Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM

200 posts, read 456,826 times

Advertisements

I have about $20k down and I make about $50k a year and I'm looking to buy 1 instead of keep on renting. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom as I'm single with no kids.

I saw on MLSLI.com that they start from $100k to $150k or more....

My question is how does it really work? is it like buying a house where I can take out a 15 year or 30 year mortgage?

I know about the maintenance fees every month, property taxes and property insurance are included in that right? Not mortgage right?

If say the maintenance fee is $600-700 a month, how much would my mortgage be?? (say i'm putting 20k down and the condo is $100k) I'm thinking I can pay around $1000 a month total for everything. Any other fees or payments other than maintenance fee and mortgage?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I think you are confusing cooperatives with condos. Condominiums are fee simple real estate like owning a house. There is usually a maintenance fee that covers insurance for the common areas and outside maintenance. That might be an average of $200-$300 per month, depending on the development. It is not tax deductible. Property taxes are in addition to that and the condo owner pays them directly like a single family homeowner. In a co-op, the maintenance fee includes the property tax and therefore, part of your co-op maintenance fee is tax deductible. Whether you own a condo or a co-op, your mortgage has absolutely nothiing to do with the complex's maintenance fee. It would be the same as if you bought a house. This is basic real estate 101 and I suggest you read a little more about it before considering a purchase.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think you are confusing cooperatives with condos. Condominiums are fee simple real estate like owning a house. There is usually a maintenance fee that covers insurance for the common areas and outside maintenance. That might be an average of $200-$300 per month, depending on the development. It is not tax deductible. Property taxes are in addition to that and the condo owner pays them directly like a single family homeowner. In a co-op, the maintenance fee includes the property tax and therefore, part of your co-op maintenance fee is tax deductible. Whether you own a condo or a co-op, your mortgage has absolutely nothiing to do with the complex's maintenance fee. It would be the same as if you bought a house. This is basic real estate 101 and I suggest you read a little more about it before considering a purchase.
Thanks. Yeah I'm confused. Right now I'm to the point where I just want to get a place that I can call my own. Obviously I can't afford a house.

Which do you think is better? a Condo or a Co-op?

Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,758 times
Without considering maintenance you are looking at about 670.00 a month.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post

Which do you think is better? a Condo or a Co-op?
Here's a link to help you better understand the difference. BTW, condos are generally easier to sell, but also usually higher priced.

Real Estate Adviser: Key differences separate condos and co-ops

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Here's a link to help you better understand the difference. BTW, condos are generally easier to sell, but also usually higher priced.

Real Estate Adviser: Key differences separate condos and co-ops

Good luck!
thanks for the link.

I realized that all of the results I searched for are Co-ops.

Happy 2012!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
co-ops have a major advantage that can be the deal maker ,its far easier to get a co-op mortgage based on your income . the board may reject you but the bank may accept you easier.

the whole reason co-ops came about was because they were the landlords light at the end of the tunnel when they got suckered into going along with rent stabilization.

the problem was to get a non evicting plan going you needed to get a certain amount of insiders to buy.

since many insiders had low to moderate incomes, getting them to qualify for a mortgage could be tough.

with a condo an apartment may sell for 250k as an example.

you would put your down payment down and get a mortgage for the rest.

a co-op is different. the building has its own mortage which is paid through your maintance and you only need to take a personal mortgage for the remaining difference.

as an example your personal mortgage may be 150k and the building holds the rest.

since the bank only has to go out on a limp with you for 150k and not 250k its easier to qualify. the sponser and his bank are responsible for the building side of the mortgage so your bank doesnt really car to much about that side, only what they are loaning you.

there are other differences too where condos have the edge. things like liens work differently .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-01-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
I am in a condo right now. Its a 1 bedroom that I got for $150k a year. I am paying $500 a month for a mortgage and about $320 a month in maintanance fees.

I got a regular mortgage for my condo . Homeowners insurance is cheaper since they only cover the inside of the condo. The outside portions like the roof are covered by the developments insurance.

Condos are a great way to have your own place on LI and be able to afford to live here.

MY taxes arre included in my mortgage payments. Infact in the development I live in our taxes were grieved and actually lowered. IF you have anymore questions dont be afraid to ask.

I am allowed to do anything I want to the inside of the unit. IF I touch the outside I have to go through the HOA for approval. They are pretty good though.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
There are many threads on CD regarding HOA, please read them as they can be tricky. It is well worth your time to hire someone to take a good look at their books to determine how stable they are as well any "special" assessments they are expecting.

Don't let any sales person convince you that life will be a bed of roses in one: 10 Things a Homeowners Association Won't Tell You: Mortgage Center - Yahoo! Finance

Each HOA has its own history so before you sign on any dotted line, take the time to get really know the history of that HOA, their policies and financial stability. For a young person starting out it might be a good place to start, but only if you do your reseach first.

Best of luck to you and glad you are financially doing well.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:20 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
one thing you have to becareful of in hoa's and condos. we only just found this out.

we have a vacation home in an hoa and kids bring their atv's in and ride on the property. the development has its own volunteer civilian patrol .

the question was if they chase a kid and something happens and a law suite awards more money than the limits on the hoa policy then what ?

answer: we are all personally liable and the kicker is home owners insurance and liability umbrellas wont cover it.

they will only cover events by you, your household members and your pets.

i called geico and they confirmed they would not cover a suite like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island