U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 11,011 times

Advertisements

First post; been lurking forever.

Me and my wife have been house-hunting the last few months. We're currently living with family to save after having rented for some years in New England. However, we have a young son who is coming up on school age and made the decision to trek back to the LI to be near our family as we look to settle permanently.

My wife teaches in the 3 Village Schools and I work in the city, which is a tough thing to balance but we make do. My commute is what it is, and since getting the little guy ready and out the door (and back the other way) falls on her, "splitting" the commute really isn't fair. As such, we primarily were looking initially in the Smithtown/3 Village areas as we love those districts, have lots of family nearby and have some personal experience with both. However, we recently expanded out to include Hauppauge in our search at people's suggestion because of the much lower taxes, which influence monthly payments most heavily these days with interest rates being what they are.

We found a house we LOVE thats in our price range just south of the LIE and off Wheeler Road. Its in the "Bretton Road" development down there: the entire development is zoned for Hauppauge schools (we've checked) and it is separated from CI by Motor Parkway to the south, and even the areas just south of Motor Parkway seem really fine (well-kept, nicer middle class looking streets, etc). However, we're not naive; I know CI doesn't get its reputation by accident. And while its easy to say "just don't go south" coming out of the development, do you really want to live in an area that you have to say "just don't turn one way" when you're coming out? In addition, there is a cute park at the end of the block that backs up to the road that runs parallel to Motor Parkway. My wife asked me last night, and I think it was a good question, "Would you feel safe if in 5, 6 years, our son wanted to go play at that park with his friends by themselves?" And I couldn't answer that, which made me pause.

Just wondering if anyone has specific experience in that area. Its Bretton Woods elementary (I know from looking at the report cards and rankings that its considered the lesser of the 3 elementaries in the district), too. I would obviously commute from Central Islip train station (I currently go from Ronk) so any first hand experience on that would be helpful, too (I drove around the area late one night and it seemed fine: small parking lot, well lit, etc).

I also have some other concerns on Hauppauge just about its lack of a "town" and identity and whether there is truly anything native to Hauppauge (rather than having to leave Hauppauge for everything and go into Smithtown or Port Jeff or Islip, etc etc) - but for now, just wanted to get thoughts on that area of the town specifically and whether we should even bother falling further in love with the house itself, or shift our view elsewhere.

Thanks everyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM

418 posts, read 913,071 times
Not familiar with that particular development, but you take a risk buying a house sandwiched between LIE and a not so good area to the south. Also, have seen here mentioned that Hauppague's meaning is not necessarily "sweet water" but also "overflowing land" - check if that location gets flooded.

I personally would have opted for St. James or Smithtown as residence, but unfortunately, the Port Jeff line is horrible for everyday commute... Ronkonkoma - much better for the distance. Not an easy solution for your situation.
But I completely agree with your decision to choose 1 end of the commute distance (with you doing the sacrifice) - splitting the distance just makes things worse for everyone, IMO.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Not familiar with the area, but having lived in Garden City for 13 years, I will tell you there is a whole segment of that village that lives their lives "never turning south" - they back right up to Hempstead, and I guess they make do!

Second, if your child is not yet in school, I doubt you are looking at him going to the park alone any time soon...I would not necessarily let that factor into your decision. There are any number of things that will influence your decision on that in years to come. You'll see what I mean

Living in a town with a "downtown" was important to us when we house-hunted....you have to decide how big a factor that is for you. It was at the top of our list.

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM

9,901 posts, read 12,973,449 times
"Bretton Woods"= Brentwood with Hauppauge schools.

I'm guessing it's the house with the big dormers?

I've looked at it, but you have to worry about resale value there. It might even be a Brentwood mailing address that they aren't telling you about. There's a reason houses in that area sit for long periods of time.

If you look at anything in the other areas of Hauppauge they average about 50K-75K more. It's obvious why.

Hauppauge has no "town". It has a good school district, low taxes, and is conveniently located. If you want "town" you go to Smithtown.

Last edited by dman72; 12-02-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 AM

418 posts, read 913,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
"Bretton Woods"= Brentwood with Hauppauge schools.

I'm guessing it's the house with the big dormers?

I've looked at it, but you have to worry about resale value there. It might even be a Brentwood mailing address that they aren't telling you about.
I think, Brentwood is to the west of the place the OP is considering, and that is Bretton Rd not Woods. Central Islip is immediately south.

I am thinking, possibly this house, which has a nice curb appeal:
92 Woodbury Rd, Hauppauge, NY 11788 | MLS# 2409050

Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
I think, Brentwood is to the west of the place the OP is considering, and that is Bretton Rd not Woods. Central Islip is immediately south.

I am thinking, possibly this house, which has a nice curb appeal:
92 Woodbury Rd, Hauppauge, NY 11788 | MLS# 2409050
That's exactly the house I was talking about. I raised the idea of it to family and they flew off the handle after seeing where it is on the map.

It's basically right next to East Brentwood (as indicated by Mapquest) and Central Islip. Basically the same area in terms of demographics. Brentwood schools are slightly better, which in this case is irrelevant. This is an area that most likely had a Brentwood or CI address but was changed by people living there, kind of like Islandia.

It does actually have a 11788 zip code, so it's legitimately in Hauppauge.

Last edited by dman72; 12-02-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
If that's the house, I wouldn't buy it -- the WB LIE service road backs the houses immediately across the street. Who knows how bad the noise can be, and how much additional exhaust those homeowners are exposed to?

Then there's the question as to whether there are any illegal apartments in the area, and if so, who is renting them?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If that's the house, I wouldn't buy it -- the WB LIE service road backs the houses immediately across the street. Who knows how bad the noise can be, and how much additional exhaust those homeowners are exposed to?

Then there's the question as to whether there are any illegal apartments in the area, and if so, who is renting them?
It's very difficult to find a house in Hauppauge that isn't on a double yellow, bordering a double yellow, across the street from a house bordering a double yellow, or in view of high tension wires.

Trust me, I've looked extensively. Basically everything south of vets has high tension wires running through the neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's very difficult to find a house in Hauppauge that isn't on a double yellow, bordering a double yellow, across the street from a house bordering a double yellow, or in view of high tension wires.

Trust me, I've looked extensively. Basically everything south of vets has high tension wires running through the neighborhood.

I didn't even go into the double yellow/high tension wire zone. The exhaust from the LIE wafting down over the neighborhood would be my first big red flag. Noise would be #2 -- the LIE sits above the neighborhood over that way, doesn't it?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM

819 posts, read 2,471,451 times
I have an idea where you are speaking about as when I was looking I looked in that area too and I believe we decided against it b/c of the closeness to CI. However, what I learned while house hunting is...if you question anything that you are unsure of or weary about, to me, it means it is not the right place for you. Buying a home is a big thing and well, if you find yourself unhappy about it, it's hard to sell in these times and prices have been in decline which means you would be left in that area. I searched Commack, Smithtown and a bunch of areas and ended up in Kings Park which wasn't even on our list until we visited one day by accident. Have you thought about trying there? I know it's very North but it's right next to smithtown and the schools are good. I own a ranch and our taxes are approx. $8500 without STAR. With STAR the are in the $7,000 range which is hard to find on Long Island.

I do know what you mean though about having to turn one way when leaving the development. Before we looked in Smithtown, we looked in Deer Park with Half Hollow Hills Schools which means we were looking right off of Straight Path which was right next to Wyandanch. We decided against it b/c of the close proximity to Wyandanch and also, we felt that well, we would have to drive through there all the time to access the Southern State and also, my family lives South so they would have to drive through there as well and we felt silly that people would have to get off that exit to access a home we lived in. Therefore, we ended up in Kings Park and are very happy there. Miss my family b/c they are on the south shore but it's not like they're in another state.

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island