U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Nassau/Queens border
1,461 posts, read 1,663,104 times
Reputation: 1056

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Instead of posting propaganda, learn about the species and about hunting

1) Deer mate in the colder weather. A female will likely be pregnant over the winter. Males shed their antlers after mating season. Once that occurs, it is difficult to discern males from females.

With the NYS hunting license I can take a make, but not a female unless I have a doe tag. NYS DEC regulates doe tags -- some years only 1 tag might be issued to every 4th hunter. Taking a doe illegally results in significant fines.

2) The loss of natural predators (wolves and such) have allowed populations to grow unchecked. Your article cites mice -- which is laughable given most people set out traps, keep cats and ratters, hire exterminators and such to keep their population under control. Also, the mouse breeding cycle is far shorter and much more productive. Mice tend to have greater sources of food available to them as well.

3) A deer's home range is about 1 mile. They mate, raise their young, graze, and die there. They tend not to roam into other deer ranges. A herd grows and grows within this range putting far more pressure on the food supply. In some instances, trees damaged during winter feeding die.

4) licensing fees help fund wildlife management. What are you doing to help?

5) There is a great disconnect for city and suburban people as to where food comes from. There are plenty of people in rural areas throughout the US (and more specifically to us -- NYS and New England) for whom hunting is the way they provide meat for themselves.
Heard it ALL, Read ALL the arguments PRO and CON.

Pro-Hunters use their own set of propaganda! Sorry to dissapoint you.

 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Nassau/Queens border
1,461 posts, read 1,663,104 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I know you failed Reading Is FUNdamental but where did I say you can ABUSE animals?
Well....basically because your post that read: "basically they are put here for our benefit to be used accordingly" This can be construed to mean that we (because we are the mighty, powerful, supposedly intelligent HUMAN) can do ANYTHING we want to do. Wouldn't that include shooting, killing, torturing, and abusing animals?! Sure sounds like it to me. How many times have I heard people say 'It's only an animal' after they've been arrested and charged with animal cruelty?!

That is the thing I wish to dispell. And animal cruelty and abuse will never end as long as people like you continue to say the things you do!
 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Selden New York
1,097 posts, read 910,051 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I know you failed Reading Is FUNdamental but where did I say you can ABUSE animals?
You said animals have no rights thats pretty much the same thing
micheal vick whould say.
 
Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Nassau/Queens border
1,461 posts, read 1,663,104 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
You said animals have no rights thats pretty much the same thing
micheal vick whould say.
Brilliant!!!!
 
Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,900 posts, read 16,518,508 times
Reputation: 4688
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Heard it ALL, Read ALL the arguments PRO and CON.

Pro-Hunters use their own set of propaganda! Sorry to dissapoint you.
Apparently you've not read enough as you (or your source) was clueless as to deer mating season, instead suggesting that hunting season isn't in the winter as the deer are less fatty.

Can you tell me about the populations of predators in NYS vs deer populations?

So what are you doing to feed the poor people who live in states like Vermont and Maine who use hunting to supplement their food supply?

Have you or a loved one been involved in a deer vs car accident in an area where the population has exploded? Sixteen years ago there were no deer in my suburban Suffolk community. Now I have one that roams on my street --which is far from being in the woods. I don't want to see it struck by a car, but it's inevitable as that's the fate of most deer in this area.

Seeing as you are anti hunting, what do you propose to do to control the population in a manner which feeds the needy, keeps the herd healthy, contributes to further wildlife management, and doesn't cost the taxpayers a dime?
 
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
 
3,686 posts, read 4,518,770 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Brilliant!!!!
Oh boy....you think SpeedRacer is brilliant. Do you play in the same sand box?
 
Old 12-20-2011, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Selden New York
1,097 posts, read 910,051 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Apparently you've not read enough as you (or your source) was clueless as to deer mating season, instead suggesting that hunting season isn't in the winter as the deer are less fatty.

Can you tell me about the populations of predators in NYS vs deer populations?

So what are you doing to feed the poor people who live in states like Vermont and Maine who use hunting to supplement their food supply?

Have you or a loved one been involved in a deer vs car accident in an area where the population has exploded? Sixteen years ago there were no deer in my suburban Suffolk community. Now I have one that roams on my street --which is far from being in the woods. I don't want to see it struck by a car, but it's inevitable as that's the fate of most deer in this area.

Seeing as you are anti hunting, what do you propose to do to control the population in a manner which feeds the needy, keeps the herd healthy, contributes to further wildlife management, and doesn't cost the taxpayers a dime?
how about we control the human Population instead.
 
Old 12-20-2011, 03:25 PM
 
3,686 posts, read 4,518,770 times
Reputation: 1682
Shame your parents didnt feel the same way
 
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Selden New York
1,097 posts, read 910,051 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Shame your parents didnt feel the same way
Ah look who it is my best freind no activities at the senior center today?[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
 
Old 12-20-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Nassau/Queens border
1,461 posts, read 1,663,104 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
how about we control the human Population instead.
Exactly right. If we weren't so overpopulated and each family didn't own 5 cars there would be less Deer/Car Accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top