Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

I just returned from my niece's beautiful wedding at Saint Patrick's Roman Catholic Church in Bayshore and reception in a place called The Watermill in Smithtown.

Driving from Philly there was a $11.50 toll on the NJ Turnpike, a $12 toll through the Holland Tunnel and then a $6.50 toll through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

My point is this: I was born in Long Island but moved away many, many years ago - I am out of touch with what things cost in Long Island. The price of gas was about .35 per gallon more than Philly, and .45 more than New Jersey. The three days I was there I did some food shopping and even checked out a free magazine listing rental apartments.

Yikes! I don't think I could afford to live on Long Island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I just returned from my niece's beautiful wedding at Saint Patrick's Roman Catholic Church in Bayshore and reception in a place called The Watermill in Smithtown.

Driving from Philly there was a $11.50 toll on the NJ Turnpike, a $12 toll through the Holland Tunnel and then a $6.50 toll through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

My point is this: I was born in Long Island but moved away many, many years ago - I am out of touch with what things cost in Long Island. The price of gas was about .35 per gallon more than Philly, and .45 more than New Jersey. The three days I was there I did some food shopping and even checked out a free magazine listing rental apartments.

Even those of us who attempt to live on Long Island really can't afford it. Unless of course you're a public servant with a guaranteed pension in the millions. Then you're sitting pretty.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Tolls are ever increasing. Can't really blame NJ Turnpike & Port Authority tolls on Long Island. Those are two things that most of us who live here don't have to deal with.

Your niece should have gotten married just before the NJ tolls went up 53% (Joking, but not lying)

Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:

Amazing, especially when you can cross the Hudson thirty five miles up the river at Bear Mtn for a dollar round trip. I think the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge (I-84) further up is still a dollar round trip also (it was a few months ago).
I was behind a large tractor trailer on the Throgs Neck recently, saw the toll amount flash for the truck (cash lane) , it was $66. Many food delivery trucks come to the island from NJ, guess who is absorbing the cost of all those tolls ?

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 01-10-2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
you could have saved the Brooklyn Battery toll - shouldve just taken FDR north to the 59th St bridge (free) and hopped onto the GCp--NSP out east.

There are cheaper alternatives - those who live here find creative ways to make our money stretch here.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 AM

99 posts, read 258,288 times
Did you pay cash or use E-Z Pass?

You could have taken 295 North to 195 and continue north on the Turnpike to save some NJTP tolls.

I prefer, however, to take the Turnpike and pay. Fewer exits, less police presence, can cruise at 80mph the entire way.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:

off topic but why didn't you go through Staten Island?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Just because GPS units tell you to go through Manhattan, it doesn't mean you should. People should learn to read maps.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Just because GPS units tell you to go through Manhattan, it doesn't mean you should. People should learn to read maps.
is that really the case? I've never used a GPS unit.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Yeah, the GPS does tell you to go thru the city. We usually go thru SI but when we came up last year the day after the blizzard we went thru the city because we knew it would be plowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island