Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 3 days ago)

19,675 posts, read 20,485,086 times

Advertisements

Guess I better dust off the rabbit ears then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,114,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Guess I better dust off the rabbit ears then...

Agreed.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,660,614 times
I said it when they went to digital TV, the picture is crystal clear, and FREE! Dump all pay tV. Now if I gould just get my wife & daughter to let go of the few channels on CV they watch!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,384,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Its over.

Or at least the beginning of the end.

Big Tel and Big Cable are working on a Non compete to keep Tel out of TV and Cable out of Cell/Skype.
Cable Companies & Verizon Sign Non-Aggression Pact; Consumers May Pay the Price | Stop the Cap!

Cablevison will ultimately buy the fiber, no surprises here.
Dumb move. Itll all be Wifi and Cel ISP in the future.

Senior was right with Voom.

Check and Mate.

Crooks

It's NOT over. VZW needed the frequency for their 4G service, and something that might take off in the future..... Cable companies owned it with intentions of getting into wireless phone service. They couldnt compete, so they sold it to VZW. FIOS isnt going away. Is video on fios coming to Brookhaven? Possibly in a new "technology" VZ is implementing. BTW...it will be using that new frequency they purchased from the cable companies....Yes..wireless FIOS. It will be a trial run, not sure when it will begin. It has promise, because it uses the feed from the already inplace fiber the fios is running on. And Senior was the only good man from Cablevision, the sons ruined the company...IMO.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
It's NOT over. VZW needed the frequency for their 4G service, and something that might take off in the future..... Cable companies owned it with intentions of getting into wireless phone service. They couldnt compete, so they sold it to VZW. FIOS isnt going away. Is video on fios coming to Brookhaven? Possibly in a new "technology" VZ is implementing. BTW...it will be using that new frequency they purchased from the cable companies....Yes..wireless FIOS. It will be a trial run, not sure when it will begin. It has promise, because it uses the feed from the already inplace fiber the fios is running on. And Senior was the only good man from Cablevision, the sons ruined the company...IMO.
IMO

Its over, they'll buy the fiber because Jimmy's a moron.

We agree on Senior, he had vision and realized the hard wired home was DOA years ago.
Stay tuned.

Crooks

Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
IMO

Its over, they'll buy the fiber because Jimmy's a moron.

We agree on Senior, he had vision and realized the hard wired home was DOA years ago.
Stay tuned.

Crooks
Vz cant just sell the fiber. They are a utility company. There are many laws which make it difficult to just abandon it. A merger on the other hand...could happen if the govt allows it.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,723,944 times
I doubt the FCC would allow a merger. Fios is not going anywhere. Maybe they are done expanding on LI and are now focusing on the future (4G LTE).. but "leaving" ?? horsesh*t.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,660,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Vz cant just sell the fiber. They are a utility company. There are many laws which make it difficult to just abandon it. A merger on the other hand...could happen if the govt allows it.
I think those laws only apply to the copper wire service. They could probably dump thr fiber without issue.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I think those laws only apply to the copper wire service. They could probably dump thr fiber without issue.
They could dump the fiber, but the problem is they still have to provide customers with phone and internet service. Since the fiber has been placed, they have neglected the copper, which in turn couldnt provide a decent service. Vz is sort of "stuck" in a position. Their plans are to go wireless, but its gonna be a tough, and lengthy transition.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I doubt the FCC would allow a merger. Fios is not going anywhere. Maybe they are done expanding on LI and are now focusing on the future (4G LTE).. but "leaving" ?? horsesh*t.
Leaving is probably the wrong term.

Leasing or selling the pipe may be more accurate.
Either way the sweetspot is no longer residential fiber.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island