Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:56 AM

5,264 posts, read 4,704,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe they're talking/ giving advice/opinions from real experiences. Some people don't realized how much better they could live in other places Some post to correct misconceptions and give a real life prospective on a move off the Island.
Yeah but in this case the OP did move off the island and hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,933,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yeah but in this case the OP did move off the island and hated it.
You could give some people 5 million dollars and they won't be happy because it wasn't 10 million.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:53 AM

638 posts, read 1,275,482 times
She moved to Florida, icky-sticky Florida!

OP-
You really need to get your priorities in logistical order!! School and work need to be close to each other, and then your living arrangements need to be close to that! Now-a-days, with all the traffic, lights, and stop signs, things that were 15 away from each other, are now double that, here on LI!!

And why would you wait to start applying for jobs until mid-January?? No better time than the present!!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:08 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,740,696 times
Ridge is fine but not ideal if commuting to the city. Also I hope you like living in the middle of nowhere because the nearest real town with anything of interest within a 10 mile radius is Riverhead.

If I were you Id look mid island around Ronk and even Medford. Fine towns with more shopping & better access to major roads, and you could easily find something for around $1000. Also Ronk is a direct 50 mile trainride straight into Penn with no transfers.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 AM

56 posts, read 130,381 times
My priorities are perfectly in order. No need to be rude.
I NEVER said I would work in the city and live in Ridge.

I'm considering all my options on where to move when I move out of my cousins.
I mentioned Ridge just to see if my friend was right about the price of rentals, and obviously
if I lived there I wouldn't work in the city, I'm not that stupid.

Also, I absolutely love Long Island, I know it's expensive, but as it stands right now,
it's cheaper for me to move there than stay in Florida with crappy apartments in ghetto
areas plus car insurance (figure 1,200 a month) when I can just move into my cousins house
in a very very safe area while living with my family FOR FREE and only pay car insurance. (so
figure maybe 400 a month) All I need to do is find a job.

I've already decided that once I'm ready to move out of my cousin's house I'm going
to go upstate (probably Rochester) where it is cheaper. It doesn't make any sense for
me to stay on the island once I get my NY residency (for college) and save up more money.

Also, I have plenty of reasons to want to come back to the island, so don't try to discourage me.
I have a lot of family out there that raised me until I moved to Florida for my dad, and they aren't
in the best health or have much time left so I want to spend as much time with them as possible.

If you really think Florida is better than living on Long Island, you're wrong.
(at least in my opinion) Yeah, it's more expensive there (but honestly South
Florida is getting more & more expensive each year & isn't too far off from
Long Island) but I hate almost everything about Florida and love almost everything
about New York. In a few years my husband and I are going to start trying to start
a family and I would never want to raise a family here. Northern Florida maybe, but
not South Florida.

To all of you who are actually trying to be helpful instead of telling me (and probably others) to not move to Long Island, thank you for your help.

*sheesh*

Last edited by missingthe516; 12-11-2011 at 04:06 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
She moved to Florida, icky-sticky Florida!

OP-
You really need to get your priorities in logistical order!! School and work need to be close to each other, and then your living arrangements need to be close to that! Now-a-days, with all the traffic, lights, and stop signs, things that were 15 away from each other, are now double that, here on LI!!

And why would you wait to start applying for jobs until mid-January?? No better time than the present!!
While I agree with you on applying sooner than later is typically a better idea, it is not true with the type of work I currently do (restaurants). You can't possibly apply for a restaurant job more than 2 months in advanced and assume that when I get there they'll still need you and you can't expect a restaurant to know if they'll definitely need someone in two months.

Most restaurants are on and off on being busy or slow.

I don't get why people come on here just to be rude to other people.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 AM

20,821 posts, read 28,146,353 times
I don't anyone is being rude I think they are just being realisitc IMO. Good luck to you.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't anyone is being rude I think they are just being realisitc IMO. Good luck to you.

If I didn't have a place to stay for free, or if the rent in South Florida was cheaper, I would agree with them being realistic.

However in my case I will have free housing so I am NOT worried about having to pay for rent right now.

I'm thinking about places to move LATER ON after I've saved up money.

Plus, next October when I turn 22 I will start receiving my trust funds every year on my birthday until I turn 25. So I'll be JUST FINE living with my cousin for a year until I get some of the money on my birthday. Jeez.

I pretty much laid out everything so if they think I'm going to NY with no job and looking to pay for an apartment right away then wow.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,933,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
My cousin lives in Levittown & I will be living with him until my husband and I save up more money. We won't be able to tell how much we want to pay per month until we find jobs and know how much we'll be making and how many hours we'll get. I'd like to be as close to Plainview as possible just because that's where most of my family and friends are but anywhere will be okay. I'll have to guess that $1,500 will have to be our max.

I'd prefer not to live in NYC, Queens, Brooklyn, or Bronx though. I just don't like those areas.

I understand that we will probably be struggling for a while and it makes more sense to wait to move however I have multiple trust funds and one of them was for $130,000 that I got when I turned 20 (the others I won't get until I'm 25, 27, & 50) and I made sure that I couldn't take it until I turn 23 so that I don't waste it and I want to use it to buy a house somewhere in NY (not necessarily Long Island, possibly upstate)

I want to move as soon as possible because I want to go to one of colleges in NY (Florida's education system is horrible) and I don't want to pay out of state so I need to get my residency before applying.
Quote:

If I didn't have a place to stay for free, or if the rent in South Florida was cheaper, I would agree with them being realistic.

However in my case I will have free housing so I am NOT worried about having to pay for rent right now.

I'm thinking about places to move LATER ON after I've saved up money.

Plus, next October when I turn 22 I will start receiving my trust funds every year on my birthday until I turn 25. So I'll be JUST FINE living with my cousin for a year until I get some of the money on my birthday. Jeez.

I pretty much laid out everything so if they think I'm going to NY with no job and looking to pay for an apartment right away then wow.
Quote:
I don't care if people disagree with me.
I care when I lay out plain and simple what is going on and they seem to misread what I say.

This move is for the better because if we stay in South Florida we will probably get evicted for not being able to pay rent on time. This move will save us.
And I didn't ask if anyone thinks its a bad decision to move, I asked for advice on something entirely different.
Maybe they're misreading what you say because your story keeps changing

Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM

My story hasn't changed. I forgot the years that I get the money because I changed them multiple times. Other than that, everything has been consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island