Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

37 posts, read 136,382 times

Advertisements

OP here. Just to clarify. I really loved Garden City. Many charming neighborhoods. Really good schools too. We were leaning more toward PW b/c I thought it might be a better train ride.

My main point for the post was, guess I should have clarified more...but I was wondering whether this was a sign that real estate prices on long island may be coming down further....

any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drwhitefps View Post
OP here. Just to clarify. I really loved Garden City. Many charming neighborhoods. Really good schools too. We were leaning more toward PW b/c I thought it might be a better train ride.

My main point for the post was, guess I should have clarified more...but I was wondering whether this was a sign that real estate prices on long island may be coming down further....

any thoughts?
Oh, if only we all had the crystal ball.

My DH has lived in GC (grew up there) and PW and although PW has its own line that doesn't have to pass thru the dreaded Jamaica, he actually preferred the GC commute because of the variety of options (however it should be noted he was not opposed to walking from whatever station he ended up at...some people have to end up where they started).

Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I think this shows a definite economic shift for Garden City, probably fueled by While Flight.
The White population only decreased slightly: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

There is only 1 section of Garden City that is under 90% White (the section east of Franklin Avenue), and it's 88% White, still not enough to qualify as White flight.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 PM

37 posts, read 136,382 times
thanks for the info twingles!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
It makes perfect sense. Old people aren't into buying new stuff. Then they have to learn how to work it. This is the stove/oven that I had to replace when I bought my co-op apt 3 yrs ago:

http://retrorenovatio.wpengine.netdn...inch-range.jpg

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 PM

147 posts, read 543,699 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but Garden City is very difficult to get permit for a pool so that excludes a group of buyers looking to have a pool in the backyard making it less attractive than say houses in Roslyn......

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 PM

372 posts, read 740,532 times
How did we get to page 2 without a little map of the Village of Garden City and an explanation about how East Garden City and Garden City Park may share the same zip code, but are not part of the Village. lol

If I were buying a home in the the million dollar range, GC would not be on my list. There are places on the north shore that are more affluent, yet the people seem a little more down to earth.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times
I would blame the existence other options, taxes, and the selling done by the elderly moving out of the large GC home.

Does Garden City have the snobbery of moneyed professionals (lawyers, doctors, executives, bankers) who carry themselves like late Edwardian British lords? Yes, and so does every other similar town across the United States. If I'm in conversation with them , I just try and find a way to discuss richer communities such as Cold Spring Harbor. The reminder that many towns exist above their still paltry income bracket (in the scheme of things) usually inadvertently ends their blathering.

What does Garden City offer? Its community is pretty, but not uniquely. The shopping stretch along Franklin Ave is long past its glory, in that the Saks, Bloomingdales, and bridal stores are long gone. The schools are decent...similar to most other towns with a similar income level.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Garden City is very difficult to get permit for a pool so that excludes a group of buyers looking to have a pool in the backyard making it less attractive than say houses in Roslyn......
You pretty much can't have a pool in GC. You have to have a certain size property and most lots just aren't that big. Even the bigger houses are not on lots that are that much larger. Often buying a bigger house means getting a much smaller yard. We looked at some big houses where the backyards were about 3 feet by 3 feet. Then the RE agent will tout the great parks system (and it is great) but there's no substitute for having a backyard IMHO.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM

96 posts, read 187,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How would a buyer in GC know if the price offered is too high? What would be the basis of comparison?
redfin.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island