Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 AM

87 posts, read 174,344 times

Advertisements

Peace on Earth and Happy Holidays to all, including any and all scrooges.

Here come Santa - YouTube

Old 12-18-2011, 06:02 AM

10,195 posts, read 6,264,283 times
I have so many nice memories of this in Smithtown when my kids were little back in the late 80s and early 90s. All the neighbors would meet and go outside with their kids. People would bring out hot chocolate (mulled wine for adults) and home baked cookies and watch the parade. My kids are adults now and talk about it still. It is something that will last with your children into adulthood.

It wasn't just for the CHRISTIAN families. Our Jewish neighbors came out with their kids too because it was a COMMUNITY event.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,662,640 times
I don't like my tax dollars being used for a lot of things they're used for. Guess what, they're still used for that purpose.
Someone mentioned a public referendum, I'd vote yes, even if my fire taxes went up to cover it.
I SUPPORT MY TAX DOLLARS BEING USED FOR SANTA RIDING AROUND ON FIRE TRUCKS.
I love seeing it every year since I moved out here. I think it's great, they never did that where I lived before.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:22 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Oh come on Walter, I'm sure if each fire district held a referendum on this, it would overwhelmingly be approved by every community on Long Island.
I have no doubt that it would be. But, that does not make it right, (tyranny of the majority, you know).

Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I have no doubt that it would be. But, that does not make it right, (tyranny of the majority, you know).
Umm, yes it does. Its the great apsect of our society that we can choose to approve of deny something by ballot. Whats not right ic catering to a minority.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
He has another agenda.
As if others do mot have their own agenda?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Umm, yes it does. Its the great apsect of our society that we can choose to approve of deny something by ballot. Whats not right ic catering to a minority.
The reason for the Bill of Rights, the first 10 amendments to the Constitution, as expanded by the 14th Amendment to the states and their local gov'ts, was to prevent tyranny of the majority.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM

152 posts, read 398,522 times
The cost to taxpayers & the religious aspect are side issues that should also be explored. However my main concern is public safety. The Vollies are driving around public streets for hours and approaching busy intersections with lights and sirens blasting away. What are drivers supposed to do as per the VTL? Stop & yield to the "emergency vehicle" Some drivers will slam on their brakes, some will panic etc etc. The elderly or young children crossing the street can get confused and or panic and make a bad decision while in the middle of a busy intersection. People can and will get hurt because of this misguided activity.

How about driving around playing Holiday music & no lights & sirens?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
The cost to taxpayers & the religious aspect are side issues that should also be explored. However my main concern is public safety. The Vollies are driving around public streets for hours and approaching busy intersections with lights and sirens blasting away. What are drivers supposed to do as per the VTL? Stop & yield to the "emergency vehicle" Some drivers will slam on their brakes, some will panic etc etc. The elderly or young children crossing the street can get confused and or panic and make a bad decision while in the middle of a busy intersection. People can and will get hurt because of this misguided activity.

How about driving around playing Holiday music & no lights & sirens?
Do you have statistics to prove your statement, or is just a concern?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:40 AM

87 posts, read 174,344 times
I do believe the nanny's are out this morning. No disrespect to real nannys, there are plenty in my town.
I guess we are spoiled here in Point Lookout. The elders who might get confused in the street all have caregivers. We have no busy intersections. The really young children really do have nannys taking care. Older children and elders have no need make a decision or panic in out town. Our Vols drive around town at 5mph, tops, and stop at all houses with kids and stop at all intersections -- no need for anyone to slam on brakes.
Santa's tour of town is expected and enjoyed by all. Just like the 4th of July parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island