Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times

Advertisements

Like, I said, it's all relative.

For somebody that rarely travels out of a 10 mile radius then 20 miles would be considered far out. So for me in West Babylon, who works in Melville, shops in Bay Shore and goes to school in East Farmingdale; Ronkonkoma would be far out. It's all relative.

For somebody that commutes 65 miles into Manhattan every day and night then 20 miles would be nothing. For somebody that lives in the rural country and has to travel 30 miles to the nearest major shopping complex, 20 miles is nothing. It's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM

149 posts, read 360,301 times
It isn't 65 miles to Manhattan. It's 50 from Ronkonkoma and 30 to Queens. Keep exaggerating though.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
It isn't 65 miles to Manhattan. It's 50 from Ronkonkoma and 30 to Queens. Keep exaggerating though.
Ugh, the last paragraph were just random examples. Calm down!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne teacher View Post
Stewart Airport is considered a NYC airport too and I would consider it pretty out of the way(and so would you by your own definition), so using the airport isn't the best way to sell your theory.

By the way, is the name calling really necessary? Save your powerful words for important arguments.

Happy Holidays.
Fail. Stewart Airport is in Dutchess County which IS upstate. That's where you really will see the cows and horses. It's nearly 20 miles further north than Ronkonkoma is east of the city. I don't believe you that it's an official NYC airport please show me your evidence. I have proof that MacArthur is an official NYC airport. The area around Stewart Airport is not an NYC suburb.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 PM

And how could you say official NYC airports are not near NYC? Do you see official Chicago airports in California? No. That's because Chicago is not anywhere near California.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Who cares My MIL is way out east like in London, England

Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
Who cares Nassau Serves no purpose to long island only to queens the property is a joke same for traffic if it wasin"t for the nassau coliseum i"d say do away with it all together.

And whats wrong with people thinking suffolk is all farms? rather have a farm then a condo.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Who cares? Apparently people in Nassau because they can't get enough of it. When you are from LI your distance from NYC is everything. It's all anyone talks about. God forbid you are more than like 25 miles from NYC you will be called a hick. I rarely hear people from Nassau say "Oh ok, so like central long island"...all I hear is "omg you are soooooooooooo far!". I think they will be disappointed to find that my block looks like most in eastern nassau and the yards aren't even bigger for the most part. If someone from North Dakota came to Long Island in Western Suffolk, they would probably tell people they were going to see someone "near NYC". But in NY if you don't live a rock's throw away from the empire state building you are a hick.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Who cares Nassau Serves no purpose to long island only to queens the property is a joke same for traffic if it wasin"t for the nassau coliseum i"d say do away with it all together.

And whats wrong with people thinking suffolk is all farms? rather have a farm then a condo.
What's the problem with it? It's not factual. I have to drive 40 minutes east before I even get near legitimate farm land. I think people in Nassau forget that after Ronkonkoma there is still like another 60 miles further east. I always tell people I live right in between NYC and the Hamptons but a little closer to Queens than out east. I consider Ronkonkoma to be central long island in terms of east/west. There are no farms around here. There isn't even wildlife out here the most you will see is a duck or squirrel and every once in a blue moon a deer.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 PM

156 posts, read 449,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
Fail. Stewart Airport is in Dutchess County which IS upstate. That's where you really will see the cows and horses. It's nearly 20 miles further north than Ronkonkoma is east of the city. I don't believe you that it's an official NYC airport please show me your evidence. I have proof that MacArthur is an official NYC airport. The area around Stewart Airport is not an NYC suburb.
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/stewart.html

Part of Port Authority. Also from their own website:

Stewart International is in the heart of the Hudson Valley in Orange County, New York

Who fails??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island