Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's probably the official "middle" of Long Island in many aspects...demographically and geographically.

There are streets I've driven through recently that I liked, but overall, the schools are low performing, and I hate 25/Jericho/Middle Country Road, especially between 83 and where it crosses 25 just past the mall. It is a horror show...that's about 6 miles of everything that went wrong with suburbia, and it's dangerous to drive also.

But you can get a decent house for not too much money, and there are no drive bys or anything like that going on. I'd try to bump up a bit to Sachem or Connetquot SD if I were looking in the same area and price range.
83 and MCR/25/Jericho is Selden not Centereach, though its hard to tell the difference sometimes.

MCR/25/Jericho and the mall is Lake Grove.

That is a bad stretch of 25 but they've made some improvements lately. Anyone who lives in the area knows (or should know) how to avoid 25 as much as possible if they are going to the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
MCR Centereach is on both sides of 97 -- is this perhaps what dman meant? On the south side of MCR, Paula Blvd is the zip code boundary and Hamlet Boundary. On the north side of MCR, Smithtown Polk appears to be the Hamlet boundary while Marshall is the zip code boundary.

The Goodwill store, tattoo parlor, used car parts store east of 97 are all in the Hamlet of Centereach. Unfortunately the entire stretch of 25 from 347 to 112 is the poster child for poor planning.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
MCR Centereach is on both sides of 97 -- is this perhaps what dman meant? On the south side of MCR, Paula Blvd is the zip code boundary and Hamlet Boundary. On the north side of MCR, Smithtown Polk appears to be the Hamlet boundary while Marshall is the zip code boundary.

The Goodwill store, tattoo parlor, used car parts store east of 97 are all in the Hamlet of Centereach. Unfortunately the entire stretch of 25 from 347 to 112 is the poster child for poor planning.

Thanks Walter

Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Thanks Walter
You're welcome S Sectionite.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Yes MCR on the east of nicolls is still centereach - East of Smithtown polk blvd is Selden. My girlfriend grew up on that street and it is the border.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
83 and MCR/25/Jericho is Selden not Centereach, though its hard to tell the difference sometimes.

MCR/25/Jericho and the mall is Lake Grove.

That is a bad stretch of 25 but they've made some improvements lately. Anyone who lives in the area knows (or should know) how to avoid 25 as much as possible if they are going to the mall.
I didn't say that the whole stretch of road I mentioned was Centereach.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

For all intents and purposes Selden and Centereach are one giant town they should just rename Selreach..or SUCK for more accuracy.

Just kidding, it's not really bad, just blah.

And, I said where MCR crosses 25..I meant where it crosses 347. As you said, the entire stretch sucks..actualy, it sucks pretty bad until you get into Smithtown past the car dealerships and asphalt plant,where it a least starts to resemble a real town.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
For all intents and purposes Selden and Centereach are one giant town they should just rename Selreach..or SUCK for more accuracy.

Just kidding, it's not really bad, just blah.
They are pretty similar in every way - but Centereach by far has higher house prices/taxes...and White Castle, lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
They are pretty similar in every way - but Centereach by far has higher house prices/taxes...and White Castle, lol.
The nicer areas streets in Selden are nicer than the nicer streets Centereach.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The nicer areas streets in Selden are nicer than the nicer streets Centereach.
Then I don't understand the difference in house prices. I can scoop up a 2 bedroom in Selden right now for like 90-100k.

Centereach is generally a lot higher. Same schools. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island