U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2011, 02:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,515,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Geez..people they are just ANIMALS.

As I have explained to my fat plump cat...

she is nothing more than a living MRE when disaster strikes.
You see, that is the problem with attitudes such as this.
Once people stop thinking of sentient beings as 'just ANIMALS' then these creatures we share this planet with can be treated humanely and with some level of respect.
As far as my cats?? They are certainly more than "JUST ANIMALS" - they are members of my family.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,515,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You've obviously never encountered a deer while driving. They are quick and slow at the same time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Wrong again. I've encountered them many times.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,198,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
You see, that is the problem with attitudes such as this.
Once people stop thinking of sentient beings as 'just ANIMALS' then these creatures we share this planet with can be treated humanely and with some level of respect.
As far as my cats?? They are certainly more than "JUST ANIMALS" - they are members of my family.
No..they are simply captive animals you are holding for your own self pleasure.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:17 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,043,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Wrong again. I've encountered them many times.
I have driven in the backcountry, going a normal rate of speed, and have had deer jump out and stand in the road.

So either you consider <10mph "careful" when in a deer-populated area, or have LIMA-quality brakes.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:17 PM

15,690 posts, read 15,824,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
No..they are simply captive animals you are holding for your own self pleasure.
I see you have never heard the saying, "Dogs have masters. Cats have staff!" (I know as I am on staff for some cats!)

Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 PM

3,113 posts, read 2,208,200 times
Default This is messed up..

I understand everyones point on this... I have not lived on LI for almost 20yrs..

I used to hunt...dont anymore, I used to..
I hunted in lottery, RCA Rocky Point...think I had to have a Doe Tag...not sure that could of been upstate...

First timeI went hunting...A doe stopped in front of me...just froze..

She looked at me..I just could not shoot her.
Sorry but..I just could not shoot something looking at me..

I have shot many ducks, They are good..

I cant do the Deer..

you know what... I have fed them starving in state parks and on Fire Island...southhaven.... RCA in Rockey Point... In the parks they will come and pretty much ask you for food!!! you can see their ribs sticking out..

People if you see me like that..please shoot me, I'm suffering.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:36 AM

13,659 posts, read 15,192,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula

you know what... I have fed them starving in state parks and on Fire Island...southhaven.... RCA in Rockey Point... In the parks they will come and pretty much ask you for food!!! you can see their ribs sticking out..

People if you see me like that..please shoot me, I'm suffering.
My ex won a spot on the Fire Island DEC sanctioned hunt back in '88 or '89. He wasn't out on the beach long before he took a doe. He had to bring it back to the field station the DEC set up. There it was field dressed and a necropsy performed. Pine needles filled her stomach. For those who are not aware, pine needles offer no nutritional value, they are merely filler. It would be no different than any of us eating a cardboard box.

The poor creature probably ate plants humans planted during the summer, was given hand outs by humans and grew dependent upon them during the season. When they left, she was left to forage for herself among a growing herd and diminished food supply. She was spared the misery of her mange riddled, Lyme diseased body slowly starving to death.

If the herd in Calverton continues to grow unchecked, their fate will be starvation and disease, too.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:39 AM

1,152 posts, read 982,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Shooting something for food = hunting, which is fine
Shooting something just to shoot it = murder, which is not
Shooting deer isnt "murder".

mur·der (mūrdr) n. 1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

so, unless a deer is a human, it isn't murder.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 AM

11,124 posts, read 7,398,615 times
Imagine you're a deer - YouTube scene from my cousin vinny when he's going to go deer hunting... classic line.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:39 AM

13,659 posts, read 15,192,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Imagine you're a deer - YouTube scene from my cousin vinny when he's going to go deer hunting... classic line.
My favorite scene from that movie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island