U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,057,434 times

Advertisements

Watched the 2nd half of it. Sort of interesting, sort of weird. Quick observations/annoyances:
1. Despite the fact that it is generally a beautiful area, they made a huge effort to make it look seedy and beat up. Example: Shots of broken fences, grafitti at the Gilgo tunnel all in perfect focus...overhead shots of the land, ocean, surfers, cops searching blurred and tinted green and black to look ominous. They wanted it to be a crime thriller mystery, I get it. To anyone who knows the area, it was blatant and a little disingenuous. Lots of nifty editing to make it scary.
2. Tried very very very hard to make it an indictment of Craigs List and the "sex trade." Somewhat fair, except some of the blame should go to "the actual killer" and the actual victims.
3. Focused alot on the dysfunctional families of the victims. Suddenly they have all bonded and have become much better parents now that their kids have been killed. Too bad they weren't much when the kids were alive.
4. The driver (last name Pak) of Shannon Gilbert had to be the absolute WORST AND LEAST CREDIBLE witness I've ever seen. He was arrogant, dumb, snide, rambled and his story made no sense. How the police have stopped considering his part in her disappearance is beyond mystifying.
5. Tried on and off to portray Suffolk PD as doing their best yet not accomplishing anything quickly enough and in over their heads. Richard Dormer came off as quite the podunk police chief, sounding like he was reading from the Quantico guide "so you might have a serial killer." Not too impressive. SCPD now are back to believing it's a single killer.

Wondered what other's take was on the show, not so much the cirmes in general.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 AM

233 posts, read 644,783 times
yeah it was weird...

IMO joseph brewer seemed super guilty...

Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
This was on last night?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,057,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
yeah it was weird...

IMO joseph brewer seemed super guilty...
Agreed, and no surprise he's selling that house right now and bolting asap. It's like the Dahmer story. Gilbert is the one who got to the street but didn't get taken seriously enough to survive. Who but a local resident would take the chance of being stopped on Ocean Parkway at odd hours? How could anyone else explain it away? It's completely remote. If a Statie stopped you, what could you say except "I'm on my way home to Oak Beach, officer."

Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,053,008 times
I liked wen Pak had to 'test' the girl to see if she was high, and his test entailed asking her if she saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and when she said yes, he said he confirmed she was ok. Um, what?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
The show was a criminal waste of my time.

I agree with mongoose65's assessment that the production took great pains to make the area look seedy and sinister. Nothing like a little over-sensationalizing things in the name of ratings! Did anyone notice when they mentioned Babylon they said it was 7(?) miles from Oak Beach making it sound much closer than it is when one has to drive out to there.

Shannon's mother and sister were ridiculous. Despite this going on for how long now, the sister states that they 'Called the Long Island Police Department'. The mother made some comment to the effect of how quick one can get from LI into NYC (really? Tell the folks who live in East Hampton that.)

No one has commented on her former driver turned boyfriend -- the one whose 'love' caused her to require a metal implant to reconstruct part of her face! Alex Diaz sat there with his gangbanger thug look wearing his NYY cap and shades during the interview. I found him to be as unpalatable as Pak. Who knows who was in cahoots that night?

I couldn't handle listening to that red-headed room mate speaking. Drove me nuts with the incessant 'you know'.

My son and I both stifled out laughter, out of respect for the deceased, when Megan Waterman's mother stated she was turning her life around after the baby was born. Yeah, becoming a prostitute is certainly a step up out of the white trash gutter.

Not one parent took responsibility for their lack of parental skills. The family from outside of Buffalo( I missed the name of the town) ticked me off as the mother just kept dismissing the daughter's actions as "She's a grown woman."

IMHO there were 2 killers working with one another.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Agreed, and no surprise he's selling that house right now and bolting asap. It's like the Dahmer story. Gilbert is the one who got to the street but didn't get taken seriously enough to survive. Who but a local resident would take the chance of being stopped on Ocean Parkway at odd hours? How could anyone else explain it away? It's completely remote. If a Statie stopped you, what could you say except "I'm on my way home to Oak Beach, officer."
Joseph Brewer, last person to see missing hooker Shannan Gilbert, confident she's still alive - New York Daily News

Quote:
Brewer, a former financial adviser, was questioned by cops and his rented house was searched by police - who then declared he was not a suspect.
Once OBI was gone, I would wager the police rarely ventured down there as there were other places they could be useful. (OK, who's first with the donut comment?)

Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,492,125 times
Quote:
Watched the 2nd half of it. Sort of interesting, sort of weird. Quick observations/annoyances:
1. Despite the fact that it is generally a beautiful area, they made a huge effort to make it look seedy and beat up. Example: Shots of broken fences, grafitti at the Gilgo tunnel all in perfect focus...overhead shots of the land, ocean, surfers, cops searching blurred and tinted green and black to look ominous. They wanted it to be a crime thriller mystery, I get it. To anyone who knows the area, it was blatant and a little disingenuous. Lots of nifty editing to make it scary.
2. Tried very very very hard to make it an indictment of Craigs List and the "sex trade." Somewhat fair, except some of the blame should go to "the actual killer" and the actual victims.
3. Focused alot on the dysfunctional families of the victims. Suddenly they have all bonded and have become much better parents now that their kids have been killed. Too bad they weren't much when the kids were alive.
4. The driver (last name Pak) of Shannon Gilbert had to be the absolute WORST AND LEAST CREDIBLE witness I've ever seen. He was arrogant, dumb, snide, rambled and his story made no sense. How the police have stopped considering his part in her disappearance is beyond mystifying.
5. Tried on and off to portray Suffolk PD as doing their best yet not accomplishing anything quickly enough and in over their heads. Richard Dormer came off as quite the podunk police chief, sounding like he was reading from the Quantico guide "so you might have a serial killer." Not too impressive. SCPD now are back to believing it's a single killer.

Wondered what other's take was on the show, not so much the cirmes in general.
Reference point #2: YA THINK??

Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Quote:
the counter to that is that you rarely see troopers on Ocean Parkway, especially in the evening hours. Additionally, you can always say you're coming from Long Beach and heading to eastern LI or vice versa.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM

3,173 posts, read 5,665,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Reference point #2: YA THINK??
What did they do before Craigslist? They roamed the streets, word of mouth, some put ads in newsday (they still do all these).

Joel Rifkin didn't use craigslist and he managed just fine to kill dozens of prostitutes. I hate when the media and others blame advancements in technology for stuff like this. None of the blame should go towards craigslist. Might as well blame the cell phone carriers too, Verizon & At&t etc, for making communication via text messages and mobile phones easier.

----
on the show, I missed it, forgot it was on. But I find it hard to believe that that Joseph Brewer guy had nothing to do with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or