Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Once again people (including myself) got off topic, like on almost every thread.

The stuff I post is complete bullsh*t? Yes, I made up the fact that the US Airforce Academy is located in Colorado. I also lied when I said there are jobs available in Colorado, NYC is the only place in US where you find a job.

If you don't believe me when I say you can find a decent house with a pool for $500K in Poway or San Marcos, well just look it up yourself on Century 21.

Just because I don't find LI as appealing as it used to be doesn't mean that everything I say is bs. I know it's hard to believe that there are other parts of the US that are just as nice as LI.
So that's your M.O.? To come into every thread to let us know there are other parts of the US that are just as nice as LI?

Wow. You sound like a real winner.

Not even that, you post fake stuff.. Nassau's population hasn't grown since 1970. San Diego is one of the most expensive areas to live in the country. You can find a house with an in-ground pool for $400k-$700k in most towns on LI. Colorado and Vermont have nothing to do with East Rockaway. Yeah, everyone gets off topic a little, but I'm certain everyone here knows there are other parts of the US that are just as nice as LI. So if that's your agenda, then you're wasting your time. Just because you don't find it appealing doesn't mean you need to BS everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
You have issues. If you would like me to name the source, just ask.
I am waiting.....
Most people name their source at the time they post the information -- unless the source is less than reliable and they are really only trying to misdirect the thread. Just who do you think is going to take your numbers seriously without a source? How gullible do you think we are?

I really cannot be bothered with people who would like to make personal attacks instead of discussing the issues.

So keep your "source" secret. You have no credibility in this matter. Perhaps you are a real estate agent trying to palm off property in East Rockaway and desperately need to distract from the truth for that reason. Times are tough and people will do anything to put food on the table. Good luck to you.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Overpopulation is the problem with South Shore Nassau, not over construction. JMO but with all the overpopulation in South Shore Nassau, I don't see how anyone finds the area desirable anymore. In places like Valley Stream and Lynbrook you'll end up paying about $400-$600k for a house on a 60x110 lot size, which is ridiculous. Your money will go further in many parts of SoCal these days than South Shore Nassau!
Like other people pointed out, this is complete BS - and since I've seen you post it on here several times I decided to go through the trouble of actually looking up Nassau County's "overpopulation" statistics...

From the US Census Bureau here and here...

Nassau County Population:

1960: 1,300,171
1970: 1,428,080
1980: 1,321,582
1990: 1,287,348
2000: 1,334,544
2010: 1,339,532

Or in other words... roughly the same exact population we've had for the last 50 years

Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Yes, there are village taxes in ER. Not sure how much though.
Also worth mentioning that if the home is in Bay Park, it won't have village taxes... since it's not in the village (despite East Rockaway, NY ZIP code).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Not sure where you're moving from, but if you're considering a home in Valley Stream, make sure you're looking to stay within the Hewlett/Woodmere SD (I believe it's SD 14). This is the Gibson section of Valley Stream, which is supposed to very nice.... Stay out of Valley Stream/Elmont School districts...
Outstanding info on East Rockaway, but I don't get the dig on Valley Stream either.

I have zero personal experience with any of them, but FWIW all three VS high schools (South, Central, North) perform significantly better than East Rockaway. For that matter, both Elmont high schools (Elmont Memorial, Sewanhaka) do better as well!

The commentary on VS I hear from people who actually live there or went to school there is almost always positive, despite the never ending barrage of "it's changing", "too many blacks", "ain't what she used to be", etc. comments heard elsewhere. I've never really heard that much about East Rockaway SD at all - but by any statistical measure it's one of the worst in Nassau County and has been for awhile. Not Roosevelt or Hempstead-level bad, but pretty much worse than everything else out there.

I wouldn't tell people to avoid it, I think East Rockaway is a fine area - very nice in fact. Personally, I would love to live there. I just think it's interesting that East Rock SD generally gets a "eh, not great" while it's on an ostensibly much lower-tier than "oh my god do NOT send your kids there or they will BURN IN HELL!!!" districts like Baldwin

Thoughts?

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 01-13-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 AM

239 posts, read 509,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Like other people pointed out, this is complete BS - and since I've seen you post it on here several times I decided to go through the trouble of actually looking up Nassau County's "overpopulation" statistics...

From the US Census Bureau here and here...

Nassau County Population:

1960: 1,300,171
1970: 1,428,080
1980: 1,321,582
1990: 1,287,348
2000: 1,334,544
2010: 1,339,532

Or in other words... roughly the same exact population we've had for the last 50 years
Just because a population hasn't increase in 30-40 years doesn't mean it still isn't overpopulated. You can't argue that many parts of Nassau are so dense it feels like Queens. The traffic being horrendous tells you something. I would think having more than 1 million people residing on land area of only 284.72 square miles would considered to be overcrowded.
Nassau County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
So that's your M.O.? To come into every thread to let us know there are other parts of the US that are just as nice as LI?

Wow. You sound like a real winner.

Not even that, you post fake stuff.. Nassau's population hasn't grown since 1970. San Diego is one of the most expensive areas to live in the country. You can find a house with an in-ground pool for $400k-$700k in most towns on LI. Colorado and Vermont have nothing to do with East Rockaway. Yeah, everyone gets off topic a little, but I'm certain everyone here knows there are other parts of the US that are just as nice as LI. So if that's your agenda, then you're wasting your time. Just because you don't find it appealing doesn't mean you need to BS everything.
What I'm really trying to say is I just don't see how LI is worth the price. At least in San Diego you have gorgeous weather, beautiful topography, and lots of hiking and other outdoor recreational activity options. LI all you seem to have is NYC and some beaches (I'd rather go to the beaches in Florida). It's subjective, some people rather pay a fortune as long as they're close to NYC. I'd rather pay a fortune for the gorgeous weather and good options of outdoor recreational activity. Plus Long Island is a nightmare to get on and off by car, which is a big negative drawback IMO. Everytime I come back, LI always feels so dense and stuck. But then again LI is mostly inhabited by people who grew up there or their families grew up in the boroughs, so they're used to high density and overcrowdedness; and they put up with it not knowing any better.

Yes you can find a $400-$700K house on LI with an in-ground pool, but most likely not in Valley Stream, Lynbrook, or East Rockaway. I guess what I'm trying to say also is that those towns are definitely not worth the prices, considering how dense and congested they are. I wouldn't even pay $200K for a house in those towns. If you had to stay on LI, I'd go east now because you get more for your money and it feels more like a traditional suburb. Has the OP ever considered Northport, Setauket, Commack, or Sayville?

But back to my advice, if you really want East Rockaway I'd try to find a house with Lynbrook Schools. If not, I'd stay in Valley Stream. I'd probably choose most Valley Stream Schools over East Rockaway Schools. Despite high density and congestion, East Rockaway is a nice area, so it always baffled me why the school district is always at the bottom of Nassau County Schools.

Last edited by JCNNY; 01-13-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I'm just plain old delusional. But hey, at least I admit it.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Just because a population hasn't increase in 30-40 years doesn't mean it still isn't overpopulated. You can't argue that many parts of Nassau are so dense it feels like Queens. The traffic being horrendous tells you something. I would think having more than 1 million people residing on land area of only 284.72 square miles would considered to be overcrowded.
No, but what it does mean is that if Nassau County wasn't overpopulated in 1970, it certainly isn't now. I absolutely can argue that virtually no parts of Nassau feel anything like Queens, save for borderline exceptions such as Elmont being vaguely similar to Cambria Heights or whatnot... and in those cases, I think it's an instance of Queens being more Nassau-ish than the other way around.

What does "overpopulated" even mean, really? Isn't that somewhat subjective in the way you're using it? New York City and it's suburbs are undoubtedly some of the most densely populated areas in the country... but does that mean there's too many people here (hence: overpopulated)? I grew up here and have lived here most of my life. I've never felt claustrophobic or crowded in, and I have a hard time understanding how any other natives would feel differently - at least as far as outside factors are concerned.

The traffic is worse than it was 40 years ago, that's certainly true... but it's (obviously) not a cause of the non-population increase. It's because back then, there were less cars per household and more families with only one full-time worker. Neither you or I were alive to remember it, and in my life I haven't really noticed any significant changes in the amount of traffic. No offense intended, but if you claim you have (since you've probably had a driver's license for less than 5 years - if even that), it's gotta be in your head.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,091 times
Default Noise in Bay park

Over the last few weeks all I hear coming from the park is what sounds like a truck running. Does anyone know what is going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island