Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
he lives in selden, where even the water doesn't want to go.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
.. don't you live on Long Island as well?
i can swim to ct.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Normally i support high density Developments , but that's a horrible site...

Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 AM

325 posts, read 737,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
My question to those that know the area, gossip, and local politics are:
What are the odds that this will really happen? This project seems very out of place for Huntington.
Odds are pretty high that something will be developed there. Whether it will be 190 units in 2 4-story buildings, or something smaller remains to be seen. Everyone that I've spoken with who've seen the plans are appalled by them. One of the conditions of the CSH Civic Association has for support of the project is that the developer landscape the property to hide the buildings from the view of existing homes. I'm not sure how you hide 4 story buildings (really 5 stories if you look at the pitch of the roof) and a parking garage with landscaping. Yes, it's very out-of-place for Huntington, so hopefully, as more people become aware of the project, they will oppose it.

Quote:
While people are talking about it impacting traffic on Jericho Turnpike, will it also impact traffic on the local streets?
Maybe, but probably only on East Gate Drive. The development will be accessible via that street and there will be rush hour "restrictions" in place (I imagine this will be a no-turn onto East Gate sign during certain hours. Country Club members don't really "cut through" the neighborhood that often, so I think residents would probably follow a similar pattern. That said, I do not want to see East Gate transformed into a busy thoroughfare.

Quote:
If it does, is it a sign of things to come in Huntington?
Probably. Be aware that there is another proposed development right across Jericho Tpk. from West Gate Drive ("Kennsington Estates" mentioned earlier in this thread). The Town Board is still looking to redevelop Huntington Station with tall buildings and dense housing despite overwhelming community opposition. It's strange times. The Board seems oddly fixated on high density development lately despite community opposition and the opinions of its own planning and environmental offices. It seems the Town is for sale to the highest bidder these days.

Quote:
Any other advice or thoughts on living Cold Spring Hills?
It's a great place to live and I imagine it will continue to be despite this greedy plan. If you love the house, I say go for it. Although, as you mentioned, be prepared for the character to change dramatically, especially if the house has views of the southern facade of Oheka. Be prepared to be within ear and eyeshot of a massive construction site for a year or more.

As I mentioned earlier buying in CS Hills might be a good investment as there's speculation that the development will drive up house prices in the area. I'm skeptical about this though. I also think the developers are severely overestimating the value of these apartments. I'm not sure there's a market for a luxury golf apartment community in Western Suffolk, at least not at these prices, not when you can get a beautiful 5 bedroom house on a nice piece of property plus a country club membership for the same price. This kind of thing works in South Carolina or Florida (where a similar condo would probably cost $200k), but not here. As for selling the "appeal of living on a Gold Coast Estate," the development is going to destroy all ambiance of the property. Yes, the chateau, gardens, and the golf course will still be there, but there will be overshadowed by towering apartment buildings (not to mention the 400 or so new golfers the country club will somehow have to absorb). The course currently benefits from the light use customary to private clubs. With all these new members, be prepared to have a lot more people in your backyard during golf season.

My wife and I have been discussing downsizing to Huntington Bay once our youngest is off to college. This development might make that happen sooner than later. It's a shame.

Last edited by h-tonian; 03-03-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

As far as the affordable housing goes, the problem is that Huntington Station is likely to be the only community that's willing to accept the affordable housing, unless they put it in a very isolated section of another village/hamlet.
Station residents are actually getting a little tired of being the dumping ground for everything the wealthier parts of the town do not want. The State Supreme Court actually ruled more about 25 years ago that Huntington cannot cluster "affordable" housing into only one part of town. This has been ignored. Local online news sites like Huntingtonian and Village Tattler have provided forums for these residents to voice their grievances.

If Oheka does get to build/donate the 20%, the low to no property tax yield "affordable" housing will likely be in SD #3, whereas the high tax yield luxury condos will be in SD #13. I'd be livid if I lived in #3. I can tell you right now though, that's probably what will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
I've been reading a lot about the Avalon Bay development in Huntington Station and it's "Transit Oriented District" zoning as well as the "Clustered Open Space Zoning" that the Oheka project is using. I can't seem to find much info about these zonings beyond what's in newspapers. Can someone point me to further info? The open space zoning is especially confusing to me? Any thoughts on this?
Short answers (IMHO):

Transit Oriented District (otherwise known as Avalon Bay) = a bizarre idea that people who work in the city will want to commute an 2 hours daily to Huntington to live in an apartment in a bad neighborhood that has nothing to offer within walking distance. There's a lot of info on it on these boards and in Tattler. I can DM you if you need more.

Clustered Open Space Zoning = (IMHO) a noble idea that started as a way to preserve open space from development that has turned into an absolute scam in the Oheka case. Basically, the Country Club gets to cash out the value of their property (as if they sold it) but they still get to keep 98% of it!!! The open space gets preserved exclusively for the use of club members. You and I still can't golf there. So the public has to sit in more traffic look at ugly 4 story buildings (which will be visible for MILES) but cannot use the property that was preserved in their interest. It has been my position that the CSCC has never really wanted to sell their course, just to develop part of it into condos. They have been trying for 30+ years to do this and are only now getting their way.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM

75 posts, read 142,675 times
Thanks for all the info. Yes, the house backs onto the south facade of Oheka, which right now is a very beautiful view. For this reason, I think we're going to pass on the house, which is a shame because it's perfect and exactly what we're looking for

Onto more house hunting this weekend!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 PM

You're welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you're giving up on the house (I think I know which one you're talking about and it's beautiful!). I hope you'll still consider the neighborhood. Except for homes near East Gate and within eyeshot of these buildings, I think the character of the neighborhood won't change much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island