Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM

20,818 posts, read 28,141,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
That's my favorite movie and one of my favorite scenes.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,794,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
That's my favorite movie and one of my favorite scenes.
I live my life with quotes from this movie!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:46 PM

20,818 posts, read 28,141,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
I live my life with quotes from this movie!
My husband's favorite line that he says to me when he leaves for work is
"don't paint anymore religious pictures please"

Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,459,839 times
Animal Birth Control is ineffective and prohibitively expensive. I'm sure you want the rest of us to pay for it too.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,975,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
At least your response was partially sensible.
As much as I abhor hunting, hunting for sport or trophies are indeed jack**es. For that comment I thank you.

I have a very close Native American friend. I get much of my information from her. I will delve more closely into what you said because I have actually never heard of that and I've done quite a bit of studies into the various tribes.

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

“The Earth does not belong to man; Man belongs to the Earth. This we know. All things are connected like the blood which unites one family. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”—Chief Seattle
Ilona I get where you are coming from. I have a long history with eco friendly, animal friendly and human friendly causes. My beef is with propaganda and hyperbole on both sides. It is possible to love animals and still kill them. Not all hunters "enjoy" killing (of course some do but they are sociopaths) but they do feel a sense of accomplishment at procureing their own food in a traditional and natural way, particularly if using a bow. Guns are for pansies and for protection, not killing a deer. Hunting is not destorying the earth. Commercial meat production and mass farming are way worse. Condo development does less to destroy habitats than clearing land for corn farming for ethanol production. Humans are arrogant dolts in general, like bulls in a china shop making a mess of the planet. A hunter taking a deer or turkey each season is not even remotely part of the problem. When I lived in Maine I wondered why they cut down a 50 ft tree to get the top for a xmas tree. I thought it wasteful. I learned taking the baby tree was wasteful, stopping it's growth and getting nothing for it. A large tree would soon die, provides lots of wood PLUS a xmas tree from the top and frees resources for that young tree to prosper. They said the same about taking an older buck. Alleviated overcrowding, allowing the does and fawns to survive on the limited resources through the winter. The hunters I knew (men and women) were dead serious about what they killed and about how the forest was treated. Not everything is as it seems.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,579,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I will stick up for animals until the day I die. If no one likes it they can ignore my posts. Just like I'm free to ignore the nasty comments I read on message boards like this one. But I choose not to. Why? Because if I ignore them, then I will feel as though I have given up the battle. And this is something I will never do.

I realize perfectly well that Hunting is legal. That does not mean I have to agree with it. There are, I'm sure, many laws that not everyone agrees with.

I do however resent the excuses that Hunters use. I resent the fact that not one single Hunter will even entertain the thought that they enjoy killing (it's apparent they do). I can barely kill an insect without feeling guilty and I could never take a life. Animal Welfare people have brought various other options to the table (birth control for one thing) and yet Hunters refuse to even entertain the thought that perhaps there is another method of population control. Why? Because It's all about the money of course. Their response is that they 'care about wildlife and that's why it's necessary to kill'. That makes little to no sense at all!

And most of all, I resent Hunters that feel it necessary to boast and carry on about their 'kill' to someone who is clearly uncomfortable hearing about it. I worked with someone like that and he went out of his way to show me his stuffed and mounted 'trophies'. So far every single Hunter I have encountered have been completely and totally insensitive, uncaring and cruel in their comments. I know people who can't stand the sight of blood for instance. I would never cut myself just to upset them!

Are my panties in a bunch? When it comes to animals - you better believe it! Do I care what any of you think or say no matter how mean, nasty, cold hearted and sarcastic? Not in the least. My crusade continues!
All the hunters I know LOVE IT. Oh, and we feel the same about the leaf lickers and bunny humpers. We don't care What we do is legal and we've been doing it for thousands of years. If we didn't eat meat we wouldn't have a large cranium. You can thank your ancestors.

Did you ever think that maybe the people you interact with wouldn't go over overboard with actions if you didn't too? If I had to listen to some "crusader" I'd go out of my way to do exactly what you say makes you so "uncomfortable".

Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Animal Birth Control is ineffective and prohibitively expensive. I'm sure you want the rest of us to pay for it too.
Socialized medicine for wildlife.

I would like to see those who support such measures spend their own time and money out in the woods feeding BC to animals or catching them, transporting them to a wildlife vet, spaying/neutering them, rehabbing them and then releasing them -- all while paying all costs involved.

Let them put their money where their mouth is.

Conversely, Hunters are certainly helping the state.

White-tailed Deer - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Quote:
Each year, more than 500,000 deer hunters contribute nearly $690 million to New York State's economy through hunting related expenses, and through license purchases and federal excise taxes hunters generate over $35 million to support management activities of NYSDEC. Hunters take some 220,000 deer annually, filling freezers with roughly 10.8 million pounds of high quality local venison, and due largely to efforts of more than 3,000 volunteer Sportsman Education instructors, hunters continue to demonstrate exceptional safety records.
Quote:
Abundant deer populations can negatively affect plant communities and the other wildlife dependent on those communities. Deer can also cause problems for farmers, tree growers and homeowners and are a frequent hazard for motorists. Management of deer in New York seeks to maximize the benefits of this important resource while being mindful of the human and ecological concerns associated with abundant deer populations.

IlonaG will probably label NYSDEC as propagandists or claim that the State has some sort of inhumane agenda.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,579,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Socialized medicine for wildlife.

I would like to see those who support such measures spend their own time and money out in the woods feeding BC to animals or catching them, transporting them to a wildlife vet, spaying/neutering them, rehabbing them and then releasing them -- all while paying all costs involved.

Let them put their money where their mouth is.

Conversely, Hunters are certainly helping the state.

White-tailed Deer - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

IlonaG will probably label NYSDEC as propagandists or claim that the State has some sort of inhumane agenda.
Without the sale of hunting licenses these agencies would be broke. People don't understand how that works, as in, where the money comes from.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,150,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Ilona I get where you are coming from. I have a long history with eco friendly, animal friendly and human friendly causes. My beef is with propaganda and hyperbole on both sides. It is possible to love animals and still kill them. Not all hunters "enjoy" killing (of course some do but they are sociopaths) but they do feel a sense of accomplishment at procureing their own food in a traditional and natural way, particularly if using a bow. Guns are for pansies and for protection, not killing a deer. Hunting is not destorying the earth. Commercial meat production and mass farming are way worse. Condo development does less to destroy habitats than clearing land for corn farming for ethanol production. Humans are arrogant dolts in general, like bulls in a china shop making a mess of the planet. A hunter taking a deer or turkey each season is not even remotely part of the problem. When I lived in Maine I wondered why they cut down a 50 ft tree to get the top for a xmas tree. I thought it wasteful. I learned taking the baby tree was wasteful, stopping it's growth and getting nothing for it. A large tree would soon die, provides lots of wood PLUS a xmas tree from the top and frees resources for that young tree to prosper. They said the same about taking an older buck. Alleviated overcrowding, allowing the does and fawns to survive on the limited resources through the winter. The hunters I knew (men and women) were dead serious about what they killed and about how the forest was treated. Not everything is as it seems.
Finally a somewhat sensible response. I may not agree with everything you say, however, you stated your feelings in a nice way. Without resorting to mean & nasty comments. Nor do you presume to 'know' me.
I appreciate that.
And yes - humans ARE arrogant

Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,150,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Without the sale of hunting licenses these agencies would be broke. People don't understand how that works, as in, where the money comes from.
Another argument I've been hearing for years and years. I disagree. This is one of the many excuses that I'm tired of hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island