Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Jump in a pool of sharks and see how long your on top
Drain that same pool and see who is laughing...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Jump in a pool of sharks and see how long your on top

Fonzie jumps the shark - YouTube

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
If this don"t get ohbeehave fined points or suspended then this board is a joke because i have been booth for alot less.
Really. I saw the unedited version. Mean, mean, mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
There is a difference between off topic and completely misplaced.

This site is City Data - subforum is Long Island. Not animal rights/crazy animal rights extremist lady yells at everybody forum

It was on topic for a few pages - this board is a joke because the mods just love liberals and pick and choose what they consider innappropriate. Go ahead, give me an infraction... It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Oh wait...they will just delete my posts as usual.
Right. And if you look at other forums, they have a conspiracy theory that CD is run by Stormfront. There's no pleasing everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Aww you poor victim of the liberal establishment. That's hysterical. The veggie lady made one post about hunting and got attacked for 4 pages. the negative to positive ratio is about 10 to 1 against her despite Yzette and (gulp..) Autoracer trying to help her out. almost every thread on here gets hijacked in one form or another. The ones who have to attack every post by the animal lover are just as off topic and mean as the animal person is sanctimonious. Science wise, she more or less kicked ass but as Walter would say you can't fight those "ad hominem" attacks.
There has been precious little by way of scientific discussion here by those on the attack, and a whole lot of lay-person gibberish that would get them laughed right out of a lab if most scientists weren't so patient and eager to share their knowledge and clarify things for those who truly don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
As for cures- We have essentially cured/eradicated dozens of diseases--such as smallpox, measles and polio--to name a few.
^^^Like this. Repeating such silliness does not make it true.

All recent news, the oldest from December 2, 2011.

[URL="http://blogs.webmd.com/childrens-health/2011/12/welcome-back-measles.html"]Welcome Back, Measles « Your Children's Health[/URL]

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15999492"]WHO Issues Europe Measles Warning[/URL] - 36,000 cases from January to October, 2011

[URL="http://www.citypress.co.za/SouthAfrica/News/Measles-spread-as-parents-deliberately-infect-children-20120109"]Measles spread as parents deliberately infect children | City Press[/URL]

[URL="http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/292988-glasgow-schoolchildren-offered-mmr-vaccine-as-measles-cases-rise-across-europe/"]Glasgow schoolchildren offered MMR vaccine as measles cases rise across Europe | Glasgow and West | STV News[/URL]

More recent news:

[URL="http://www.dawn.com/2011/12/31/smallpox-claims-300-lives-in-karachi.html"]Smallpox Claims 300 Lives in Karachi[/URL]

[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/8986211/Hundreds-of-frontline-health-workers-vaccinated-against-smallpox.html"]Hundreds of Frontline Health Workers Vaccinated Against Smallpox[/URL] - You know, because it's no longer a threat.

[URL="http://www.brecorder.com/general-news/single/599/172/1140714/"]76 Cases of Polio Reported in Khyber, Pakistan[/URL]

[URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/02/india-winning-war-against-polio"]India Winning War Against Polio[/URL] -- Hmm, yeah. A current war.

Peq, the least you could do is run a Google news search.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: links

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 AM

One correction to the above post: The 300 cases of smallpox was from an archive. My bad. Smallpox remains the exception, in that it's not found in the natural environment. It still exists, though, and is considered a potential weapon of germ warfare.

But the rest is all accurate.

BTW, whooping cough is making a resurgence. There have even been cases on Long Island.

[url=http://www.smithtownradio.com/2012/01/10/0104/another-case-of-whooping-cough-in-commack/]Another Case of “Whooping Cough” in Commack - Smithtown Radio - News, Weather, Traffic & Music[/url]

Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
There has been precious little by way of scientific discussion here by those on the attack, and a whole lot of lay-person gibberish that would get them laughed right out of a lab if most scientists weren't so patient and eager to share their knowledge and clarify things for those who truly don't understand.

^^^Like this. Repeating such silliness does not make it true.
Look, it's obvious neither of us are scientists...so I won't try to play one. Someone with such vast knowledge of this subject would have known smallpox was completely eradicated. So I'll take it we are in the same boat.

You are taking my post out of context. You could have at least quoted the entire paragraph--instead of one little snippet you wanted to attack. Here it is:

Quote:
As for cures- We have essentially cured/eradicated dozens of diseases--such as smallpox, measles and polio--to name a few. Besides a few Amish groups and Alex Jones die-hards that think the gov't is poisoning them, no one in the US gets polio or measles. Globally is another issue.
I stand by that. 99.9999% of the population in the US is safe from these once-widespread diseases. The only reason we still have people getting it is the paranoid holdouts I mentioned earlier, and the fact that we don't have a worldwide vaccination program. We've made great advancements over the last few centuries, and we will eventually cure things cancer (which will benefit animals as well). That was the point I was trying to make...oh, and that it's silly to put humans on the same level as RATS!

Here's some reading that will back up my claims:

Ignoring Friction: Top Ten Medical Advancements of the 20th Century
1900-2000
#1: Eradication of smallpox and vaccines for various diseases (polio, diptheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, flu, Hep. A & B)
#2: The development of antibiotics.
#3: Advances in blood typing, banking, and transfusion.
#4: Advances in cancer treatment.
#5: Development of immunosuppressive drugs and tissue typing.
#6: Advancements in heart surgery.
#7: Development of medical insulin for diabetics
#8: Development and use of X-Rays
#9: Development of vitamin supplements
#10: Placebo controlled, randomized, blinded clinical trials

Genome to Hormones: The Top 10 Medical Advances of the Decade - ABC News

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-10-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: 99.9999%, 1 in a Million and RATS

Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
So you are a scientist now as well?

Here is a simple argument. We ARE at the top of the food chain because humans do not eat humans. That is what we call cannibalism - which I beleive is heavily frowned upon, no?

I do not need to know a blessed thing about evolution OR the "food web" to have common sense and follow simple logic - Which seems to be what you lack.

We disagree on hunting? I have never hunted a day in my life, or read even 1 bit of information on or about it. So I don't know where you are getting that one from.

Again - my views are based on pure simple logic.

and for my last trick...which our fellow CD member K4 can confirm - this is not a chat forum.

If you would like to discuss/obsess over hunting and animal rights - it is best if you find another forum that caters to this topic. This has absolutely nothing to do with Long Island for the past 10 pages at least.
hmm let's see...you refuse to accept scientific proof and evidence? I see. I suppose you believe in Creationism and not Evolution. That makes sense.
And no...we are NOT at the 'top of the food chain'. Thought I already proved that.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
hmm let's see...you refuse to accept scientific proof and evidence? I see. I suppose you believe in Creationism and not Evolution. That makes sense.
And no...we are NOT at the 'top of the food chain'. Thought I already proved that.
You did?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Drain that same pool and see who is laughing...
I don't believe you'd live long enough to drain that pool.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You did?
For those on this board who can actually read AND comprehend, yes I did.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Look, it's obvious neither of us are scientists...so I won't try to play one.
And it's obvious that some of us have a lot more exposure to science than others.

Quote:
I stand by that. 99.9999% of the population in the US is safe from these once-widespread diseases.
Actually, no, it's not. That is why smallpox is considered a potential weapon for terrorists.

Quote:
oh, and that it's silly to put humans on the same level as RATS!
What is silly is harping on a sarcastic metaphor.

However, you can go on with your opinions about how humanity has "cured" widespread diseases all you like. DM me when they "cure" cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes, three big diseases humanity has managed to foist upon itself. Same goes for HIV. Until then, I'm afraid I need to concentrate on the paying work. You should thank me, really. I normally charge a nice piece of change for explaining what I've explained in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island