Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times

Advertisements

Airplane! (1/10) Movie CLIP - Red Zone vs. White Zone (1980) HD - YouTube Red Zone/White zone argument from the movie airplane. Could not resist after reading about the different zones in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
K4...check out the MTA website. Put the starting station in zone 4 and the ending station. They don't even sell a monthly if you are going to a different line. They only sell dailies via Jamaica
If you punch in Far Rockaway->Mineola, it won't give you a price for a monthly ticket... but you can get a Zone 4<->Zone 3 monthly and it'll work for that trip. When you buy it at the ticket machine, punch in your home station on one end and Jamaica on the other. If she's traveling to Mineola, it won't matter what station it says... just that it's in Zone 4. I've used both my monthly ticket and round-trip tickets that say "Wantagh" on them to get to Hicksville and Oyster Bay no problem.

Quote:
One zone tickets are not meant to transfer from one line to another line within the zone. If that was allowed, I can see the fraud being committed by commuters with one zone tickets saying they are just transferring to go back on another line to the original zone..then hop on the train at Jamaica to get to the city.
Exactly... "oh I'm traveling in-zone... with a transfer at Penn Station".

You CAN transfer to other lines within zone on a one-zone ticket, though. The transfer just has to happen within that zone. Far Rockaway to West Hempstead via Valley Stream, for instance... or if you wanna get really crazy you could even switch 3 lines and go from Hempstead to East Williston via Floral Park and Mineola. But once you travel out of that zone - even if your final destination is back inside of it, you need to pay the higher fare.

K4 - If your girlfriend is stuck using public transit, it would only cost about $90/month to take the bus to Mineola (N31/32->N40/41). That's about the same price as an in-zone monthly LIRR ticket.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Asking this for my girlfriend. Apparently the conductor threatened to force her off the train two separate times because of this. I checked the MTA site and you can't do a monthly ticket from the Far Rockaway line to Mineola. We both figured that the only thing that mattered was peak/off-peak and zone #s.

But like you said, it is the MTA.
When did this happen? I think I was sitting next to her when this happened... if not, then the same exact thing happened to someone i was sitting next to.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
When did this happen? I think I was sitting next to her when this happened... if not, then the same exact thing happened to someone i was sitting next to.
FR line? Early morning (730ish)?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Old 12-04-2011, 04:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
FR line? Early morning (730ish)?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Oh not FR line...it was on Long Beach. Different girl then.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
oh I have a bridge for sale...oh never mind...

One zone tickets are meant to be used for local travel within the zone on the same line.

One zone tickets are not meant to transfer from one line to another line within the zone. If that was allowed, I can see the fraud being committed by commuters with one zone tickets saying they are just transferring to go back on another line to the original zone..then hop on the train at Jamaica to get to the city.

K4...will the conductor sell her a step up fare with the one zone. My guess is most conductors don't look that close and she can say she thought it was a valid way to go to another line in the same zone...she probably argued and thats why she was threated to be thrown off.
Yes, you could transfer between different lines. For instance, if she were going from Far Rockaway (Zone 4) to West Hempstead (Zone 4), she could transfer between the Far Rockaway Branch and West Hempstead Branch at Valley Stream. The same thing applies if she were going to Lynbrook. You can also travel within Zone 7 (Syosset-Bathpage with a transfer at Hicksville)

As far as your example goes, the person would get away with a ride to Jamaica (instead of having to pay the Zone 4-Zone 3 differential), but since the pass isn't valid for Zone 1, the person wouldn't be able to ride the train to Penn Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
They really SHOULD sell an "in zone" monthly ticket that would provide unlimited travel within a zone. The only problem is that, aside from zone 1 and zone 4 you really can't go anywhere other than east-west in a zone without leaving that zone to get to a hub.
You can. See the above example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
K4 - If your girlfriend is stuck using public transit, it would only cost about $90/month to take the bus to Mineola (N31/32->N40/41). That's about the same price as an in-zone monthly LIRR ticket.
It would be cheaper to just buy a Zone 3-4 pass. It would be $165, which is $83 more expensive than a Zone 4 pass, rather than having to pay for the bus.

Or, she could just take the N31/32 directly from Far Rockaway to Hemptead for the N40/41 or N15 to Mineola, so you just pay the (approximately) $90 per month instead of $165 for a Zone 3-4 pass, or $82 + $90 for the LIRR to the N31/32.

To everybody: Just one question. I know if you have a monthly pass, you just show it to the conductor and you're good, but what happens if you have a one-way ticket and have to transfer? Does the conductor give you anything that's good for the second train? Also I know the conductor periodically goes around checking tickets, but if you gave in the ticket, how does he know if you paid for the zone you're in? I heard that there's some sort of seat check system or something.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

To everybody: Just one question. I know if you have a monthly pass, you just show it to the conductor and you're good, but what happens if you have a one-way ticket and have to transfer? Does the conductor give you anything that's good for the second train? Also I know the conductor periodically goes around checking tickets, but if you gave in the ticket, how does he know if you paid for the zone you're in? I heard that there's some sort of seat check system or something.
If it;s a train that you will change from to another, the conductor returns the ticket to you, and tells you where to change. Often they will put the ticket under the little clip thing on the seat back.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
If it;s a train that you will change from to another, the conductor returns the ticket to you, and tells you where to change. Often they will put the ticket under the little clip thing on the seat back.
So then, in theory, you could use the ticket over again, correct? Say, somebody could take the West Hempstead Branch over to Lynbrook, say they're transferring to the Far Rockaway Branch, and instead use that ticket for a round-trip.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 PM

28 posts, read 74,054 times
You can not do "via" trips with commutation (weekly, monthly) tickets unless all zones in that trip are covered by that ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
So then, in theory, you could use the ticket over again, correct? Say, somebody could take the West Hempstead Branch over to Lynbrook, say they're transferring to the Far Rockaway Branch, and instead use that ticket for a round-trip.
No, because your ticket will get punched on each train.

(Source: I am a conductor for the LIRR)

Old 12-06-2011, 12:51 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
You're brave to admit that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island