Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,857 times

Advertisements

I have recently been offered a job in Long Island, NY. I would be working as a pharm rep, so I would be traveling all around the area. I am 23 years old female and know no one in the area. I would really enjoy an area with young people, a night life, and ways to meet new friends. I would be driving all over long island so transportation is important!

Rent is something I know will be more expensive so I am looking anywhere from $2,000 on down. I would love any advice that anyone can provide me as far as where a good place to start looking to live is!

Thanks!!

Last edited by chris1246; 12-16-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,056 times
Not sure where you will be based around, but Huntington has a pretty established night life. It's good place to start if you are in Long Island.

Welcome.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1246 View Post
I have recently been offered a job in Long Island, NY. I would be working as a pharm rep, so I would be traveling all around the area. I am 23 years old and know no one in the area. I would really enjoy an area with young people, a night life, and ways to meet new friends.

Rent is something I know will be more expensive so I am looking anywhere from $2,000 on down. I would love any advice that anyone can provide me as far as where a good place to start looking to live is!

Thanks!!
Long Beach in Nassau County has nightlife for the young. Right on the beach too! I used to live there when I was younger than you.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
will you be responsible for all of LI or a specific area?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,857 times
pretty sure all over LI

Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,157 times
Quote:
I have recently been offered a job in Long Island, NY. I would be working as a pharm rep, so I would be traveling all around the area. I am 23 years old female and know no one in the area. I would really enjoy an area with young people, a night life, and ways to meet new friends. I would be driving all over long island so transportation is important!
Check out Bay Shore, it's close to several major highways (Sunrise/Southern Pkwy/Sagtikos) plus railroad, and has one of LI's best downtown areas.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:59 PM

36 posts, read 94,376 times
Try to visit a bunch of areas before you move.

There is a A LOT of variation between communities in Long Island. You can walk a block and go from million dollar homes to "the hood."

You have picturesque New England style communities on the North Shore, great sandy beaches on the South, and a version of suburbia squashed in between.

Since you're in the medical maybe consider volunteering with a Fire Department as an EMT or firefighter? They'll pay for the training and its the quickest thing I can think of to quickly become part of a community. LI is, with some exceptions, basically is a fully volunteer fire/EMS system so the Departments are very important parts of local communities.

Join a gym, not a Planet Fitness, like a Crossfit, yoga, or a martial arts/boxing gym. You'll meet tons of young people quickly.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
pretty sure all over LI
Does that include the western part of Long Island that is within the jurisdiction of New York City (the NYC Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens), or only Nassau and Suffolk Counties?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM

233 posts, read 753,319 times
I recently moved to LI myself, this is a pretty cool place. For nightlife definitely the south shore, long beach...but depending on where you report to work everyday that might make a difference, surely you will have an office or something right..?

here you will pay brokers fees to get into a place but can avoid this POSSIBLY ...

by utilizing the newspaper, MLSLI, craigslist, etc...

good luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM me - just graduated university as well and came here to find out about LI

now I use the forum to talk about the happenings of my community
shop around along and talk to a lot of different people to get a feel for what is going on...

Old 12-16-2011, 02:19 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
I would give Babylon a look. Nightlife, plenty to do, close to beaches, and solid highway/parkway access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island