U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which housing style do you consider the most desirable?
Hi-Ranch/Raised Ranch 1 1.56%
Cape/Cape Cod 3 4.69%
Center-Hall Colonial 37 57.81%
Splanch/Split Level Ranch 2 3.13%
Ranch 11 17.19%
Vintage Colonial 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,275,495 times
I like a nice craftsman style, unfortunately those are rare on this coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM

8,911 posts, read 10,002,578 times
For sheer convenience I would pick a ranch - nothing like having everything all on one floor. My sister had a ranch in Huntington and the W/D were on the first floor too, she didn't even have to go down to the basement. But otherwise, I pick a center hall colonial. I also love farm ranches, although there is really almost too much space in most of them.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM

7,632 posts, read 10,367,692 times
Based on my experience with buyers, center hall colonials take the top spot. For retirees, ranches (no more stairs!).

Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM

1,806 posts, read 2,023,833 times
Seven years ago I thought I wanted a split and got a split but not a big fan now.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM

5,074 posts, read 4,756,925 times
Colonials would be #1 by far... we always hated the Hi-Ranches and Splits - drove us nuts looking at so many in Suffolk. You'll literally find block after block of them in many towns. The layouts are terrible for living IMO.

Best bang for the buck was the never out of style Ranch... a nice L style or expanded Ranch can be great. The basements tend to be the best feature for larger families, but even then you'll be tight with 3+ kids. Most 4bed Ranches are a series of tiny rooms and that was always the big downside.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
s13

553 posts, read 414,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Colonials would be #1 by far... we always hated the Hi-Ranches and Splits - drove us nuts looking at so many in Suffolk. You'll literally find block after block of them in many towns. The layouts are terrible for living IMO.
Yeah, big ugly high-ranches are a dime a dozen out here. They're a lot of house for the money, but for some reason I can't stand the way they look. Seems like most areas were just mass-developed with whatever house style was popular at the time, so you'll have areas developed in the 50s full of capes, 60s full of ranches, late-60s and 70s full of high ranches, etc.

I grew up in a raised ranch-style house built in the mid-80s, it was and still is a nice house but I didn't care too much for the layout. All the bedrooms were grouped together at one end of the house, which made for some... awkward times as a teenager

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,804,985 times
Raised ranches suck...looked at them and they all seem to have the exact same layout and no closet/storage space. And most of them have that pull down attic stairs which is a p.i.t.a.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM

447 posts, read 776,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I also love farm ranches, although there is really almost too much space in most of them.
I also love a nice farm ranch, second would be colonial, then ranch.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:20 PM

4,631 posts, read 3,935,952 times
We saw them all in our search last year. Hi-ranches are the least desirable to us since it looks like huge space but when you're in there, it's essentially 1 use-able floor and half of it is taken up by rooms. Also dislike the highly perched deck in the yard.

I grew up in a split and while it's a good layout for living, I think the space could be better used. You have that wide space above the living/dining room yet all your bedrooms are on the other side, over a noisy garage. If you use that space above the living room to add more rooms and widen the existing rooms, you'd have a real nice place. Saw a few of these.

We made our ranch into a colonial - not a traditional "center hall" as you don't see the stairs when you first open the front door - it's just a wide open space foyer right into the living room. The stairs aren't visible until you go into the living room in the middle of the house. I love how it turned out. The only negative is the 2nd floor is just for sleeping (4bed, 2bath) so we never really go up there except for nighttime (and we paid how much for that privilege?!). Not sure what I want... multiple entertainment areas I guess... but we don't even use our finished basement.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-03-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM

3,131 posts, read 2,425,168 times
Where's the love for the Tudor? L.I. has some old beautiful ones. My first home was a Tudor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island