously felt the need to go through my past activity?

And just because we enjoy Helicopters and Aeronautics doesn't make us "snooty" people. I don't know where you got that from and why you would choose to judge me. The reason we are even contemplating moving out to Long Island is b/c Aeronautics is our career fields and coincidentally, Long Island is a major center of this industry.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM

516 posts, read 1,075,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecollarbred View Post
Aeronautics is our career fields and coincidentally, Long Island is a major center of this industry.
Make that was,now we are left to clean up the environmental mess they left.

I do not think you are going to find any town on LI that will allow this unless your last name is Dolan

Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,292 times
First of all, you would have to check with local zoning laws to even 'try' to apply for a permit to land a chopper anywhere in a city.

Next, you will have to Check with the FAA to see what regulations they have, about choppers in your area, and where you can land them at. (Reason they have local airports, is because everyone would want one in his/her backyard!!). You have regulations on everything in Aviation, and, helicopters in residential neighborhoods have a whole host of them.

NOW, your Neighbors!!! They are NOT going to be happy, you flying over thier homes, and landing outside 'thier' yards!!! A chopper goes down the wrong way, (even if its not pilot error) and catastropic damage may occur to life and property!! Neighbors dont want to hear the "whap-whap-whap", of a chopper blade, going through the air, if they are trying to sleep, and, if ANY of them have children around, FUGGEDABOUTIT!!!

Now, Insurance Companies...
You can get a huge policy of a few million dolllars, but, even they want reassurances and that you have every hurdle jumped through, every 'T' crossed and 'i's dotted, and then, they still may turn you down, since anything and everything can go wrong....

Its always best to keep a chopper at the airport, because they have the facilities to handle them, and the liability insurance to compensate for unseen disasters.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:

All 11 posts. It was time consuming.

If YOU read through this forum, you'll see people here aren't big fans of noise that comes from up above. So I wouldn't expect a lot of serious help, nor would I expect that anyone here has their own helicopter and helipad. That's just a shot in the dark, though - maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Plus, I am really am intrigued. You professed to not want a snooty town and you wondered about people who live on large plots of land. Pretty sure without even giving it much thought you aren't getting a helipad into any yard in Levittown....zoning issues aside. I remember a house in Lloyd Harbor that sold for maybe $40million (??? - not sure) that had a helipad.
Soooo...you make less than $200K a year, and I didn't think houses with helipads were available to people in that income range. Nor did I think helicopters were available either....but maybe I assume too much....maybe helicopters aren't much more expensive than a Range Rover. I am sincerely intrigued.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Quote:

And just because we enjoy Helicopters and Aeronautics doesn't make us "snooty" people. I don't know where you got that from and why you would choose to judge me. The reason we are even contemplating moving out to Long Island is b/c Aeronautics is our career fields and coincidentally, Long Island is a major center of this industry.
Is it? I know there is a lot of aviation history on Long Island, but I was under the impression that industry has been fairly dead here for at least the last 20 years. I could be completely wrong, though... I don't really know.

As far as landing a helicopter on your property, I think that would be pretty cool... but like others said, I'm sure most towns probably have some kinda regulations against it. You never know, though... some town/village codes are pretty archaic and may not have been updated since the early 20th century. I remember looking through the zoning for one of the small villages on the north shore in Nassau once (I think it was Laurel Hollow) and it mentioned something about not allowing "autogyros" to be operated during certain hours.

If you're serious about it, the best way to research would probably be to hire a lawyer that specializes in local zoning and property issues. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
If you're serious about it, the best way to research would probably be to hire a lawyer that specializes in local zoning and property issues. Good luck!

That's probably the best (and only? ) advice so far.
If you are serious, I can recommend someone.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
Wants to get into aernautics on long island...youre late by about 60 years. Move to Kansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island