Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
huh???

Don't worry he never makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Anyone getting back on topic?
yes the real estate agent needs these to be built.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
yes the real state agent needs these to be built.

Not this one

Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 PM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
In case anyone is wondering how you cram 190 homes onto 18 acres of a pristine historic site, drawings of the 4 story monstrosity that is to be the "Residences at Oheka" are up on the architects' site:

Beatty, Harvey, Coco Architects, LLP (click Portfolio -> On the Boards -> Residences at Oheka)

When Mr. Melius originally floated this idea to Cold Spring Hills residents years ago, he pitched a "quaint French village at the foothills of Oheka." Accompanying the literature were images of real medieval villages with cobbled streets and fountained squares. That Disneyesque idea appears to have been abandoned in favor of hideous tall new-construction style buildings. This is completely out of place on the North Shore - especially on an historic site. It will dwarf the historic chateau and become the dominant feature of the property. Otto and Addie Kahn must be rolling in their graves.

The Suffolk County Planning Commission's Staff Report can be found here:

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Porta...cmtg020112.pdf

According to the proposal the development calls for:

262 subterranean parking spaces
130 surface spaces
74 spaces "built into a hillside" = 466 parking spaces!
No affordable housing (which is illegal in ToH)

Thankfully, the Planning Commission seems to recognize that the size of this project raises concern about the burden it will place on Jericho Tpk, local wetlands, and the danger it poses to mature growth trees and other environmental features. Based on the amounts Melius has been donating to ToH and Suffolk officials, I don't think this will matter much.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:32 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
That development looks similar to these condos in Garden City:
111 Cherry Valley Avenue, Garden City NY | MLS# 2441393 - Trulia
100 Hilton Unit M25 Garden City NY | Prudential Douglas Elliman (http://www.elliman.com/long-island/100-hilton-unit-m25-garden-city-efoetts - broken link)

Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
In case anyone is wondering how you cram 190 homes onto 18 acres of a pristine historic site, drawings of the 4 story monstrosity that is to be the "Residences at Oheka" are up on the architects' site:

Beatty, Harvey, Coco Architects, LLP (click Portfolio -> On the Boards -> Residences at Oheka)

When Mr. Melius originally floated this idea to Cold Spring Hills residents years ago, he pitched a "quaint French village at the foothills of Oheka." Accompanying the literature were images of real medieval villages with cobbled streets and fountained squares. That Disneyesque idea appears to have been abandoned in favor of hideous tall new-construction style buildings. This is completely out of place on the North Shore - especially on an historic site. It will dwarf the historic chateau and become the dominant feature of the property. Otto and Addie Kahn must be rolling in their graves.

130 surface spaces

Thankfully, the Planning Commission seems to recognize that the size of this project raises concern about the burden it will place on Jericho Tpk, local wetlands, and the danger it poses to mature growth trees and other environmental features. Based on the amounts Melius has been donating to ToH and Suffolk officials, I don't think this will matter much.
Thanks for posting the link re the SCPlanning Commission. ToH usually makes a ruckus over three story high buildings - these are FOUR stories. Have to agree with you, that's definitely not the appropriate location for it!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:

130 surface spaces

This don"t mean anything it will get rejected then it will be scaled down
and get built anyway thats the way long island works.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:

130 surface spaces
In any case, I like how they said that there are "bus routes" on Jericho Turnpike. The last time I checked, the N79 was only one route (and it runs every hour, so that's a poor excuse for traffic mitigation).

And I wonder how they'll work out the "Affordable Housing" part of the deal.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
In any case, I like how they said that there are "bus routes" on Jericho Turnpike. The last time I checked, the N79 was only one route (and it runs every hour, so that's a poor excuse for traffic mitigation).

Bulldoze trees and drop a house like they always do.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 AM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks for posting the link re the SCPlanning Commission. ToH usually makes a ruckus over three story high buildings - these are FOUR stories. Have to agree with you, that's definitely not the appropriate location for it!
In times passed I couldn't imagine this going through as-is, but nothing surprises me these days.

Some of my neighbors are trying to look on the bright side of this, with the thinking that the extremely close proximity to these new multimillion dollar residences will significantly drive our home values up. I'm skeptical about this. As a local realtor, I'm curious about your perspective in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

My wife and I had a good laugh over the "bus routes" too. People willing to spend $2m on a one bedroom condo are surely likely to walk to Jericho Tpk. to take the bus to run errands. The "convenient" .25 mile walk to the LIRR (up and down some very steep hills and across the golf course) also seems silly.

The report states that they can get around the 20% affordable housing by donating 20% of the budget to the "housing fund" - to develop affordable housing elsewhere (likely dumped in Huntington Station). My understanding of the current law was that this was illegal and that all new affordable housing developments had to be spread throughout the town, not clustered in one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island