Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,150,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Wow, 29 pages of this.

Deer live in perimeter areas. The best way to keep them from overpopulating is to not create so many perimeters--which is what happens every time someone comes in and bulldozes a patch of land and leaves the surrounding forest intact.

Note how I said "the best way." That is not the simplest or easiest way, nor is it necessarily the most realistic way when humans have bred like rats to the tune of 7 billion+ on the planet.

That said, I think it is a bit twisted to take joy in killing an animal.

No, I do not eat animals. No, I have not bought anything leather since 2007.

It's amazing to me how we humans create these so-called problems and then figure the only way to deal with things is by KILLING. Oh yes I forget - 'we are doing the deer a favor by murdering them'. Ridiculous. None of the Hunter's arguments make an ounce of sense to me.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,675,146 times
I bet for all your granola bar pontifications, I could throw the raw hind quarter of a horse on your plate and you'd inhale it.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:46 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,720,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post

It's amazing to me how we humans create these so-called problems and then figure the only way to deal with things is by KILLING. Oh yes I forget - 'we are doing the deer a favor by murdering them'. Ridiculous. None of the Hunter's arguments make an ounce of sense to me.
I like how humans are being compared to rats.. I mean, seriously?
Anyone that knows anything about human population growth knows that it's going to taper off mid-century, and eventually start declining.

Humans are going to cure cancer and other diseases and potentially stop the massive asteroid (or other natural disaster) that would have otherwise sent every species of animals into extinction. I asked you earlier, what makes you think that humans are an unnatural part of nature?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I like how humans are being compared to rats.. I mean, seriously?
Anyone that knows anything about human population growth knows that it's going to taper off mid-century, and eventually start declining.

Humans are going to cure cancer and other diseases and potentially stop the massive asteroid (or other natural disaster) that would have otherwise sent every species of animals into extinction. I asked you earlier, what makes you think that humans are an unnatural part of nature?
Because PETA.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,576,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
what makes you think that humans are an unnatural part of nature?
I take it you've never watched an episode of Jersey Shore.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I take it you've never watched an episode of Jersey Shore.
Totally off topic but anyone who knows me won't even blink an eye.

I like how you give your almost exact address under your name...all we have to do is guess the town/hamlet/village/state/province/world/galaxy/solar system.

Ocean ave in Ronkonkoma?
Ocean ave in Wyoming?
Ocean ave in Bermuda?
Ocean ave in South Asia?

hmph, this could take me a while

Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Totally off topic but anyone who knows me won't even blink an eye.

I like how you give your almost exact address under your name...all we have to do is guess the town/hamlet/village/state/province/world/galaxy/solar system.

Ocean ave in Ronkonkoma?
Ocean ave in Wyoming?
Ocean ave in Bermuda?
Ocean ave in South Asia?

hmph, this could take me a while
112 Ocean Ave is the Amityville Horror house. As for RedJacket -- WI.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM

194 posts, read 442,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
112 Ocean Ave is the Amityville Horror house. As for RedJacket -- WI.
Remaining off topic -- very perceptive OBH. However, I believe they have since changed the house number to 108 (as if this would keep anyone from figuring out which house it is).

Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Wow, 29 pages of this.

Deer live in perimeter areas. The best way to keep them from overpopulating is to not create so many perimeters--which is what happens every time someone comes in and bulldozes a patch of land and leaves the surrounding forest intact.

Note how I said "the best way." That is not the simplest or easiest way, nor is it necessarily the most realistic way when humans have bred like rats to the tune of 7 billion+ on the planet.

That said, I think it is a bit twisted to take joy in killing an animal.

No, I do not eat animals. No, I have not bought anything leather since 2007.
Rats reach sexual maturity at 5 weeks, go into heat every 4-5 days, have an average gestation period of 21-23 days and produce 10-12 babies per litter. They are weaned within 4-5 weeks of birth.

Your rat/human reproduction analogy isn't working.

While we're on the topic of rodents -- let's visit the nutria.

Damage - Nutria.com

Quote:
Vegetative damage caused by nutria has been documented in at least 11 Coastal Wetlands Planning Protection and Restoration Act (CWPPRA) project sites in the Barataria-Terrebonne Basins. The estimate of 80,000 acres of marsh damaged was conservative because only the worse (most obvious) can be detected from aerial surveys. The number of acres being impacted was certainly higher. Since the introduction of the Coastwide Nutria Control Program, the number of impacted acres has dropped to 6,296acres. When vegetation is removed from the surface of the marsh, as a result of over grazing by nutria, the very fragile organic soils are exposed to erosion through tidal action. If damaged areas do not revegetate quickly, they will become open water as tidal scour removes soil and thus lowers elevation. Frequently the plant's root systems are also damaged, making recovery through vegetative regeneration very slow.

The little varmints are doing to the aquatic environment what the deer is doing to wooded and suburban areas.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Remaining off topic -- very perceptive OBH. However, I believe they have since changed the house number to 108 (as if this would keep anyone from figuring out which house it is).
Yes, it was. Additionally, more recent owners made a few cosmetic changes to the house.

The deer are completely befuddled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.