Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
During rush hours, I think you can get a bus to Flushing every 5 minutes
Its every 10-15 min at peak rush hours. In my experience that is very optimistic at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You can't just throw out numbers and assume that people are going to find them outrageous because they are higher than what Joe Blow makes. You have to compare them, at best to a similar municipal bus agency, or at least to a private bus operator.

Seanx4's post does indicate that VA pays less in salary overall, but how do individual positions stack up? IIRC, the comparable example was teachers - and they weren't making too much less in VA, it was more a matter of eliminating waste and duplication, which could be done because the system was built from scratch in the modern era instead of being dragged kicking and screaming out of the 1950s.

Seems like of a moot point however, since we now have a private operator that just signed a union conract that will basically keep the status quo. Ergo, my original point - what we will likely see is service cuts and fare increases.
Okay, compare it to Suffolk County Transit. If you're going to compare it though, make sure usage and size are at least comparable. How are teachers relevant or comparable to a bus company's employees??

I think what we'll most likely see is maybe slight fare increases, less waste -- like storekeepers, mechanics, dispatchers, line supervisors, et al, doubling their salaries through overtime, no pension costs and less healthcare costs. What we won't see is $30+ Million in additional taxes demanded from the MTA, for the same service that exists today.

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-12-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Again, the new private operator just signed a multi-year contract with the union that guarantees yearly raises, with the only compromise being a larger employee contribution to benefits, basically a wash in terms of expenses. If their labor costs are going to be about the same, how are they going to make up that $30m?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You can't just throw out numbers and assume that people are going to find them outrageous because they are higher than what Joe Blow makes. You have to compare them, at best to a similar municipal bus agency, or at least to a private bus operator.

Seanx4's post does indicate that VA pays less in salary overall, but how do individual positions stack up? IIRC, the comparable example was teachers - and they weren't making too much less in VA, it was more a matter of eliminating waste and duplication, which could be done because the system was built from scratch in the modern era instead of being dragged kicking and screaming out of the 1950s.

Seems like of a moot point however, since we now have a private operator that just signed a union conract that will basically keep the status quo. Ergo, my original point - what we will likely see is service cuts and fare increases.
I did not expect them to stay with the union as they are a new employer and a private company. But the union carried over anyway. So it's like the MTA all over again. I suppose they had to do it this way because it was the only way to retain/get experienced employees fast as they were under serious time constraints. How can you train a lot of new people that fast? Now that Veolia announced they are getting out of the transportation sector, that's another thing to wonder about ....

Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM

39 posts, read 123,822 times
Anyone else notice that google maps transit no longer has info on Long Island buses. If you put in the option to use public transportation it just shows you via car to lirr. I hope this is temporary because I'm moving to LI probably soon and was going to relay on google maps transportation feature to help me gauge the best way into city without a car for about a year as we only have one care in family at the moment so I have to hump it.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
Anyone else notice that google maps transit no longer has info on Long Island buses. If you put in the option to use public transportation it just shows you via car to lirr. I hope this is temporary because I'm moving to LI probably soon and was going to relay on google maps transportation feature to help me gauge the best way into city without a car for about a year as we only have one care in family at the moment so I have to hump it.
Use hopstop.com instead!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM

39 posts, read 123,822 times
I've tried hopstop before. Not always the fastest route and they look to not always include all the LIRR schedule. Google maps transit just seemed to give more information.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
I've tried hopstop before. Not always the fastest route and they look to not always include all the LIRR schedule. Google maps transit just seemed to give more information.
I suggest you send an email to Google asking what's up. And if you find out, please update us.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Okay, compare it to Suffolk County Transit. If you're going to compare it though, make sure usage and size are at least comparable. How are teachers relevant or comparable to a bus company's employees??
I don't have the ridership figures, but I know offhand that SCT's routes are more expensive to operate per-passenger. I think I remember hearing the figure of $7.48 per passenger for SCT, and I know Nassau's routes cost around $2.50 per passenger. Plus, the average fare paid on Nassau's routes is around $1.50 (with people transferring from other routes), whereas it's around $1.10 for SCT.

So no, an Nassau-Suffolk comparison is no good.

The cheapest routes to operate are generally high-frequency routes that go in a straight line. Nassau has way more routes that Suffolk: The routes generally don't meander too much and just stick to the main roads. By contrast, out in Suffolk, because of the pedestrian-unfriendlyness of the areas (in general), you have more routes having to make detours to bring them closer to the residential neighborhoods.

Plus, the most frequent route in Nassau is the N6, coming every 10 minutes for most of the day (and during rush hour, there's a limited that runs every 10 minutes also), and there are other corridors with frequent service (N4, N15, N20/N21, N70/N71/N72, etc)

Out in Suffolk, the most frequent route is the S1 along Route 110, which runs every 15 minutes during rush hour and 30 minutes other times. A couple of other routes have 30 minute headways for most of the day, but most run every hour or more.

So basically, the average Nassau County route probably performs as well as the best of the best SCT routes.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
So you're saying that the people working at the McDonald's in that fancy, expensive neighborhood can somehow afford to live light next store to the place?
No, I'm not saying that.

Quote:
But in the case of public services (as Interlude correctly calls public transportation), they generally can't be run at a profit.
Why not?

Quote:
Everybody would be packed into inner-city slums (or expensive, crowded places in the inner city) because they couldn't afford to travel further out.
My ancestors started in inner-city slums, and by hard work, including learning a new language, moved up and out in 10 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island