Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,150,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Oh I am sorry -- I forgot that we are tertiary consumers as opposed to Quaternary (carnivores.) My bad. We're 2nd down the food chain in terms of heterotrophs.

By virtue of your herbivorous ways, you have personally demoted yourself to a primary consumer -- a full two links below us tertiary -- at least you're still a heterotroph.
By the way, Food Chain is pretty much a misnomer. Allow me to reiterate.
It's actually way more complex - more like a web.
You can't really use a pyramid in describing a food chain (kudos to you for finding the one pyramid based diagram).
And in either case "Consumers" include ANIMALS AND HUMAN.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
How have humans affected the food chain? When we spray pesticides, we put the food chain in danger. By breaking one link on the chain means all of the organisms above that link are in threat of extinction (like the domino effect). By hunting animals nearly to extinction, everything above the animal in the food chain is put in danger. A 'chain reaction' in the food chain can be perilous! Since the food chain provides energy that all living things must have in order to survive, it is imperitive that we protect it.

Can any of you finally get it now? We are NOT at the top of ANY food chain. Never can be, never will be. You are all somehow confusing a food chain with who you think has more power.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,150,728 times
Thank you - but the only ignorance I see here is people who know nothing about science and evolution and yet continue to believe that we are the all mighty human who can kill, torture, abuse and mistreat animals.

The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult.
So in this case - you are the one is 'wrong'. We may disagree about hunting, but you are blissfully misinformed about evolution and the food web.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,740,696 times
Quote:
Thank you - but the only ignorance I see here is people who know nothing about science and evolution and yet continue to believe that we are the all mighty human who can kill, torture, abuse and mistreat animals.
So you are a scientist now as well?

Here is a simple argument. We ARE at the top of the food chain because humans do not eat humans. That is what we call cannibalism - which I beleive is heavily frowned upon, no?

I do not need to know a blessed thing about evolution OR the "food web" to have common sense and follow simple logic - Which seems to be what you lack.

We disagree on hunting? I have never hunted a day in my life, or read even 1 bit of information on or about it. So I don't know where you are getting that one from.

Again - my views are based on pure simple logic.

and for my last trick...which our fellow CD member K4 can confirm - this is not a chat forum.

If you would like to discuss/obsess over hunting and animal rights - it is best if you find another forum that caters to this topic. This has absolutely nothing to do with Long Island for the past 10 pages at least.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Quote:
By the way, Food Chain is pretty much a misnomer. Allow me to reiterate.
It's actually way more complex - more like a web.
You can't really use a pyramid in describing a food chain (kudos to you for finding the one pyramid based diagram).
And in either case "Consumers" include ANIMALS AND HUMAN.
Urban dweller who opts to eat the daisies yet feels the compulsion to tell everyone else what they should or shouldn't do or that they are wrong...You can not deny that the human animal, since the beginning of it's time here on the planet, fed on both plants AND animals.

Humans are animals. Just as a wolf would not thing twice about lunging at you and sinking his teeth into your throat, I have no problems with sinking mine into a tender steak, grilled rare; tuna or steer -- no objection.

Food webs take what I've written about levels of consumer into account and demonstrate their interaction. Quarternary, tertiary, secondary, primaryIlonas, and then the autotrophs. If you could produce your own food without intruding on other living organisms, then you might have a leg to stand on. As it is, you're eating poor, defenseless vegetables and grains which could be feeding bunnies and deer instead.

We all realize it's a web, however most webs are too complex to post on the board. Do we stick with the land based or venture out and include marine as well? This forum does not allow for full appreciation of the complexities involved.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I have never told anyone not to eat meat. But this 'Caveman" Attitude is just plain silly. We have evolved enough to not have to kill for our food. More arrogance. Nor does Genetics have anything to do with it. Unless you are referring to 'Hunter Syndrome' which is essentially a Genetic disorder that occurs when an enzyme your body needs is either missing or malfunctioning and eventually causes permanent, progressive damage affecting appearance, mental development, organ function and physical abilities.

Oh wait -- maybe that does explain it.

Please explain to me how omnivorous humans can sit down to a turkey dinner which hasn't been killed?

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 01-09-2012 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
The DEC is opening the grumman property in Calverton (fenced in, mind you) to deer hunting. Is this being kept quiet or does no one care? Read the story here.
Riverhead to allow deer hunt at EPCAL during special shotgun season in January

BTW -- today was opening day.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,995 times
Quote:
The following food chain is specifically for our resident Zombie expert, HotKarl:
Crap I forgot about the Zeds.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,995 times
Quote:
Unless you are referring to 'Hunter Syndrome' which is essentially a Genetic disorder that occurs when an enzyme your body needs is either missing or malfunctioning and eventually causes permanent, progressive damage affecting appearance, mental development, organ function and physical abilities.

Oh wait -- maybe that does explain it.
So for those that are lactose intolerant, are we to consider humans to not rely on milk, a vital ingredient for both children and adults?

Photosensitive people? That damn sun needs to go.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,987,931 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how omnivorous humans can sit down to a turkey dinner which hasn't been killed?

If this don"t get ohbeehave fined points or suspended then this board is a joke because i have been booth for alot less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island