Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times

Advertisements

How would you know the value of a house if it was a spot built cul-de-sac and no others on the street have sold? There is not a comparable street as this street-20 houses-was built on a bigger scale and all has original owners in it (from 1996). Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM

55 posts, read 143,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
How would you know the value of a house if it was a spot built cul-de-sac and no others on the street have sold? There is not a comparable street as this street-20 houses-was built on a bigger scale and all has original owners in it (from 1996). Thanks-
Take the amount that the original owners paid in 1996 and enter it into my appreciation estimator.
Moderator cut: website not allowed

Last edited by Keeper; 08-30-2007 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Quote:
Has the builder built any similar homes, but not in the same town? If so, you can check those out and then adjust for the area. Be very wary of paying above the neighborhood value for a home, even if it is much nicer then those around it. Neighborhoods put caps on home prices. I would be very cautious about the situation you are describing. Remember, a few years from now, the homes won't be new anymore, then they won't be worth any more then the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Remember, a few years from now, the homes won't be new anymore, then they won't be worth any more then the surrounding neighborhood.
...but according to realtor's, prices only go up!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandBubble View Post
...but according to realtor's, prices only go up!
Who are you talking to? It's true that, historically over time, home prices do increase. They do, however, fluctuate in the short term. Housing tends to go in about ten year cycles. We are going to see a downward trend for a couple of years, but not down to the 1990 level. Then they will start rising again, probably over where we are now. Real estate is always a good long term investment. The people who get hurt are those who have to sell and, for whatever reason, can not wait it out.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM

I had trouble with the calculation generator someone posted for me. The block is not brand new (11 yrs old vs. neighboring streets 30 yrs old) but the houses are much bigger. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Who are you talking to? It's true that, historically over time, home prices do increase. They do, however, fluctuate in the short term. Housing tends to go in about ten year cycles. We are going to see a downward trend for a couple of years, but not down to the 1990 level. Then they will start rising again, probably over where we are now. Real estate is always a good long term investment. The people who get hurt are those who have to sell and, for whatever reason, can not wait it out.
I was referring to what you said about new houses after they aren't new anymore; but now that you brought it up, this is not a normal market cycle.

Real estate is not ALWAYS a good investment. House prices have risen far beyond what their fundamental value is because of lax lending standards. Inventories are climbing because the worst borrowers can't even make their first or second payment; so they default and now the lenders are getting stung because they have to buy back the bad paper from wall street and without sufficient capital, they're going bankrupt. The Mortgage Lender Implode-O-Meter - tracking the housing finance breakdown, related to Alt-A and subprime mortgages, lending fraud, predatory lending, housing bubble, mortgage banking, foreclosures, debt, consolidation, lawyers, class-action lawsui Lending standards are tightening and very few buyers can buy a house at the price people are asking. Without the cancerous loans that caused this, most people cannot buy; thus inventories rise. When inventories rise, prices fall; econ 101.

We are in a very bad housing recession right now.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I had trouble with the calculation generator someone posted for me. The block is not brand new (11 yrs old vs. neighboring streets 30 yrs old) but the houses are much bigger. Thanks for all the replies so far.
Do you know what the original owners paid?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM

A downturn, yes. A recession? I don't think so. I don't think either of us can predict the future. I am simply talking about the historical trend. Remember, it was the same conditions back in the 80's that led to the banking crisis and the creation of the Resolution Trust Corporation. This is all just part of the cycle. I've gotta go, but if you guys are still discussing this tommorrow, I'll be glad to join in again. I really don't think its the end of the world. It never is.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:03 PM

It originally sold for $650 in 1996-they are asking $1.5- There has been one on the block on the market for 2 million dollars (give me a break) and it has been sitting for a year. The one that is sitting is a more traditional looking home-the one I am looking at is that centemporary style they built in the 80's-90's-sloped roofs, skylights,mica. We would want it for the location but it would take a lot of money to make it the way we would like it and I don't want way outprice what it is worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island